• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Update-Dexter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dexter has pneumonia! He had a chest xray and it showed pneumonia in his lungs. His heart is enlarged and his liver is enlarged. Dr. Gold, avian vet, put him on Baytril liquid-oral. He drew a complete blood panel and an asper titier. He will call me with results tomorrow. Titer will take a couple days. We went over Dex's diet, he said it was excellent. However I am only aloud to give him 1 grape a day. He said the only way to guarantee pesticide free is to grow your own. Grapes are Dex's favorite! I was giving orgaic peanuts in the shell as treats. No more. Dr. Gold said organic can carry more then regular human grade because they have no protection. So no more inshell peanuts here!
Dr Gold try to open Dex's wings. He said they are frozen to his his sides. I told him that he never stretches or opens them. He said he has scar tissue at his elbows that have frozen the wings. He does not have chest muscle mass because he doesnt flap. He does climb but nothing strenous.
He is a little light wt-418gr. We have to keep him warm and make sure he gets lots of sleep. I will update with blood results hopefully tomorrow. Thankyou all for your well wishes and prayers.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh no poor Dexter...I know he is in good hands with you. Hope the blood comes back ok. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Oh my goodness!! That poor baby. Not being able to flap his wings is heartwrenching, plus he can't exercise his lungs to get stuff out. Oh I hope the meds get him better soon. Is this the first time he's been to the vet?

Ginger

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
So sorry for you and Dexter. Prayers coming your way.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby, sending many healing prayers for him.

:hug8: Hugs to you too Judy. I don't post often but I do read the board; you've been under a lot of stress lately, so be sure to take care of yourself too.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Judy I am so sorry. Sounds like you have a good vet. That is what Tequila had too, and he got better. Keep Dex very warm 80-85 degrees. Do you have a ceramic heat lamp? I fed Tequila emeraid that the vet gave me. Basically it is a high energy formula because he wasnt eating on his own. Tequila also was on Baytril. They did a repeat xray after a month and it was not totally cleared up so he had another round of baytril. He is back to normal now, weight is back to where it was before he got sick. I moved Tequila to my bedroom so he had more quiet and I could put him to bed earlier than my other birds. Keep us posted. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
oh Judy, I am sooo sorry - sounds like he is in good hands between the vet and you

keeping you both in my prayers and sending much healing energy

:hug8:

Holli

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holli
Can someone explain - are the wings frozen from lack of use...or did someone do this to the poor fella?

I sure hope he has a speedy recovery.

Dexter - everyone at AA is pulling for ya!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Dexter, get well soon and start exercising your wings.......
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

gary

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Judy, how scary. So glad you have a diagnosis and poor Dexter is under going treatment. He is in such good hands with you as his mom. Sending more positive thoughts and healing prayers to you both. May Dexter please have a speedy recovery.:hug8:

southernbirds

I echo everyone's sentiments. How awful for the poor Dexter. He and you are real troopers.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you everyone! Dexter took his oral baytril great! Thank goodness. He has a heatlamp on and 3 sides of his cage covered. He is in a quiet room. Hopefully the blood results will be normal. I am really afraid of aspergullious.
We knew he would never open his wings. Not even to stretch. He had a well bird check up when we first rehomed him 4 yrs ago. He has been as healthy as an ox. Yeah, I know I should have done yearly exams. Personal heath issues kept me from following through. He obviously was injured and we were never told about it. The vet feels one wing was injured and he just kept the other tight to his body for counterbalance. Therefor they both froze. One is scar tissue and one the skin actually grew together at the bend. He will never be able to open his wings. He is an excellent climber though.
I just hope I got him to the vet in time. He was not breathing heavy last night whilewe ate dinner. I just noticed this in the AM.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hug8:Oh boy!! Positive and healthy vibes for you and Dexter.:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Postive healing vibes and prayers coming Dexters way :hug8::hug8: it sure is scary how fast they can go down hill

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Hope he gets well soon:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Sending lots of positive energy your way... :hug8:

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Prayers and good wishes for Dexter.

Judy

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Saying prayers for your sweet Dexter. I hope the test results bring good news.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Judy sounds like you are giving him wonderful supportive care. Is he eating? If not I would feed him handfeeding formula. We are all praying for him. Get some rest yourself, I know how stressful it is to have a sick bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.