• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updates on Houdini, Mickey, and Scooby

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
As many of you know, Jon and I drove to Arkansas to pick up Houdini SB2 and Mickey BE2 a little over a month ago and while we were gone, I lost my precious Seymour CAG which ultimately lead us to adding Scooby CAG to our flock. Houdini was vetted first due to an eye issue and he's doing really well. He was properly named Houdini for a reason, we can't keep him in a cage to save our soul! He's a fairly well behaved boy and doesn't get into trouble on his own, so we've decided to let him have his freedom for the time being. It's also really brought him out of his shell. He still does not care for hands but will take food from them...willingly! He has a great appetite and has settled in well enough to claim the living room as all his! All birds, when out, steer clear of him because he has now settled in enough to chase them off when they land on anything he feels belongs to him. He's a goofy little character for sure and quite the joy to be around. It's too bad that we don't see more of these guys around.

Mickey and Scooby went in last Monday and we've gotten all the results back on them except the DNA. We were told that Mickey was only 5 and that Scooby was 6 but knew the numbers couldn't be correct. Both Houdini and Mickey have import bands on them which would put them at no younger than 26. Houdini is in much better shape than Mickey. Mickey is a very nervous little guy and won't even take treats from our hands. He's missing the two back toes on his right foot, something I didn't even notice until we took him to the vet. He has a fairly substantial heart murmur and fully formed cataracts in both eyes. Blood results also seem to indicate that he has kidney failure. His kidney number was a 14. We will be rechecking that just to make sure that he wasn't just dehydrated though. To say that I'm feeling incredibly sad and overwhelmed is an understatement. I've reached out with the help of Chandra to find someone who would be better suited to make his life better in the time he has left because I truly feel that I can't give him the time and love that he truly deserves. Just thinking about it makes me want to cry. I would have never known he was sick by watching him though. He is incredibly active and loves to chew and play. We will be keeping his next visit at the UW to make sure that the kidney values are correct before we take him to his new home.

Scooby, who also has the beginnings of cataracts is also anywhere between 10 and 20...it's an absolute guess. They found an irregular heart beat with her but that could just be the madazolam that they used to sedate her. They aren't incredibly worried about it but told me to watch her. We suspect that she may be a hybrid, not that it matters, she's a complete love and has a place with us for as long as she needs one. All tests came back normal for her. I say her because of how she is so willing to sit in my arms and nestle in. We're still waiting for the DNA on her and on Mickey.

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:

lillie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
lillie
Hoping all will turn out :bighug:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for the update, I was just thinking about them the other day. I’m so sorry Mickey is having kidney problems. I love that he will be in a home where he will be doted on in the time he has left.:heart: Thank you for helping all of these sweeties.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry to hear about Mickey. It's sad to think what these birds may have gone through before finding you. It's wonderful that you have done what you've done. Hugs.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So sorry to hear about Mickey. It's sad to think what these birds may have gone through before finding you. It's wonderful that you have done what you've done. Hugs.
I feel so badly about the situation and wish I could keep him but I am so not equipped to deal with everything he needs. I hope I'm making the right decision here.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Even if you don't have a lot of time for individual attention, if he's been with Houdini his whole life, there's still value in letting them stay together, especially if he's not tame and is very sensitive. Just playing devil's advocate...

I'd love to see a photo of Scooby. I'm sorry you lost your other grey, Seymour. What a great name!!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Even if you don't have a lot of time for individual attention, if he's been with Houdini his whole life, there's still value in letting them stay together, especially if he's not tame and is very sensitive. Just playing devil's advocate...

