• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Pico + Time to Begin Hand-Taming(?)

Charqee

Meeting neighbors
Hello again! I posted a week or two ago about my lovely Lovie Pico! He's been doing very well since I got him. He used to chirp and scream loudly, but since I tend to spend more time around him his chirps are way more pleasant and he barely screams anymore. He's very active and bobs around his cage a lot, and when he wants to go out he sits on the perch closest to the door and calls to me. I let him out for 10-15 mins at a time and let him freely do as he pleases (within reason of course, haha). He used to worry me in the beginning because he'd run into the mirror constantly or into the window. Now he's become accustomed and flies back and forth between the window sill and our television.

I've changed his food to un-pellet, but still keep the other brand as well. I'm mixing the two at the moment so he can get used to his new food. So far I think he's enjoying it! He's eating bigger pieces as opposed to just sunflower seeds and millet seeds when I first got him. I'm trying to get him to eat fresh fruits and veggies but it's a bit of a struggle at the moment (he won't touch it, but I think I'll try maybe swapping out his food for the bowl of fresh chop mixed with some of his feed for a couple hours to try and encourage him.) So I feel and think so far so good from what it sounds...?

My question is do you think it's a good time to begin hand taming? I tried to in the beginning but he's still very timid and scared when my hands even REMOTELY come close to him. I use an extra perch that came with his cage to get him back in when it's time for him to go, but even then he sits on the VERY edge furthest away from my hand. I want him to trust me but I don't want to force him to do anything and scare him.

How should I begin training? Is this the right time? What tips/tricks have you used that have worked in the past?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew