• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on my Aunt and Sisters cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Talked to them yesterday and they still had no leads on what is making their cats sick. My Aunt ended up taking 2 more into the vet her Aunt uses since this vet seemed alot more concerned with getting to the bottom of what is making these cats sick. I guess there are 2 other cats at her clinic with what seems to be the same illness.
So they ran blood test which still showed nothing as to the cause but did show that her one cat Firecracker liver had too much damage.:sad2: He was one of her friendliest cats. Was very playful with my daughter when we visited there last year. Just a really cool cat. So they had to have him put to sleep.
R.I.P. Firecracker
But the vet is going to do a necropsy free of cost for them to see if that will show them what is causing this. My Aunt feels bad though because I guess when she was trying to feed Smokey the one that passed away the other day Firecracker would come up to her and she would tell him no not right now.:( Which she didn't know, Firecracker I guess never slowed down any he was just dropping weight.
But I guess the vet is thinking whatever virus they are having has left their system by the time they are taken in and tested.
So please just keep praying that they don't loose anymore and that this vet will be able to find the cause of it.

Hoosierparrotmom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
That is very sad, but maybe the vet will be able to tell much now from Firecracker and that will be his purpose. {{HUGS}}

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm hoping it sheds some light on what is going on. Glad they found a vet who actually cares enough to do the necropsy for free.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Susan, what were the symptoms?
A virus swept through the barn cats out at my parents house, and it wiped out quite a few of them. It was very, very sad. But, we were able to get it diagnosed, and we found a treatment for them as well. We managed to get a handful of them inside (those that were friendly enough to be caught) and treat them, and now they are fine. I'm only asking because it was really quick, and the vet said the exact same thing to us at first, that he didn't know what was causing the illness, but they were dying, and nothing was coming up on the test results.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
They loose their appetite and loose weight. The ones that have been taken in are dehydrated and jaundice. Not sure what else they might be doing just know my sister made a comment when she was in town over the weekend about them loosing weight. Just scary if it's something that can be tracked from here to there because my parents have 3 cats too.
My sister is going to learn how to do sub-q fluid sometime today so then they can do it more then just by mouth. I've also told them to do 50/50 water pedialyte in their mouths as well as checking into getting some NutriCal. The vet they went to yesterday has 2 other cats in there sick the same way and they were on the same food as my sister and Aunts cats. But my Great Aunts cat eats a different food. So not sure yet if the food is a connection or not.
I just hate hearing about people loosing their pets especially family members and pets I've met.:( I become a big baby.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
That's sounds very similar.
The cats were dropping weight rapidly and were so thin, and it was almost neurogical, they would stumble and lose their balance, run into things etc. It took about 96 hours for it to officially manifest in the cats, and then it was a matter of a week before they were dead. What made me cry was that it hit the baby kittens too, soo hard to see them die :(
I'll ask my mom what it was that got the kitties sick. All I know is that it was extremely contagious, we had to bring the cats inside so they wouldn't be exposed.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I too, hope the kitties will get better.

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
I read that Diamond Pet Foods has recalled some of their cat food as it is missing something in the ingredients and has the potential to cause thiamine deficiency. I was trying to get the link but couldn't get it to copy/paste, so I'm going to just get it and type it in. The foods are their Premium Finicky Adult Cat and Premium Hairball Adult Food.

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
the symptoms are gastrointestinal and neurological.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Thankfully they haven't lost anymore cats. My sister did give sub-q fluids to 3 of the cats today and my Aunt had to syringe feed at least one of them. And there doesn't seem to be anymore getting ill. So praying no more fall ill and they continue to get better.

I read that Diamond Pet Foods has recalled some of their cat food as it is missing something in the ingredients and has the potential to cause thiamine deficiency. I was trying to get the link but couldn't get it to copy/paste, so I'm going to just get it and type it in. The foods are their Premium Finicky Adult Cat and Premium Hairball Adult Food.
They had been feeding Costco brand cat food. So it's not that one.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I hope they continue to get better! :(

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Well 2 of them have started eating on their own again there's still one who they are having to syringe feed. And so far none of the others are showing signs of being sick.

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
With the liver damage, it seems like they could be getting into some kind if slower acting poison...or eating something they're not supposed to...

I hope they can figure it out and noo more cats get sick!

senorabarb

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I hope the vet can figure out the cause of the illness. Poor kitties.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I hope that everyone continues to improve for you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.