• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on our newest family member

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
On Saturday, December 16 we brought home our newest furry family member. Yoda is our 4 month old, light orange-colored, mackerel (that's the name of the pattern) tabby cat. If I could choose 3 words to describe him best, they are: crazy, talkative, and adorable.

Yoda is really playful. He'll find anything and will play with it. Strings, bags, tubes, etc, are just some of his favorites. Last night I caught him playing inside of a paper towel bags, which I removed him from so he couldn't get himself into trouble. Unfortunately, chords are also a favorite, so we're constantly keeping a good eye on him. He'll even play with the mic on my brother's new headset, which my brother uses to chat with friends on our PlayStation 4 game system. Basically, anything he can get his paws on is a toy. Pencils, clothes, paper, are some more examples.

Yoda may not have a bell around his neck, but he doesn't need one! You can usually tell when he's coming, because he lets you know by making a lot a weird sounds and meows. He is very talkative. When he starts running or when he hops up on something, he'll make a noise that is like a mix between a meow and a purr. At random times he'll start meowing. His tiny voice makes them even more adorable. Perhaps he is trying to give us words of wisdom? :lol:

Crazy. He is just one crazy kitty.

Like all cats, Yoda is just adorable. He's tiny, loving, playful, healthy, and is just a sweetie. He can be a pain in the butt, but it's all worth it. I'll try to post some pictures of him soon! :)

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Yoda sounds so sweet!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yoda sounds very cute!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw I love Yoda! What a funny little fellow:heart: And I totally agree: :needpics:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
He gets along really well with our other furry pets, as well. He always tries to play and lay with our bigger dog, Gizmo. He likes grooming Odie. And, as you can see from the photos above, him and our other cat Gemma get along well.

1AF4BC16-7E8A-4A34-B8BA-8086B9EB3908.jpeg
7A2CD7FA-DD30-461C-A5F8-72F59DC3BF55.jpeg
896E0113-0471-40D8-ADD7-E83D1A2E1DB7.jpeg

As for him with the birds, it's been going all right. Of course, being a cat, he's really interested in them, and like Gemma, you'll sometimes come into the room to find him lying asleep on the cage. Still trying to teach him not to get up on it. But, I'll just have to be sure he's not around whenever I leave the cage door open or bring the birds out.

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
She is very cute!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Hey which poor bird is getting traumatized by a cat on the cage? That is VERY dangerous.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Hey which poor bird is getting traumatized by a cat on the cage? That is VERY dangerous.
I know, and I'm training him not to do it. If I see him up on it I immediately take him down. I can keep an eye on him when he's in my room, though. He likes to be with people so if nobody is in my room he won't be either. I appreciate your concern. :)

As for Gemma, she hardly doesn't do it anymore, anyways. I think we've taught her that if she does it she gets in trouble. The only thing she really does now is sleep on me bed by the cage, paying no attention to the birds. The birds don't seem bothered b this. They play, eat, and act normal when she does this.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
One scratch from a nail or tooth spells death if you don’t get antibiotics immediately. You don’t have the luxury of training. Keep the cats out of the bird room. You can’t have it all.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Aaahwww Yoda is so cute:heart::heart: Thanks for sharing!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
One scratch from a nail or tooth spells death if you don’t get antibiotics immediately. You don’t have the luxury of training. Keep the cats out of the bird room. You can’t have it all.
I'm sorry, I didn't know a cat scratch or bite was that serious. Thanks for letting me know, though. I will, of course, be EXTRA careful to make sure these two kitties stay away from the birds at all times. Thanks again!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I'm sorry, I didn't know a cat scratch or bite was that serious. Thanks for letting me know, though. I will, of course, be EXTRA careful to make sure these two kitties stay away from the birds at all times. Thanks again!
I’m so glad you realized the danger and have acted on it.:)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yoda does sound like a crazy kiitty! And I love the name.

@saroj12 is right; cats spell danger for birds. If your persistent training is working, that’s fine... or squirt kitty with water when he gets on the cage? (Is that mean?)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Yoda does sound like a crazy kiitty! And I love the name.

@saroj12 is right; cats spell danger for birds. If your persistent training is working, that’s fine... or squirt kitty with water when he gets on the cage? (Is that mean?)
We've always used spray bottles. I hope it's okay that we have been!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Lol
I was afraid all the cat people would come after me— claws out! I don’t know how it is viewed. I have dogs, no cats.