• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Keoki

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Sorry, my mistake. I keep thinking of discounts in percentages. :D

You are welcome. I do hope it works out. You might think it a bit big so put a lot of perches and some ladders in it for him to climb around or some rope perches that can be shaped in different ways. What are you going to do with the other one? You may want to keep him in that one and just let him see the new one and move in when you think he will be OK in the A&E. Good luck!
Wish you could have gotten the Chiquita at a reasonable price with free or low cost shipping. I do think the front door lock is better on the A&E.
I will return the one I have. amazon already knows that parts on it was damaged. I just really liked the cage other than the inside height. It won’t be a problem.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How high is the interior of the cage he is in now? The A&E is 30" high inside. I purchased it because I did like the measurements. I was originally going to purchase the 24X22 play top. You may need to keep everything low for now but depends on how he does with that cage.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
How high is the interior of the cage he is in now? The A&E is 30" high inside. I purchased it because I did like the measurements. I was originally going to purchase the 24X22 play top. You may need to keep everything low for now but depends on how he does with that cage.
35” this is how I have his cage now nothing over 12-15” high. But you can see how low it is to the ground.

F5BF7CF1-45B6-48FA-955C-64DC1010B4AC.jpeg FD73E2CE-CACD-440E-8B43-0C9A77681554.jpeg

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
35” this is how I have his cage now nothing over 12-15” high. But you can see how low it is to the ground.

View attachment 292488 View attachment 292489
What scares me is that he gets adventurous, and will climb to the top and not know how to get down. I wish there was a way to limit the space on top, to limit his climbing a little. The AE cage stands taller than this one, easier to clean for me too.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That cage looks nice in your photos. The A&E will be a bit shorter but wider. No shelf on the bottom part which is something I really like about the Chiquitas. I understand where you are coming from about being concerned that if he climbs up he won't be able to get down. That's why rope perches are great because you can angle them. Set up perches and platforms as steps to some extent. Is he steady when he perches? Does he like to climb a lot?
I purchased the 3223 A&E for Scully. Never had an A&E cage and mybirdstore.com had a great sale. Scully and his brother, Mulder, shared a beautiful Marvelous Chateau XL cage but Scully got very sick and I had to separate them. I had to move Scully into a smaller cage but when he got better I wanted to move him into a larger one by himself. When I got the A&E I just wasn't comfortable moving him into that. He still gets off balance every now and then (VERY rarely) although he climbs and hangs upside down from the top of the cage quite nicely but this is not a high cage. I purchased 2 Chiquitas a few weeks after the A&E and decided to give them to his divorced parents :D, Lucy and Ricky. Two of his youngest brothers have ruby Chiquitas and I wanted to purchase another one in that color for the "baby" brother but the only colors available now are platinum and white.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Yeah I’m kind bummed there is no shelf down on the bottom of the stand. The cage I have Gary in has a shelf. But that’s what my husband is for, he loves getting out the power tools :dance2: he will make me a shelf. Keoki just needs to grow up a little and learn how to navigate so as not to give me a heart attack everytime he is in his cage. Rio my Senegal was an excellent climber. She was all over her cage. She had no problem climbing in or out of her cage. She got no less than 4-5 hours our of her cage everyday, and more on the weekends. Your birds sound great. It’s nice to discuss these thing with like minded people. You are the only one really who has walked me through this.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah I’m kind bummed there is no shelf down on the bottom of the stand. The cage I have Gary in has a shelf. But that’s what my husband is for, he loves getting out the power tools :dance2: he will make me a shelf. Keoki just needs to grow up a little and learn how to navigate so as not to give me a heart attack everytime he is in his cage. Rio my Senegal was an excellent climber. She was all over her cage. She had no problem climbing in or out of her cage. She got no less than 4-5 hours our of her cage everyday, and more on the weekends. Your birds sound great. It’s nice to discuss these thing with like minded people. You are the only one really who has walked me through this.

Thanks. There are lots of supportive and knowledgeable people here. It's a very nice community. I love all birds but have a special place for Pois. Topics about red-bellied parrots really draw me in. It seems as if several people have been getting a red-bellied or been looking for one over the past few years.
May I ask what happened to Rio?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Ok your not going to believe this but I just ordered the Chiquita cage from Bird Cages Now. It went through with free shipping but that’s not what their website says about Hawaii. I wonder if
Thanks. There are lots of supportive and knowledgeable people here. It's a very nice community. I love all birds but have a special place for Pois. Topics about red-bellied parrots really draw me in. It seems as if several people have been getting a red-bellied or been looking for one over the past few years.
May I ask what happened to Rio?
Oh it’s a loooong story, but the short of it is Rio was an extremely nervous bird, and we just had too much activity going on for her to handle. It was like torchure for her. So we made the decision to rehomed her with a super nice lady who had no young kids or other animals. She got a great home. And the person who adopted her (I can’t remember her name) she just adores her. She’s in the right place. I cried for a long time, but I still had Kiwi, and she got me through it. I love all birds too, and finding this guy was a miracle. I’ve always dreamed of owning one. He’s a great lil guy, I just want to do good by him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok your not going to believe this but I just ordered the Chiquita cage from Bird Cages Now. It went through with free shipping but that’s not what their website says about Hawaii. I wonder if

Oh it’s a loooong story, but the short of it is Rio was an extremely nervous bird, and we just had too much activity going on for her to handle. It was like torchure for her. So we made the decision to rehomed her with a super nice lady who had no young kids or other animals. She got a great home. And the person who adopted her (I can’t remember her name) she just adores her. She’s in the right place. I cried for a long time, but I still had Kiwi, and she got me through it. I love all birds too, and finding this guy was a miracle. I’ve always dreamed of owning one. He’s a great lil guy, I just want to do good by him.

I hope it actually goes through and they don't bill you extra for shipping. I wonder if they will contact you to tell you shipping is extra. I hope not! Let me know. I noticed that they made the notation that the cages now longer come with the yellow cow wood. It's good that they did that. I was surprised when I received the white ones with dowels and that was in 2016. I expected the cow wood. I called Midwest and they sent me cow wood perches. If they charge you extra on your cc for shipping make sure to dispute it since it doesn't come up in the order but I did see on their website that you are supposed to contact them for shipping charges if you are shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and other U.S. territories. Good luck!

Sorry about Rio but good that you found a wonderful home for her. Keoki is very cute and sounds like he is very sweet. I consider red-bellies to be intelligent goofballs.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy

I hope it actually goes through and they don't bill you extra for shipping. I wonder if they will contact you to tell you shipping is extra. I hope not! Let me know. I noticed that they made the notation that the cages now longer come with the yellow cow wood. It's good that they did that. I was surprised when I received the white ones with dowels and that was in 2016. I expected the cow wood. I called Midwest and they sent me cow wood perches. If they charge you extra on your cc for shipping make sure to dispute it since it doesn't come up in the order but I did see on their website that you are supposed to contact them for shipping charges if you are shipping to Alaska, Hawaii and other U.S. territories. Good luck!

Sorry about Rio but good that you found a wonderful home for her. Keoki is very cute and sounds like he is very sweet. I consider red-bellies to be intelligent goofballs.
I didn’t even read the site until after my order went through. I looked up the cage and went to the different sites that carried it, everyone either wouldn’t ship or the charge was huge to ship, except for this one. I clicked on them, saw the cage and went straight through ordering it, I put in my shipping address, got no warning, put in my credit card information and hit the button, order was confirmed. I will keep you posted! But not holding my breath. I don’t want to wait too long to cancel the one from Petco... man all these decisions!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What happened with the Chiquita? Are they still shipping it for free?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I still haven't heard anything. I did send an email and I want to call but afraid I will not like what I will hear. They have not tried to call me :geek:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
At least you emailed them. It's up to them to respond. Check your cc info and check the amount that is being charged.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
What happened with the Chiquita? Are they still shipping it for free?
Ok here is the poop I mean scoop... LOL :lol: - the cage that I ordered was approximately 374.00, they finally emailed me and said that it would be an additional 250.00 to ship, but they would sent it to me for $550.00 out the door, because I shouldn't have been able to order in the first place. So after work last night, I called Petco. They have the same cage for 448.00. and but they wanted to charge me 138.00 surcharge to ship it, with tax it would be over 600.00. But then I saw that they have a "price match". So I called and they said that if I could find it cheaper at walmart, target, amazon, and a few other places, they would match the price, but Id still have the surcharge. So I went on Walmart, then to Amazon, cuz I knew they had it roughly 336.00. Took a picture of the cage and price on amazon, and called Petco back. And they matched it but had to add on the 138.00 surcharge total $490. ish. :cantwait: So I paid a little more than I wanted to, but not as much as I would have. :2cents:
Now I am waiting on Petco to process and ship it. I hope it's everything I am looking for, cuz I have spent so much time on trying to get this cage. :dancing::yahoo:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good for you. Glad you were able to do that. I assume that you canceled the one from the Bird store. What color did you get? I really, really hope you are happy with it. I think you will be in for a surprise on how easy it is to put together and how sturdy the cage is. If there are issues then you can deal with Petco or Midwest. Hoping that everything works out. One place is actually selling the Chiquita for @ $600. I was totally shocked when I saw that.
How is Keoki doing? AND how is Gary?

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Yes, I told them to cancel the one from the bird store. He was very nice about it even after, I was like "yeah but, how was I even able to order it" Anyway, I love the fact that the playtop comes right off, that's awesome. I ordered in White/Pearl/Cream?? I hope that it doesn't come with those deep bowls. The Prevue one that he is using now, comes with 2 shallow about 20 oz and 2 super deep bowls that are a waste, cant use them - he'd fall in face first. I'm still holding my breath until it ships. I really really didn't want to pay 600.00. Keoki is doing great. He is starting to play more and attack and chew his toys. :D I started him on Harrison's, High Potency -Fine. He loves it. He has a bowl of just that, which he will much on first thing in the morning while I get his other food ready for the day. I still use a towel on the bottom of his cage, just in case he feels like he wants to climb to the top and can't get down. :omg:you should see how messy he is!! He completely covers the towel in food, wood that he has chewed up. :lol:Gary, is doing really well. I keep trying to change his "seed only diet" I may have a new home for him with the woman at the vets office. She and her husband have been talking about getting a parakeet, and I told her all about him so she is really interested. But will be off island on vacation until about the 15th of January, I told her it wasn't a problem. So we will see. His flight feathers are coming in and he is molting. I left him a bowl of fresh water to bathe in today. We will see, everything I do for him he acts like I am trying to either poison, drown, or kill him in some way. He's so dramatic. :pinklol3: