• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Update on the rescue budgie with bad legs! (video to come)

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
So I thought everyone deserves an update on the rescue budgie (his name is STILL undecided but for now we are going with Ollie) anyways, the vet gave me a less than 5% of him ever walking again, (said he must be about 3 months old) she said whatever his old owners did, there was an most likely an injury to his spine. He was on an anti-inflammatory for 10 days (he hated it) and now for the update!

You guys aren't going to believe this, but hes walking xD he holds himself high (kinda funny to watch) and his tail is all bend (from him sitting back on it) and he walks (or runs) very quickly! he sometimes stumbles, but that's to be expected, he sings, chirps, sits on your shoulder and perches, YES he perches. His toes are now properly aligned, and he is able to hold on tight, I've moved his perches up higher and he loves it, he climbs all over his bars and plays with his toys.

To think most people would have euthanized him, the vet even told me that this was an option, and to see him now, wow, what a difference, everyone is amazed, it's like the vet told him he would never walk again, and he's like "nah, I won't just walk, I'll RUN, watch me go"

(He's standing on an old spare blanket most of the time)
look at me now.jpg good bird.jpg

(Apologies for the messy seed-pellet face, I'm trying to get him to eat pellets:D)

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
(Apologies for the messy seed-pellet face, I'm trying to get him to eat pellets:D)
And succeeding by the look of it.
Just look at him, what a difference. He's standing so tall now. Wow.
Well done Ollie!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great update. Thanks for not giving up on Ollie. Did you send the vet those photos or let the vet know how well he is doing?
Good job to you and to Ollie!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Way to go, Ollie! :thumbsup:

...and thanks to you, Aqua, for believing in him and never giving up on him! :D

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How wonderful! I´m so happy for you both! The difference is incredible!!!! :loveshower:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
no apologies needed...budgies actually do better on a larger percentage of good seed/ smaller percentage pellet diet!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
That is awesome.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Thank you everyone for the kind comments! He’s really improved and I can’t believe how far he’s come. He loves people and always wants up on people’s shoulders, and loves scritches! I’ll have a video of him running around soon so check back!! :)

no apologies needed...budgies actually do better on a larger percentage of good seed/ smaller percentage pellet diet!
Really? I didn’t know that, xD so how much pellets should I give him?

Last edited:

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Great update. Thanks for not giving up on Ollie. Did you send the vet those photos or let the vet know how well he is doing?
Good job to you and to Ollie!!
The vet called and asked about him :) so I gave them an update on how he’s been. They want to do just a check up and see how he is, so I might do that soon!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Really? I didn’t know that, xD so how much pellets should I give him?
...we try to get a 50/30/20 "mix"...50% good seed mix, 30% veggies, sprouts, and pasta, and 20% pellets. Our AV recommended these percentages. And it's difficult to equate percentages of those three things...you have to estimate the quantities..obviously.

I'd recommend you talk to your AV about what s/he thinks about Ollie's diet...different vets might have different ideas on feeding...;)