• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Houdini SB2 and Mickey BE2

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
So, we got Houdini into the vet today. There is something weird going on with his left eye. It appears to be a problem with the nictating membrane. They did the physical with me there and he looks good for the most part but is not 10 years old. The band he has on is a round open band and most likely means he was a wild caught import. We haven't been able to legally import birds since 1992 which puts his age at at least 26. The band is hard to read because it's worn. We can see some numbers and possibly a W on it. Mickey has the same band on him although I haven't tried to read it yet. We're hoping that we can see more info on his band.

Other than that, his feet are pretty worn. Dr. Martel kept calling them old man feet. I'd take a picture of them but they had him toweled and I wasn't thinking of it at the time. He had some crusty feathers in his ears that Dr. Martel removed and his nares are kind of a brown color as well as the back of his tail, most likely cigarette smoke stains as his previous owner smoked. They wanted ophthalmology to take a look at his eye because they have better tools but they were in the middle of a surgery and had a horse scheduled next. I just left him there and they are going to fit him in when they can and give me a call when he's ready to come home.

The seed diet he was on has done a number on the choana in the back of his thoat...the papillae are very blunted. He eats like a champ though and will devour anything I give him so I'm hoping a good diet can turn around any deficiencies he may have. They did pull blood and we will be doing some disease testing on him and a heavy metal test because of the stuff that was in his cage. I suggested x-rays but Dr. Martel said that we'd be better off going with the blood test because x-ray could be hit or miss.

We decided to vet Houdini first and hope to get Mickey in next week. I'm expecting the same basic issues with Mickey although Mickey isn't as hip to eating healthy food as Houdini is. I did get him to dig into some sweet potato mixed in with pellets last night and we are out of the seed mix they came with so I'm hoping I don't have to buy more! I have a Goldenfeast seed mix for the Linnies that I can try if he doesn't continue to eat the pellets...of course, eating the pellets might have to continue happening with the bribe of sweet potato but I'm good with that!:)

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Here are some pictures from the vet visit...Houdini was very popular! We had the senior special species vet (Dr. Sladky) come in to take a look, Dr. Martel, two fourth year vet students, and three vet techs!:)

IMG_2339.JPG IMG_2340.JPG IMG_2341.JPG

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Looks like a good team of people looking after him!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Oh - now I see the pictures!! I have an elenora who's 28, and her feet don't look very "old" to me yet. If Houdini's diet has been deficient, especially regarding Vit A, his skin could improve once he starts getting sufficient levels. I'd love to see more pictures...

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Your post made me google them to see the difference between the 2... I never really paid much attention to the really unique beak of the slender billed. Very different from the bare eyed, even though they look very similar otherwise. What are these guys like?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
What kind of cockatoo is Houdini?
He's a Slender Billed Cockatoo. He eats like a champ so I'm hoping we can get some of this to clear up. Here is a picture of him once we got him home. He's very nervous and probably hasn't been handled very much so we are trying not to stress him out.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Your post made me google them to see the difference between the 2... I never really paid much attention to the really unique beak of the slender billed. Very different from the bare eyed, even though they look very similar otherwise. What are these guys like?
I've talked to a few owners now and they are supposed to be goofy but a little shy and this guy fits that to a tee. He's actually fairly gentle too. There have been a few times where he could have bitten me or the vet tech very hard and he was gentle about it, just trying to get his point across. The one thing I was not at all acquainted with before he and Mickey the BE2 arrived was their honking noises which are very similar to one another and unlike any sound I've ever heard from a Cockatoo. It's quite unique and both of them are fairly quiet most of the time but will call out to each other and when you upset them, they can be super loud!:)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Good luck with them! I hope you'll share more about them as you get to know them. That beak does look like it could do some damage... good thing he didn't really want to!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahww I am so glad to hear they are doing relativly well! You are an angel!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
So happy to see any bit of progress with these two! They seem to be settling in well. Hopefully Mickey's visit will show slightly better results for his health. Keep us updated and be sure to post lots of pictures! You're an amazing person for taking in these two! :D

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks again for taking them in and getting them the care that is needed. Houdini is beautiful. Hope his issues will resolve. Hope things will go well with Mickey's upcoming exam.
So many people involved and interested in Houdini.
Which one is Dr. Martel and which one is Dr. Sladky? I'm assuming the older gentleman is Martel or Sladky.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I so enjoyed the photos here, and glad to hear that he is doing well despite his 'old man feet'. Hope that his eye will be improving soon. You're doing so well for these birds. :heart:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks again for taking them in and getting them the care that is needed. Houdini is beautiful. Hope his issues will resolve. Hope things will go well with Mickey's upcoming exam.
So many people involved and interested in Houdini.
Which one is Dr. Martel and which one is Dr. Sladky? I'm assuming the older gentleman is Martel or Sladky.
Dr. Kurt Sladky and Dr. Anna Martel. They are amazing! I love the UW Vet school!

So they just called a little while ago and the ophthalmologist found something in the back of the eye that seems to be pushing the nictating membrane forward. They snipped a little piece off and will be sending it in for a biopsy. Hopefully it's nothing more than a little bit of inflammation. I'm going to go pick him up in about thirty minutes.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I so enjoyed the photos here, and glad to hear that he is doing well despite his 'old man feet'. Hope that his eye will be improving soon. You're doing so well for these birds. :heart:
I have to admit that this is the biggest challenge that I've ever taken on. It's going to be a while before they start trusting me but we are going to do our best. Houdini definitely calms down for his favorite treats!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks for the update. I was looking at a long billed corella before I found Burt, all the ones I have ever met were delightful birds with gentle natures but clownish behaviors.