• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

<UPDATE>My heart is weary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
It's almost been a week, and there hasn't been an official confirmed sighting of my dear Amelia.
I've come to the determination that she isn't "hanging around the house". Between the storms, the lawn mowers, and whatever else hubbub has been happening in my neighborhood, I am convinced that she has been spooked from the general vicinity and is most likely lost and too disoriented to find her way home. I have scoured the woods, treelines, everywhere around my house, called and rattled food, left out her food dish, her bed, and her favorite toy near the back porch of our house (the place she is most familiar with) and there hasn't been any signs that she has returned home. Being that this is her first time out, it seems strange that so much time would elapse without her at least coming back to her home.

I'm so frightened for her, but I am resolved to find her! My action plan for today (and going forward for the next 8 weeks) is as follows:
1. Call or check at the Animal Control facility. As they are right next to each other, check in with the animal shelter as well.
2. Get home, and do a perimeter sweep of the yard just in case she has found her way back.
3. There are 3 people on my block that claim to feed strays. I have permission from them to access their yards and call and check for Amelia, and have given them a very detailed description of her in case they spot her. I'll go and search their yards.
4. Return home and wait for dark (about 9:00ish). Take my spotlight and head out and do laps around the yard, around my entire neighborhood area, and all the tree-lines, checking for eye reflections. I'll also be checking the yards again of the people who feed the strays. I'm hoping that she may have hooked up with some wild cats or something and is currently following them around.

On top of this, I'm keeping my CL ad as current as I can, I'm posting signs today up at the Petco and Petsmart for people to keep their eyes out for her, and I'm going to go out and expand my signs a little further to see if I can get any bites. I've been leaving that window open every night, my garage cracked every night, and I've enlisted the help of quite a few of my very nice neighbors who are keeping an eye out for her for me as well. If I see a single sign that she has returned to the home, I'll buy humane traps and set them about.

Is there ANYTHING that I am missing?

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Re: My heart is weary.

Good luck finding Amelia. I would be heartbroken right now if my babies got away, but it sounds like you have a good plan. Don't give up hope.

Justina

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Justina

It sounds like you are doing everything you can.

A good thing about cats is that they are amazingly resilient when they get outside.They have the ability to survive on their own. When I was younger we had a couple cats get lost for long periods of time. One was gone for almost a month. We thought he was lost forever, but he made his way back.

I'm sending thoughts to Amelia, telling her to come home.

ferdinand

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul

I'm sorry she hasn't returned - what area did she escape from? I'm on parkwood near mcandrews if that is anywhere near...

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Have you called area vets?

Are you able to have area kids keep a lookout for her, promising to pay them if you find her where the kid says she is? Maybe you can ask the finder to keep kitty until you get to her?

I wish you the best of luck! I would come help you look if I was not so darn far away!!

:hug8:

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie

I'm sorry she hasn't returned - what area did she escape from? I'm on parkwood near mcandrews if that is anywhere near...
It is a little, but I'd be very sad if she'd wandered that far! :eek:
I'm over on Portland, but I'm closer to CR 42. Not to say it isn't possible, though.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne

:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi

I have no advice/suggestions here but want to wish you good luck!!
Hope you find amelia soon:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

Sounds like you have a very good plan in action. Over 30 years of owning cats I've suffered through my share of lost ones. All came home except one who made it obvious he wanted to be the neighborhood cat and live outdoors and that is exactly what he did. Various neighbors would give him inside shelter during the winter but once it warmed up he insisted on being outdoors. We all looked out for him. Another one of my cats pushed open a window screen and was gone for 3 1/2 weeks. When she returned she was very skinny and her front paws were scraped raw. She ate continuously for a day. The vet said in all probability she had gotten herself shut in someone's garage and then they left for that amoint of time. She had attempted to claw her way out and as soon as they returned and opened the garage door she ran right home to us. I've had other cats sneak out and return anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Try not to think the worst yet. Cats are very resilient. Keep looking and doing all you that you are. If you haven't done so already you may want to enlist the help of neighborhood kids. They think nothing of spending a day using treats to entice a kitty out from under a porch, etc. If you offer a small reward they may be a good source of extra lookouts. :hug5:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Natalie, just a suggestion. Anna from Macaw Cockatoo rescue ost her dog at Christmas time. Her husband was on the roof taking lights down and looked out into the woods and saw him. Sadly he had passed due to being caught in a pipe. I suggest having someone get up high(CAREFULLY!) and search the area. Might help. I wish you much luck.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

I really, really wouldn't wait to put out the humane traps. If you don't wat to buy any until you're sure she's still in your neighborhood, then contact your local shelters and feline rescues. Many will let you borrow traps for a deposit.

Anyone who works in feline rescue would tell you that putting out humane traps immediately is your best bet with a frightened escapee.

Posters and signs, neighbors keeping a lookout and night time searches are simply not effective for recovering a badly frightened cat - as I've said previously, such cats revert to being little wild animals who do everything possible to avoid humann contact. You could walk within a foot of her, and she wouldn't let you know she's there, and would flee from you if you discovered her.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

I agree with getting some traps out as soon as you can

also, plaster your neighborhood with posters with a good pic of her if you have one

recruit the neighborhood kids to help you watch for her

I remember that someone had seen her but you were headed out for an emergent type reason and couldn't go look

a trap in this area and posters would be good too

flyers in your local grocery store, gas station - any where that folks shop

the post office, library, schools - they are starting soon and many kids are there for various practices

stay positive

:hug8:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)

aw, I am praying that you find her soon! Please stay positive! Good list of ideas!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I'm sorry you haven't found her yet.I'll Keep praying she finds her way back real soon.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing

Have you visited the local AC and/or Humane Societys?

Skyler

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat

I haven't any useful suggestions---I'm just praying she makes her way home soon.:hug8:

senorabarb

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb

Someone already mentioned this -- make a flyer with her pic and post it in vets' offices. I hope she comes back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.