I'd love to see a photo of Scooby. I'm sorry you lost your other grey, Seymour. What a great name!!
I tried to let him out with Houdini when I came home from the vet last week because I thought that maybe being out would bring him out of his shell and Houdini is scared to death of him. He also went after Cisco BFA...he's really aggressive toward other birds. I left him out for the evening and tried to get him back in his cage at the end of the evening. He was a bear to get back in the cage and I got bit really badly. I think that's when I made the decision that he was more than I could handle, especially if I had to medicate him...I had no idea how I was going to do that if I couldn't handle him. I did talk to Chandra and she mentioned medicating nutriberries. I don't know, I'm torn. He's not all that hip on people. I just feel like he probably deserves more than I can give him. We did find a fabulous home for him. He's a good bird. I just think he would do better in a home with fewer birds where he might get more one on one time.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'll get some pictures of everyone this evening.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
You may be right. I thought he'd been with Houdini in his former home and had a relationship of some sort with him. Poor guy. A good home who feels confident to handle him may be easier on everyone. I too would struggle with medicating a bird I couldn't confidently handle.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
You may be right. I thought he'd been with Houdini in his former home and had a relationship of some sort with him. Poor guy. A good home who feels confident to handle him may be easier on everyone. I too would struggle with medicating a bird I couldn't confidently handle.
They came from the same home and both are wild caught so you'd think they'd been together for a while. You're guess is as good as mine. He's a neat bird but man, he's a wild one for sure. The worst part is, I've found how neat the BE2s are...I've definitely fallen in love with the species!:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I feel so badly about the situation and wish I could keep him but I am so not equipped to deal with everything he needs. I hope I'm making the right decision here.
I trust you and Chandra. :) I'm sure you're during what's best for him. Not the same, but I cry over every animal that leaves my house- feral cats, foster birds, etc. Even though I know that they're going to somewhere that's a better fit. I don't think of it as a better "home" because I think I am a good home but not always the "best" home for the individual animal. If you don't think your the right home, that's okay. You've already improved Mickey's life so much.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Heavy medications for Lola and Bitty really wigged me out at first because I really want to get every tiny bit into them, but I also don't want to aspirate and kill them. I just kind of had to let go if you know what I mean and just go for quality rather than scaring the daylight out of them twice a day. But Lola certainly gets enough pain meds in the bunch that he's turned into quite the yelling and biting little man. Yells at me to put his nutriberries in while trying to bite the crap out of me.

Poor little Bitty has just gone wild since hooking up with Maui...I'm sad since he was a such a cuddle bug but okay with him telling how he'd like things to be.

But the cataracts on top of everything would likely make him a better candidate for less flockmates. He might be more comfortable since he will loose more vision. I think you are making an informed decision. And all of us would place a bird if it was better for them.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks for all the feedback. I would like to try and get him out of his cage for some out time if possible and in my house, that is not going to happen! I think that the home we have decided on is going to be really good for him. He's such a cutie...I think too often, people over look the BE2s...I've fallen in love with him but the fact that I can't handle him at all is definitely a factor in all of this. Houdini doesn't like to be handled either but when he bites, he's gentle and doesn't make mintz meat of my hands. Mickey is definitely out for blood and meat! Poor guy...

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I believe what you're planning is right for all of them. You've done an amazing job with them so far and I completely trust your judgement in this situation. I'm glad Houdini and Scooby are settling well and are in good health. I think Mickey would do best with the home you've chosen, I agree with everyone that it's what's best for him. You love him enough to understand that he'd be better off somewhere else, and that's what truly matters.
You're an amazing birdy mama to all of your fids. :hug8:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Bless your heart - you are such a kind soul to rehome Mickey, even though it breaks your heart. Lots of hugs to you, and you know we'll be here to support you. :heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'll see if I can get Mickey's new mommy to join here so we can keep tabs on him. He really is a good bird but I just think he's more than I can handle. Houdini is giving me a run for my money! He wouldn't let me take his food dish last night and then when I gave it back to him, he snatched the pumpkin mush out of it before I could put it down...guess he was in a hurry!:)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I love it when my birds do that! If I can't dazzle my children, at least I can dazzle my birds!!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your a compassionate soul Jen. Your making the right decisions.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I'll see if I can get Mickey's new mommy to join here so we can keep tabs on him. He really is a good bird but I just think he's more than I can handle. Houdini is giving me a run for my money! He wouldn't let me take his food dish last night and then when I gave it back to him, he snatched the pumpkin mush out of it before I could put it down...guess he was in a hurry!:)
:blink::xflove: