• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Update-Dexter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellimaye

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ellie
Thanks for the update on Dexter. Poor fella! So glad he has you to watch over him. I can't imagine what it would be like for a bird not to be able to open his wings. Praying for him!! :hug8::angel1::hug8:
You said the test would take a while. Like days or weeks??

Did he say whether or not organic veggies were still safe? I thought organic was pesticide-free?

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Yay, I'm so glad Dr. Gold took care of you! I really like him.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dexer is eating well and drinking fine. He is nice and warm and sleeping peaceably.
Organic fruits and veggies are fine if washed very well. Grapes should be fed only if they were still attached to the stems(remove stem to feed) Mold tends to grow at the opening of grapes once pulled or fallen from the stem.
Some fruits can absorb pestisides easier right into the flesh of the fruit. Strawberries, grapes, raspberries, blakberries and blueberries. Rincing well and organic is fine but still wash well.
Dr. Gold said all peanuts in shell are a no-no! Organic peanuts have no protection from mold and parasites. Human grade while are protected from parasites can still grow mold on the shell.
I am definitely going to be more careful from now on. We will see what the tests show and the asper titer. Bloodwork will be back tomorrow and asper titer will take a few days.
Thank you again for all the prayers and well wishes. You guys are great.
Yes Heather, I know Dr. Keith Gold personally. He is an excellent vet. He is very kind too!

Ranyart

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
Oh no Judy - I just saw this. Never a dull moment huh? I sure hope Mr. Dexter is okay - he seemed like a real nice guy. Healing waves from here for him (and Mike - how's he doing BTW?) Oh, and Sammy? (so many questions - sorry). Back to the thread - Get well soon Dexter !!

Lovebird

Real Name
Kathy
Poor little Dexter... I sure hope everything goes well for him.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
poor Dexter!! many positive thoughts and prayers on the way:hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am sorry it turned out to be pneumonia. Prayers that he gets better soon.

southernbirds

Because you are so observant, I'm sure that was a very positive move in Dexter's favor. Sounds like your Vet is also meticulous in his diagnosis and treatment. Let us know how things are going.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Oh poor little Dexter...Sending prayers your way sweetie...

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good morning! Dexter is doing well, I think. He does not seem to be in as much respiratory stress this morning. Maybe that is just hopefull thinking on my part, but I am very observant when it comes to my pets. Dex is eating, pooping normal, verbalizing and very active. Took his meds fine. I hope to hear soon about blood results.
I had some very upset birds this morning when no grapes were fed! LOL!
Pennie, it has been a long couple of days. With Mike in the hospital, me stressed over that and now Dex! Mike is fine. His GI is going to do an endoscopy to check for reflux and ulcers. I have to schedule today. Thanks for asking.
I realize that I will never have enough money! His insurance sucks! Avian vets are expensive and my meds prices are out the window!!! Ugh, stress!!!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Judy I think that is very good that Dex is eating on his own. It will take a few weeks for the pneunomia to clear up. I know Carlos loves grapes too but I dont feed them that often and only buy organic for grapes. As far as Mikes endoscope it is a very quick procedure. If he has any ulcers they will put him on Nexium or Protonix and they will heal. I have acid reflux and when I had it diagnosed my doctor had me on Nexium 2X per day for about six months, did a repeat scope and brought it down to once a day. It does heal the erosions and once you stay on it keeps the acid reflux in check.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you Pat. Yes, Mike has had an endoscopy before. He is on Nexium now 2 x day.
Still waiting for the vet to call.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dr. Gold called with blood results. His WBC is slightly elevated. Uric acid is slightly elevated, he said to push juicy fruits to keep him dehydrated. Liver enzymes were normal, calcium normal. Everything is normal! It will be a couple days for the asper titer.
Dexter is doing well.

Oh, I forgot to ask the vet. Should Dex be on a probiotic since he is on an antibiotic? If so, recommendatios? Thanks.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Dr. Gold called with blood results. His WBC is slightly elevated. Uric acid is slightly elevated, he said to push juicy fruits to keep him dehydrated. Liver enzymes were normal, calcium normal. Everything is normal! It will be a couple days for the asper titer.
Dexter is doing well.

Oh, I forgot to ask the vet. Should Dex be on a probiotic since he is on an antibiotic? If so, recommendatios? Thanks.
Great to see Dexter is doing good.

I hope you meant "hydrated"! If uric acid is elevated I would have thought the vet would of had recommend cranberry juice, just my opinion.

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
If Dexter were mine I would have him on a probiotic while on antibiotics. I know some vets disagree with this but most agree by saying it will not hurt and may help. From what I have observed under the microscope is an antibiotic will kill most all the bacteria including the probiotic. However I have seen the lactobacillus from probiotic be the first thing to show up in a wet mount when the antibiotic is suspended. I feel the lactobacillus being there first to establish itself and may help crowd out any bad (pathogenic) bacteria if it returns.

Again my opinion: As far as hydration I would be offering the "light" or sugarless version of fruit juices as sugar breeds yeast. The last thing you want when your bird may be immune compromised due antibiotics is to get a yeast infection.

gary

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you Gary! Yes, I meant hydrated-geez Judy! What should I give as a probiotic and how do I administer?

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
What should I give as a probiotic and how do I administer?
Dr. Strother recently prescribed Acidophilus in capsule form for Joey after she had been on the antibiotic Baytril. It is a probiotic. I had to sprinkle 1/2 a capsule over her fresh food every other day at first (for about 2 weeks) and then go to 2 x's a week for maintenance. It needs to be kept refrigerated.
If I were you, I would call your vet to see what they prescribe to you as a probiotic. :)

ellimaye

Real Name
Ellie
Judy, is there any update on Dexter today? How's he doing? :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.