• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

UPDATE:WHAT IS THIS GUYS??? (necroscopy result +graphic linked pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdullah

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdullah
Re: UPDATE:WHAT IS THIS GUYS??? (necroscopy result + linked pics)

Thank For Every one

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia

Very good info,im sorry for your lost and thank you for posting that so we can learn.If you don't mind do you know how he get the warms,is it possible to cure it or is always fatal?
I have a gray too and is good for us to know.Is it common in gray or is just a bad luck?

Thank you Abdullah!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

Bear with me but is that the gizzard that was impacted with the worms? or a blockage in the intestine itself caused by the worms?
and Yes I also would like to know the "type" of worm that would cause this...
What does your vet do for testing, since he missed it when he gave the meds to Miso to begin with...Have you contacted where you got him from to let them know about the worms?
You know NOT to give the birds grit, right...That will impact a gizzard and so many people who have the budgie etc give their bigger birds grit also....Not good!!!
Bird that "hull" their seeds don't need grit for the help of eating seeds....
Thank you so much for the pictures...yes it is not nice to see but learn a lot from them...:hug8::hug8:

bluemorning

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Virginia

So sorry you lost your grey,but very happy to know all your other birds are fine.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie

I'm so sorry to read of your loss :(

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne

Bear with me but is that the gizzard that was impacted with the worms? or a blockage in the intestine itself caused by the worms?
-----------------------------------------------

Good questions Bille Faye. Fom personal experience worming a bird can be danergerous and sometimes fatal. If there is a heavey infestation I had one bird I found dead with the intestines that had burst thru the abdominal cavity, and hanging out of the body, loaded with tapeworms.

Te main problem with worming is that when these parasites release from the tissue, and there is a heavy infestation, there could be mass bleeding at these sites. Most birds with intestinal parasites are also anemeic, and this also has to be addressed. Since the parasites release from the tissue these are also sites that are suspect to harmful pathogens entering into the bloodstream and causing septicema.

if considering worming it is best to find out what type of parasite it is and use the correct medication. If the wrong dosage or wrong meds this could compound problems and be fatal. An x-ray is going to show if there is any abnormal size to the organs to help determine if it is a real heavy infestation. if heavy it is better to treat intitially with a reduced dose, AND supportive care such as Sub-Q for hydration to the body tissue, antibiotics to prevent secondary infections, and also address possible anem8ia or blood loss.

From your pix it look like it was the gizzard that was cross cut. What was the food ate prior to death because that is what it looks like the bulk of what is in there.

Last edited:

Cruxon

Meeting neighbors

-----------------------------------------------

Good questions Bille Faye. Fom personal experience worming a bird can be danergerous and sometimes fatal. If there is a heavey infestation I had one bird I found dead with the intestines that had burst thru the abdominal cavity, and hanging out of the body, loaded with tapeworms.

Te main problem with worming is that when these parasites release from the tissue, and there is a heavy infestation, there could be mass bleeding at these sites. Most birds with intestinal parasites are also anemeic, and this also has to be addressed. Since the parasites release from the tissue these are also sites that are suspect to harmful pathogens entering into the bloodstream and causing septicema.

if considering worming it is best to find out what type of parasite it is and use the correct medication. If the wrong dosage or wrong meds this could compound problems and be fatal. An x-ray is going to show if there is any abnormal size to the organs to help determine if it is a real heavy infestation. if heavy it is better to treat intitially with a reduced dose, AND supportive care such as Sub-Q for hydration to the body tissue, antibiotics to prevent secondary infections, and also address possible anem8ia or blood loss.

From your pix it look like it was the gizzard that was cross cut. What was the food ate prior to death because that is what it looks like the bulk of what is in there.
I think we must keep in mind that the veterinary facilities available in the US are not available all over the world! Probably Abdullah does not have access to complex blood tests, crop swabs etc. I myself lost two cockatiels as I could not determine their illness because of the simple lack of infrastructure. Just saying, that maybe in the circumstances, all the vet can do is guess! :(

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye

I think we must keep in mind that the veterinary facilities available in the US are not available all over the world! Probably Abdullah does not have access to complex blood tests, crop swabs etc. I myself lost two cockatiels as I could not determine their illness because of the simple lack of infrastructure. Just saying, that maybe in the circumstances, all the vet can do is guess! :(
I totally agree with this...I have been in contact with him through PM and have sent different information on vets in his area...Saudi Arabia is know for its Falconry and have vets who specialize in this...and can do testing for parasites/worms for birds...I don't know if his vet is one of these vets...I also understand from reading that Parasites are very common in the ground there.... We have areas like that here in the states also...:hug8:

MessyBeaks

Real Name
Leigh

Great explanation srtiels.

Avian Addict

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gary

So sorry for your loss....Looking at the photo's just breaks my heart. Loss of loved ones is so very hard.
Gary

Compassion

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Angela

I'm so sorry Miso passed away,but I am thankful to hear your other birds will be ok. :hug8:

abbydp

Real Name
Tara

I am so sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing this with us. It isn't something any of us want to happen to birds we love, but we need to all pay attention and learn something whenever we can. Hopefully what your little Miso went through will help another beloved bird :hug5:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea

Thank you Abdullah for posting and allowing us to learn from your experience. RIP Miso.

Abdullah

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdullah

If you don't mind do you know how he get the warms,is it possible to cure it or is always fatal?
I have a gray too and is good for us to know.Is it common in gray or is just a bad luck?

Thank you Abdullah!
Thank You NADIA.
I really don't know how He get this worms !!!
and this worms can Affects any bird species.

and Yes I also would like to know the "type" of worm that would cause this...
What does your vet do for testing, since he missed it when he gave the meds to Miso to begin with...Have you contacted where you got him from to let them know about the worms?
You know NOT to give the birds grit, right...That will impact a gizzard and so many people who have the budgie etc give their bigger birds grit also....Not good!!!
Bird that "hull" their seeds don't need grit for the help of eating seeds....
Thank you so much for the pictures...yes it is not nice to see but learn a lot from them...:hug8::hug8:
I DON'T KNOW YET WHAT TYPE OF WORMS ARE THIS.
And about The Grit , I did not ever give my birds grit .
Because its not good for birds.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

I did not look at the pics but I am glad you got some answers. Miso was so sweet, again my sympathies. :hug8:

Katana

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katana

I am so sorry for your loss.

CeddysMum

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')

Oh Abdullah, I'm only just catching up with AA, I am so so sorry about Miso! :(

Thank you for sharing the information with us so we can learn, that must have been hard! :hug8:

Fly free little Miso! :sad13:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson

While the intestine picture was interesting, I had a hard time with the full shot of Miso. (The first one - Just a forwarning for those who may not be able to handle it.)

So sorry for your loss of Miso :(
I hope all your breeders are safe, and appreciate your sharing with us so as to avoid similar experiences within our own flocks!

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I am so sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing by allowing for the necroscopy. Even though the pics are hard to look at it does help people learn and understand more.

I hope you contact the breder from where you got Miso as perhaps his siblings my have the same problem and it just has not manifested yet. They maybe able to save their other babies and get treatment before it is too late. I am a breeder and if this was happening to a baby I sold, I would definately appreciate being told of this problem.

Abdullah

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Abdullah
I am so sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing by allowing for the necroscopy. Even though the pics are hard to look at it does help people learn and understand more.

I hope you contact the breder from where you got Miso as perhaps his siblings my have the same problem and it just has not manifested yet. They maybe able to save their other babies and get treatment before it is too late. I am a breeder and if this was happening to a baby I sold, I would definately appreciate being told of this problem.
Thanks .
it's already done .
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.