• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Milo

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
So we're doing better. Milo saw the vet again recently, and he's 260 grams now. He was 220 when I got him so I'm considering that a win. My vet thinks he will be at target at about 280- 290, as he's one of the smallest S.I. eckies he's ever seen.
I can usually only get 10-20 ml of formula in him twice a day, but that's better than nothing. He also gets a bowl of fresh fruit and veggies everyday, but he isn't interested in that. No, Milo prefers his food drier than sand. Somehow freeze dried fruit and dehydrated kale chips have more appeal to him. At the end of the day, his fresh fruit is basically untouched and the dry stuff is reduced to a fine dust. It's still nutrients so I'll take it I guess, but it does frustrate me. I never thought I would have to convince a bird to eat fresh fruit.
IMG_20181111_131152[1].jpg IMG_20181111_131202[1].jpg
Socially, I couldn't be happier with him. He is my cuddle bug and loves to hang out with me. He never nips or bites, and is still a really quiet boy. The only times I really get a peep out of him is when I talk to him. For every two or three sentences I say, he will make an 'aww' or 'ehhh' sound. Just to let me know he's listening I guess. Only other time I hear from him is in the shower, he loves to shout in the shower.
IMG_20181106_144734[1].jpg

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:heart2: Milo....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute! I'm glad he's doing better.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Does anyone have any ideas on how to best convert Milo to the fresh stuff? I don't think the freeze dried fruit and veg is as good for him as the real stuff is, but I feel stuck as it's all I can get him to eat.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Mix the fresh and the dried in the same bowl. Keep reducing the dried. Once he realizes how good the fresh is, he won't bother with the dried. Worked for Sergei!

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I've had really limited success with that method. Usually he ignores a mix even more than he ignores the fresh. Although lately he's been eating at least half of his fresh too, so we are making slow progress.

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
:hug8:He's adorable!!:heart:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Have you tried chopping it up in different sizes and shapes? Or perhaps hanging it on a skewer? My bird tends to eat more fresh produce when it's on a skewer

Susan in So Cal

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Have you tried chopping it up in different sizes and shapes? Or perhaps hanging it on a skewer? My bird tends to eat more fresh produce when it's on a skewer
That's a great idea! It's funny, I serve her lot's of items on skewers, but mostly think I can cut in chunks. I hadn't thought of adding greens to the skewers. Duh!! :)

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
He's scared of the food skewers. I have no idea why. I love Milo dearly, but he is a bit of a whimp.