• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Keoki

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe you can keep Gary. Keoki might enjoy the company even though they may not interact directly.

I don't consider the bowls deep but you don't have to use them and can attach shallower bowls to the cage temporarily until you are comfortable with the bowls. With the white cage you will get fancy bowls that are decorated on the outside. At least that's what the white cages used to come with. The removable play top is a plus. For me that was the hardest part of the cage to put together but after putting together a few I started to just do it my way instead of following their directions.
bowl.jpg

Sound like Keoki is having fun. A messy cage generally means a happy and busy bird. It's great that he loves the Harrison's. I sent them an email and they are sending me some samples.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
They do keep each other company. Gary is so sweet, but I really can't handle two birds. He is always wanting to come and see Keoki, who "will" hurt him. And I can't clip him again. He is just getting his confidence again. But if I can not move fast enough and he is attacked by Keoki, I will feel so guilty. They are both inside their cages when we are not there, and out when we are home. After a while though I have to put Gary inside because he wants to be social. I have an auto immune disease and a really bad knee. I don't move so well or very fast, so I know my limits. I was asked to take on Gary out of neglect. Now that he is doing so well, I am hoping the woman at the vets office will take him.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
The bowls I got with my Prevue cage are dlb that deep. I was like "what am I going to use these for. May be I can used them in my kitchen or at work. All my birds have been on Harrisons, Goldenfeast, and lafeber's nutri-berries along with fresh veggies, etc. Keoki is also really liking those baked treats you suggested. Not at first but now he devorus them. I want to order the red palm oil birdie bread from Harrisons.

Last edited:

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
So I re-read the email I got from the bird store. They wanted to charge me 550.00 for shipping alone, for 2- 60lb boxes. Didn’t even include the cage. They said it was UPS and that was their discounted rate. Ha! :angry101:

That’s so ridiculous and highway robbery. Just because I live in Hawaii doesn’t give people the right to over charge us on EVERYTHING!! This was birdcagesnow.com. Am I allowed to say the name? Sorry about the rant. :carryon:

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
550 for shipping. That's crazy. I highly doubt that anyone would pay for that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any update on the cage? How is the very cute Keoki doing? Post more photos when you get a chance.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Any update on the cage? How is the very cute Keoki doing? Post more photos when you get a chance.
Do you really want to know?! Ha! Okay then, Cage situation is a nightmare. Chiquita cage is still on backorder, but still says it’s in stock. :bash: They also have my address wrong now on the shipping, they dropped my apt #. So they’ve tried to get me to cancel twice now and reorder since it’s says it’s in stock. Per Petco CS “So it’s backordered, and we don’t know for how long, but cancel this order and reorder it again since it says in stock” what!!?? I did not cancel but I ordered the same cage he has now but in a larger wider size from Petco, but I did it from the store. And the lady waived the surcharge. Said and still says it’s in stock, but two days later, now on backorder. I contacted the mgr at the store, who called CS and spoke to 5 different people. They tried to convince him to convince me to cancel both orders now. He told them thats ridiculous. Now he has a call into his general manager. I just seems I can’t get a larger cage than what he has now unless it’s a flight cage. The one flight cage I ordered from Amazon got returned as soon as I opened the box to discover it wasn’t the cage I ordered. :banghead:Wasn’t even the cage shown in the picture. Ugh! I am so frustrated and very discouraged.

Keoki is doing better. Calming down much faster than before when I put him in his cage. But he ALWAYS just wants out, especially if I am home. I will try and take some new pics this weekend. Gary is getting “in your face” friendlier. :cool4: Like “hello” He will step up without too much hesitation now. He’s such a funny bird. :laugh:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you really want to know?! Ha! Okay then, Cage situation is a nightmare. Chiquita cage is still on backorder, but still says it’s in stock. :bash: They also have my address wrong now on the shipping, they dropped my apt #. So they’ve tried to get me to cancel twice now and reorder since it’s says it’s in stock. Per Petco CS “So it’s backordered, and we don’t know for how long, but cancel this order and reorder it again since it says in stock” what!!?? I did not cancel but I ordered the same cage he has now but in a larger wider size from Petco, but I did it from the store. And the lady waived the surcharge. Said and still says it’s in stock, but two days later, now on backorder. I contacted the mgr at the store, who called CS and spoke to 5 different people. They tried to convince him to convince me to cancel both orders now. He told them thats ridiculous. Now he has a call into his general manager. I just seems I can’t get a larger cage than what he has now unless it’s a flight cage. The one flight cage I ordered from Amazon got returned as soon as I opened the box to discover it wasn’t the cage I ordered. :banghead:Wasn’t even the cage shown in the picture. Ugh! I am so frustrated and very discouraged.

Keoki is doing better. Calming down much faster than before when I put him in his cage. But he ALWAYS just wants out, especially if I am home. I will try and take some new pics this weekend. Gary is getting “in your face” friendlier. :cool4: Like “hello” He will step up without too much hesitation now. He’s such a funny bird. :laugh:

That's absolutely crazy. The cage has to be in stock. They are even selling it through ebay. Avian Adventures Chiquita Playtop Bird Cage 617050020058 | eBay Something is wrong with their website at this time and it shows lots of things being out of stock and no price even being listed. If you click on certain categories such as cages nothing pops up. Maybe it will be fixed and they will realize that the cages are available. I would try again, if I were you, because it just doesn't seem as if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing and they need to check again. I feel bad for you. Shouldn't be that difficult to get a decent cage.

Good that Keoki is doing better. He just wants to come out and play and be with you. Very sweet. My birds were together with their siblings so they didn't mind being caged that much when I was busy or not around. They had their siblings to hang out with. Gary sounds like he is doing better, too.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
That's absolutely crazy. The cage has to be in stock. They are even selling it through ebay. Avian Adventures Chiquita Playtop Bird Cage 617050020058 | eBay Something is wrong with their website at this time and it shows lots of things being out of stock and no price even being listed. If you click on certain categories such as cages nothing pops up. Maybe it will be fixed and they will realize that the cages are available. I would try again, if I were you, because it just doesn't seem as if the right hand knows what the left hand is doing and they need to check again. I feel bad for you. Shouldn't be that difficult to get a decent cage.

Good that Keoki is doing better. He just wants to come out and play and be with you. Very sweet. My birds were together with their siblings so they didn't mind being caged that much when I was busy or not around. They had their siblings to hang out with. Gary sounds like he is doing better, too.
Yeah it’s pretty nuts. I called again tonight had CS just look up the cages again, yep in all are stock, different cages and colors! I asked how many were in stock, that they couldn’t tell me. They didn’t know it was me, I called looking for information, not about my orders. I can not get them through eBay or amazon either. I looked in to an A&E flight cage 32x21x63 on Amazon. Should be here by the 7th. Maybe it will work, if not back it goes. I still can’t believe they changed my shipping info too on the Chiquita order. They told me I’d have to cancel it and reorder for them to fix it. It was correct, nothing was missing. It’s just strange. I believe someone screwed up and now thay are just waiting out the 14 days then they will just cancel it themselves. That’s what they told me if it doesn’t get restocked I have 14 days. Actually i have 7 days left on the Chiquita cage before they cancel.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would call them and speak with a supervisor. Let them know how disappointed and frustrated you are since everything was set up and you know that the cage is not out of stock based on the fact that it is available from them through ebay and also available on their website. Tell them you ordered in good faith and they messed up and you expect them to fix things and send you the order. You shouldn't have to cancel and reorder and cancel and reorder again. Did they charge your credit card? If you have a copy of your order, too, then you can even let them know that everything was correct to begin with and that they totally messed up and you want them to fix things.
At least with the A&E you are not getting a surcharge but they should honor the price for the Chiquita and not surcharge you for that because of the hoops you have had to jump through with them and the errors they have made. I think it's funny that they have a photo of the A&E flight with a cockatoo on top of it. It is definitely not appropriate for a cockatoo.

Hope things get better with the cage "stuff". BTW, you can also call Midwest Homes for Pets and see if anything has been set up for a cage to be shipped to you. The cages usually get sent directly from Midwest. At least that's how they were sent to me. In fact Midwest has a record of all of my purchases.

