• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UPDATE Post #21 Keas' in Canada! Remarkable Mountain Parrots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I have an update regarding the diet of the Kea parrots, plus a little more on their behaviour.

They are fed a quality high energy, high protein pellet, fruits/veggies, sprouted seed and the odd soup bone from a boiled chicken or turkey. It seems they enjoy the marrow. Like other species, they dunk everything in their water.
It makes for a slurry of food and lots and lots of cleaning.
They are intellectual to the furthest degree though. Right before the breeder gets to their enclosure and before he enters their space, the male has all bowls unlatched, dumped and lined up to be refilled!! LOL.
Their cage is padlocked and their favourite toy is a pair of new sneakers from Walmart.
Every now and then, they are given whole fruits like melons and cantoloupe. They spend the whole day getting into the fruit and eating and playing. (creates a HUGE mess of course) They've also figured out how to entertain themselves by mimicking hawks and watching the other birds scurry and take flight in terror.

Personally, I am so enjoying learning more about Kea's. Such a fascinating species!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I am wondering about the SS skewers for the Kea parrots. I would think they would require a 'custom' made SS skewer, with the acrylic ball at both ends. Quick links certainly would not work for this species! lol
I must ask the breeder if he thinks they could un-screw the large acrylic balls.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
They sound fascinating Doris! Thanks for sharing the knowledge you are learning about these rare parrots.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Found out a little more.
The Kea parrots here in Canada, are the only privately held pair in our country.
It took 2 years of paper-work to get them into Canada; such determination on the part of the breeder!

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Found out a little more.
The Kea parrots here in Canada, are the only privately held pair in our country.
It took 2 years of paper-work to get them into Canada; such determination on the part of the breeder!
Have they had any success breeding them yet Doris?

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Have they had any success breeding them yet Doris?
Oh no that's a ways off yet; they only arrived here a few months ago.

Oops - edit! I realized you may have been curious about breeding programs at zoos.
I have no idea how successful that has been. Another of many questions I must ask him!

SteinhebelAviary

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Leah
That is an amazing bird. I have never hurd of them. it's sad that they are endangerd now. congrat on your firned as well.

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Thank you for sharing this. Theses birds really are fascinating. I love the story of the male having all the bowls lined up and ready for refills!! :rofl:

glaciermouse

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mandi
My favorite bird - along with ravens and CAGs! There used to be a private breeder in the US, but they passed away, and their birds went to various zoos/parks. I desperately wish I could have gotten one of the babies. They are amazing.

There was one private owner I knew of since then in the US, and he was hoping to breed his pair when they were mature, but he didn't answer my most recent email for an update.

I can see that the pictured bird is still very young (yellow around the beak.) I hope things go well and this individual is able to breed them. I certainly don't think they are a species for the general public, but I do hope one day I can bring one into my life, as unlikely as that is. I am so dedicated to ethology, and can only imagine what I could bring to the field working closely with one (think Alex the Grey, but with a Kea.) I can't even imagine the time it would take to keep one enriched.

Status
Not open for further replies.