• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update; Adélies made progress!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
2 weeks after his siblings took their first flight, Adélie has took the leap of faith just now ❤

He has climbed all up the back of my neck on to my head, I said to my boyfriend, Adélie has found a new spot, and took a picture...
IMG_20190216_001415.jpg
And then he jumped and flew to the shelf in front... He didn't quite make it, and had to turn back mid flight, but he got back safe and had a good wing stretch.

He´s now back in the nook of my neck, beak grinding :)

Lucky the door was closed as I'd just been out to buy a cocacola.

Adélie is 8 weeks old today.

Sydney, Jaime, Lapis, Nube, Petín and Saatchi all flew at 6 weeks old.

He may have grown slow but he got there in the end ❤

IMG_20190216_001648.jpg

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He's a really pretty colour and he definitely looks lovable and sweet as a young lovie. :heart2: :heart2:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
:faint::faint::faint:
I have seen many cute Lovebirds, but this is one of the cutest ever! I love that gray color.
And I know you are saying he, but for me Adélie is a she. It must be! Something that cute and fragile must be a she. ♥

Happy 8 weeks old darling! ♥ You are a fighter! :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
:faint::faint::faint:
I have seen many cute Lovebirds, but this is one of the cutest ever! I love that gray color.
And I know you are saying he, but for me Adélie is a she. It must be! Something that cute and fragile must be a she. ♥

Happy 8 weeks old darling! ♥ You are a fighter! :)
And your mum is a fighter too! She didn't give up.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And your mum is a fighter too! She didn't give up.
Yes I have already told her so. ♥
You did the right thing. For me all this proves what a great parront you are. You buy food and start feeding them and you where asking here for advices. You didn't wait until it was to late.
That all is still alive is because of you so enjoy that feeling. :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Awesome! You must be so proud!!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks guys :) ❤

I feel much better that he can fly.

Interesting. Maybe... maybe... We´ll see :)

I always refer to the birds as he, until I know they are female. I actually think Sydney is a female, but as I don´t know 100%, so I just call her he :(

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
2 weeks after his siblings took their first flight, Adélie has took the leap of faith just now ❤

He has climbed all up the back of my neck on to my head, I said to my boyfriend, Adélie has found a new spot, and took a picture...
View attachment 296708
And then he jumped and flew to the shelf in front... He didn't quite make it, and had to turn back mid flight, but he got back safe and had a good wing stretch.

He´s now back in the nook of my neck, beak grinding :)

Lucky the door was closed as I'd just been out to buy a cocacola.

Adélie is 8 weeks old today.

Sydney, Jaime, Lapis, Nube, Petín and Saatchi all flew at 6 weeks old. Some of my adult birds do that early in the day.

He may have grown slow but he got there in the end ❤

View attachment 296709
I'd meant to tell you Adelie is doing what I call "wingercizing" (after the 80's jazzercizing). He's practicing flapping and strengthening his cute little wings.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had noticed the last day or two he had been on my shoulder flapping away (beating my ears while at it) and flapping hard when I´ve picked him up out of his little cage that he´s lifted a cm in the air.
He hasn´t flown since. Just that once. He´s had breakfast. Snacked on a sprouted lentil, and now he´s fast asleep on my shoulder :)

I will have to start putting Adelie away now while I have the rest of the flock out, until he is flying well.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
What happens when Adelie is left out while his flock is out too? Just wondering if it wouldn't better for him to be out on a very low piece of furniture with a towel or bedspread on the floor in case he tries flying but jumps down?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What happens when Adelie is left out while his flock is out too? Just wondering if it wouldn't better for him to be out on a very low piece of furniture with a towel or bedspread on the floor in case he tries flying but jumps down?
So far he has been out with the flock, tucked in my PJ cardigan, so he can look out and the others see him, but he has a little protection from the fabric.
It´s not the risk of him falling because he can break a fall with his wings, it´s more, I need him to be able to fly well and not at beginner level.
It wouldn´t be so bad if I didn´t have to babysit Aldora so much. And I can´t let the rest of the blue team out without her. I can´t risk letting everyone out, and while I´m watching Aldora, someone attacks Adelie. Maybe in a couple of days he´ll be more in the swing of it and he can join the blue team :)

Lapis and Nube know that Aldora is their mum... When I open the doors in the morning, they go straight to their mums door and wait for her. Aldora will attack them, but they know it´s their mum and always follow her and the next day will do the same all over again. They fly with Jaime when Aldora doesn´t want to come out. But when the 4 are out, they are together 90% of the time.

Adelie doesn´t recognise Aldora or Jaime as his parents. He attacks them. Other than Sydney, he is the only one with the cojones to face Aldora. Even the dog runs away from her.

I wonder if the blue team will truly accept him... maybe not..

I would love if Adelie and Sydney bonded. I don´t think they will though.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
aww he is so sweet and precious ! It is fun to watch him exercise his wings ! Soon he will be flying all over :D

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Soon he will be flying all over
This thread was 3 weeks ago today, and he´s still not flown properly. He hovers and flutters.

I´ve just gone and weighed him, he´s 50g so maybe that´s why he´s not flying well yet. He will get there in the end :)