Looking forward to more photos of Keoki and you can also add some photos of Gary. My first budgie looked like him.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I am so discouraged... I have contacted the supervisor of our local store, he is working on it and has a call into his district manager. I really don’t know what else to do other than cancel. Eventually, they will cancel my orders anyway. I’ve told him everything thing. When I ordered the second cage I was not expecting it too wouldn’t be shipped and BO when it says it’s in stock. So ridiculous!. When you call CS they just say the same thing, a line of bull.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even though the supervisor is working on it you still might want to call into Petco online and talk to one of those supervisors. It's just a bunch of BS as you have pointed out. Absolutely makes no sense. They need to follow through with what they've promised especially since the cage shows as being in stock both on the website and on the Ebay site. I really hope you can get this worked out to your satisfaction.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Even though the supervisor is working on it you still might want to call into Petco online and talk to one of those supervisors. It's just a bunch of BS as you have pointed out. Absolutely makes no sense. They need to follow through with what they've promised especially since the cage shows as being in stock both on the website and on the Ebay site. I really hope you can get this worked out to your satisfaction.
Called Petco CS and spoke to a Supervisor. She too thought it was totally ridiculous, oh and by the way the Chiquita cage I ordered on the 19th was cancelled as of today - I did not cancel it. Anyway, since I got an email from Petco saying the Chiquita in Platinum was back in stock yesterday, the Supervisor ordered that one, gave me the same price as the white one I ordered and took off the surcharge. So I got it for $346.31 out the door. I told her that originally I didn’t mind paying the surcharge because I understand this is Hawaii and it cost more to ship here. She said “that’s not going to happen, and waived it. She also is escalating my case to her Supervisor, she said heads are gonna roll. LOL - and she gave me her direct Petco email address. She has two free flighted budgies. Awww a bird lover. She said she is going to watch this like a hawk, and will be calling to follow up or if anything changes.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Called Petco CS and spoke to a Supervisor. She too thought it was totally ridiculous, oh and by the way the Chiquita cage I ordered on the 19th was cancelled as of today - I did not cancel it. Anyway, since I got an email from Petco saying the Chiquita in Platinum was back in stock yesterday, the Supervisor ordered that one, gave me the same price as the white one I ordered and took off the surcharge. So I got it for $346.31 out the door. I told her that originally I didn’t mind paying the surcharge because I understand this is Hawaii and it cost more to ship here. She said “that’s not going to happen, and waived it. She also is escalating my case to her Supervisor, she said heads are gonna roll. LOL - and she gave me her direct Petco email address. She has two free flighted budgies. Awww a bird lover. She said she is going to watch this like a hawk, and will be calling to follow up or if anything changes.
That is fantastic news. $346.31 is a great deal for you, too. I really really hope you and Keoki both like it after all of this. You were lucky that the supervisor is a bird lover. It's good that you have someone who will stand up for you and support you. Still don't understand why it states that the white is in stock on their website and yet that couldn't be ordered. However, the platinum is nice. The AA Medianas I have are all platinum.
Cute photo with Gary checking out Keoki. Keoki doesn't seem interested in Gary yet which is a good thing. Did Keoki open the pear link? My red-bellies are very good at doing that and sometimes they even tighten them. BTW, have you considered having Keoki's band removed? You may want to talk to the vet about removing that. Not sure if you need to keep that on in Hawaii.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
That is fantastic news. $346.31 is a great deal for you, too. I really really hope you and Keoki both like it after all of this. You were lucky that the supervisor is a bird lover. It's good that you have someone who will stand up for you and support you. Still don't understand why it states that the white is in stock on their website and yet that couldn't be ordered. However, the platinum is nice. The AA Medianas I have are all platinum.
Cute photo with Gary checking out Keoki. Keoki doesn't seem interested in Gary yet which is a good thing. Did Keoki open the pear link? My red-bellies are very good at doing that and sometimes they even tighten them. BTW, have you considered having Keoki's band removed? You may want to talk to the vet about removing that. Not sure if you need to keep that on in Hawaii.
Well, it’s even more fantastic if they actually ship it. Haha! Seems like I now have someone in my court, and a bird lover to boot. She wants me to take a picture with Keoki and the cage when it’s received, so she can put it up on her wall in her office. She isn’t sure why these cages say “in stock,” then you order one and it goes to backorder. She is looking in to that as well as Prevue company too. That’s why we ordered the platinum color, because of the email I got yesterday saying it was back in stock. She said to save it. I also have a screenshot of it too. I asked her if giving me a discount or waiving the surcharge has anything to do with them not wanting to ship it. She said absolutely not, those fees as discounts are absorbed by Petco and doesn’t affect the manufacturer at all. So she said something is very wrong.

Keoki didn’t unscrew it, I left it like that. He’s kinda not wanting Gary to be there, he went after him today so I had to move Gary. I will never leave them unsupervised. Gary has shown playfulness towards Keoki, but Keoki isn’t interested.