• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update: Visiting Sunny

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Family is away today for one of the older daughter's college graduations (not the one who owns Sunny). They asked me at the last minute texting me at work to let the dogs out... They forgot today was Wednesday and that I would be at work!
Anyway, after letting the dogs out, I went upstairs to visit Sunny. She flew out of the cage when I opened the door! I have her out of the cage now and she is sitting on my shoulder. Seems SO content. I've had her sitting on my shoulder for almost 30min now.
She seems to be enjoying her new cage, although I can tell from the cage paper that it has not been changed or cleaned ONCE since I was last here, and that was Easter. I can tell because I don'the use newspaper, I use blank packing paper. I am glad I have the cage set up in such away that all poops go straight to the bottom as opposed to landing on perches or toys. I plan on cleaning the cage before I go.
I can tell she has been nibbling on one of the toys I left her, which makes me SO happy! I can tell from the poop pattern where her two favorite spots are.
It saddens me that I have to leave soon, but I have my own flock to think about. My hope is that, which college semesters ending, there will be a window of time that Sunny's owner is home. Maybe I can convince her then to let me take Sunny...
I'm not going to give up.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Just finished cleaning Sunny's cage. Man, I didn't think it was possible for me to get a gag reflex from bird poop, especially since it is a part of my daily life. Well, apparently a little dried mountain made from a month's worth of poop DOES make me gag real bad!!! Feel so bad Sunny had to sit in there with it, but it is clean now!

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
Don't know if I should admit this.....I'd consider taking her and tell them she accidentally got out.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I wouldn't lie but I might consider giving them an ultimatum if it's bordering animal neglect/abuse. With any luck your animal control is decent.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
or you could be granny and take her on the weekends :giggle:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad you got to spend time with her and clean her cage, it sounds like she really likes you. It's nice they called you, maybe they will ask you to help more and more as time goes by.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Maybe just mention that Sunny was very excited to see you...flew to you and was just so content to sit on your shoulder - maybe they will realize Sunny would be very happy living with you.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Don't know if I should admit this.....I'd consider taking her and tell them she accidentally got out.
Part of the tricky thing is that I was technically only suppose to be there for the dogs... She was grateful I cleaned her cage, but I lied and something like that, it would turn into "Well, why did you have the bird out in the first place?" type discussion.

I wouldn't lie but I might consider giving them an ultimatum if it's bordering animal neglect/abuse. With any luck your animal control is decent.
I've also considered this. I'm going to try other options first. My hope is that animal control won't be necessary!
or you could be granny and take her on the weekends :giggle:
Yeah, I'm thinking of taking a "Hey, I can take care of her while you are away in Kenya... and then I'll just keep her forever, kay?"
I think the fact that they did reach out for me last minute to help with the dogs is a good sign, especially after my cage-swap stunt during Easter time. They know I care and they still trust me enough to ask me to help out (and even pay me for it). I want to maintain that trust as much as possible because I feel like worst case scenario they shut me out entirely.

Glad you got to spend time with her and clean her cage, it sounds like she really likes you. It's nice they called you, maybe they will ask you to help more and more as time goes by.
That is definitely my hope as well!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
So, I've been trying to do some research on what may be causing Sunny's feather loss. I feel like if I can pinpoint a potential (but specific) illness, I could then tell Sunny's owner about it. Maybe she'd let me take Sunny to the vet. Or maybe she won't want her anymore and give her to me.
I read the symptoms for giardia last night, and they seem to describe Sunny's feather loss, eating habits, and stool consistency almost exactly:
Giardia: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
I know you all are not vets, but I could really use your opinions as well. Like I said, I feel like having this information could help me get her to the vet, who will obviously be in a better position to diagnose her.
Here are some photos of well that better show her feather loss. Thoughts?
20170416_074710.jpg 20170510_184105 (1).jpg

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Guardia is a good suspicion. TheBirdSafeStore actually has a kit that you can test for Guardia yourself and send it in for testing. If you have other birds in your house I would disinfect everything very well before seeing them. Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease is contagious and can be tested for by a vet. It could be from boredom or a chronic illness that has went neglected for who knows how long. There are lots of reasons a bird could pluck, it's the owner who should try and make sure it's not medically related.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think Giardia could be a good possibility. Tiels generally do not pluck from behavior problems and boredom, but probably not unheard of. I hope you can find a way to get the owners to take her to a vet, or to let you take her. I would write to the daughter and ask her.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Guardia is a good suspicion. TheBirdSafeStore actually has a kit that you can test for Guardia yourself and send it in for testing. If you have other birds in your house I would disinfect everything very well before seeing them. Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease is contagious and can be tested for by a vet. It could be from boredom or a chronic illness that has went neglected for who knows how long. There are lots of reasons a bird could pluck, it's the owner who should try and make sure it's not medically related.
I actually did not know that! Should I offer to try and do a test for them? I'd rather get vet directly to the vet, though - so she can be treated sooner. But it is good to know that that kit is there, in case it becomes necessary.
I've been super careful about putting my clothes in the laundry and taking a shower after seeing Sunny and before I see my own birds. The only thing that Sunny has been in contact with that is now in this same household is a travel cage I used for Sunny for one night before I was able to go get her new cage. The travel cage has been in the basement and has been nowhere near my tiels. Although I did clean it, I want to make sure it is completely disinfected. Do you have any ideas for the best way to disinfect the travel cage?

I think Giardia could be a good possibility. Tiels generally do not pluck from behavior problems and boredom, but probably not unheard of. I hope you can find a way to get the owners to take her to a vet, or to let you take her. I would write to the daughter and ask her.
That's what I was thinking - at first I assumed that Sunny had fatty liver disease and that was why she was plucking, which, she may, given her all-seed diet. But I noticed that every once in a while she would squawk in pain and start itching the bald spots with her beak. :( That's when I knew I had to do some research.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would use F10 disinfectant for the travel cage, as well as for general disinfecting of cages, etc. It's great because it is so effective, safe, and it doesn't need any rinsing.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I would use F10 disinfectant for the travel cage, as well as for general disinfecting of cages, etc. It's great because it is so effective, safe, and it doesn't need any rinsing.
Oh, I've heard of that before! Know any good places where I could buy some? I'm assuming Amazon!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Oh, I've heard of that before! Know any good places where I could buy some? I'm assuming Amazon!
Amazon.com : F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant by F10 SC : Pet Health Care Supplies : Pet Supplies
I would do a 1:125 dilution to clean the cage with in this situation :)

I actually did not know that! Should I offer to try and do a test for them? I'd rather get vet directly to the vet, though - so she can be treated sooner. But it is good to know that that kit is there, in case it becomes necessary.
I've been super careful about putting my clothes in the laundry and taking a shower after seeing Sunny and before I see my own birds. The only thing that Sunny has been in contact with that is now in this same household is a travel cage I used for Sunny for one night before I was able to go get her new cage. The travel cage has been in the basement and has been nowhere near my tiels. Although I did clean it, I want to make sure it is completely disinfected. Do you have any ideas for the best way to disinfect the travel cage?
The test is $45 dollars and spans 3 days ;)