• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Rosie

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

Rosie is so very lucky to have you as her owner now. It sounds like Rosie is very happy. Hens are quite vocal too. Its just awful how some canaries are kept..sickening. How long have you had her? As her start in life wasnt acceptable she needs all the added things she can get..like the vitamins...they will replace everything that was missing in her start in life. I use bee pollen as a sprinkle acouple of times a week. Its an immune booster. I get the powdered as mine pick around the granules. Again fabfinches is useful for these.

I use cut apple tree branches in my aviary. The different widths of branch are good for their feet. If their feet are tired. .especially the older birds they go for the fat branches to rest them. A brilliant idea from @finchly on how to get it to fix in place in a cage. I will be doing that myself for my inside flight cages. I have the standard dowel perches at the moment.

Yve Benwell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Yvonne Usher-Benwell
:) Thank you for giving her a better life.

I noticed in your photo, her perch is plastic. If that is her only perch, they’re really not great on their little feet. If you have some branches that have not been sprayed and are bird-safe, you could use one of those for a perch.

Here are some bird safe plants: List of Safe Plants for Your Bird.

IIn this photo you can see that we’ve taken an odd branch and scraped down one end to make it fit between the cage bars.
View attachment 287278

Hi Finchly, that is the only plastic perch she has, she has a wooden one I bought at the local bird shop and she also has a couple that I made from our apple tree in the garden (much to the other half's disgust as I cut off from the healthiest looking branches)!

Thanks for the list of safe plants, will be very useful :)