• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Upside Down Amazon!

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My BFA Angel LOVES to be upside down! As soon as he gets on my shoulder he runs down to my lap and rolls on his back to have his chin scratched. When we watch tv he lays on back. When I walk around he hangs upside down on my forearm or from my fingers. He likes to be carried around in the crook of my arm like a baby laying on his back. Is this normal for an Amazon or is Angel just a funny kinda 20190216_195249.jpg 20190126_173058.jpg 20190126_173830.jpg guy?

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What a sweetheart!!!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Angel is a real doll baby and a super talker. He is as gentle as can be. He just likes to be on his back! He's fully flighted and will land on a curtain rod and then flip upside down and swing back and forth! I have had birds since the 70s and have never come across any that did acrobatics like Angel! Since he's my first Amazon I was wondering if this is normal behavior for them. He's totally healthy and likes to play all the time. He'll even lay on his back on the top of his cage and crack open pecans too! Lol 20190221_201600.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is soo sweet! I have never heard of an amazin behaving like that but I am hardly the person to ask as I have never even handled an Amazon:rolleyes:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
Oh yeah! My BFA Sam is 36 years old. He has always loved being on his back and hanging upside down. He has ladders on his cage, and he will swing around on the ladder and hang upside down to attack a toy. He will sit in my hand on his back, lie on his side to play with a toy, and hang off the side of his cage, upside down on one foot, to ring a bell. I once asked the vet about this behavior, because I have read that parrots do not breathe well on their backs. He said that as long as he does it himself, it is fine. Apparently he knows how far to go and how long to stay there. It is pretty entertaining!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
One of mine is getting friendlier with the years but I can't picture him laying on his back!

Secret? Not happening. Ever.

One of our members that passed away, Dolldid, had an Amazon that she could do a lot with. There are videos of her and Mango on the forums.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Well I guess it's fairly normal then. As long as he's comfy and happy playing around like that I won't worry. He sure is a clown! He rolls over and laughs on his own, so I'm trying to teach him to do it on command. When company is over I always let him be center stage. He asks people their names, laughs at their jokes, and let's them feed him offerings from the veggie/ fruit platters. I'm beginning to think everyone comes over to see him instead of me!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Someday.......

I'm very thrilled that MC steps off his playstand into my arm. At times, he is even confident when he steps on my arm. Lately, he's touching my hand!

Remarkable trust that we've gathered in the 6 years we've been together!

Wait..... off to check date.

Edit to add.... they moved into our house and began the takeover in 2012.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
That is wonderful! Each Bird is an individual and progress is awesome!!!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
That’s adorable!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
no, no way. Sammy doesn't like to be on her back, in fact I've only had one bird that loved to be on his back. It was my clown of a sun conure Mango who I miss so desperately. :( Anyways, No Sammy is a LCA but I've seen and heard of many other amazons doing this. I guess Sammy is just the odd one out haha! That's okay, I love her regardless lol!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sammy is a treasure! She is truly beautiful, has a great temperament, and has a wonderful mom!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its just a thing that some amazons willingly do and others do not. Mine will flip over to wrestle, but I have to be careful because they can be overstimulated quickly and bite me. Otherwise, they don't just lounge around on their back while on me. My macaw does, but she's the only one I have that does that. Some species are prone to laying on their back. Amazons aren't usually, but its not unheard of.

txdyna65

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Kenny
My YNA Lucy acts just like yours. She loves to hang upside down and play with her toys. She also will lie in my lap and play, but like Melissa said, too much and she gets too excited and I risk a bite.
The funniest thing she does is hang by the chain on her bell and attack and laugh at it. I think she does it to get a reaction out of us, because it makes us laugh.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
OMG, my Sam does the same thing! He hangs onto the chain and rings the bell. Sometimes, he even bangs himself in the head with it LOL. He sure is a crazy bird.