• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Update #26) Scully is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teasha

Rollerblading along the road
Hi. I had a cat who was only 3 years old. Suddenly he acted very sick and made horrible sounds when breathing. I rushed him to ER. Only to be told he had an enlarged heart and fluid in his lungs. He was put on meds and shortly after I took him to my regular vet. I did everything I could to save Cubby. But he was also going through kidney failure. I had him since he was about 4 weeks old. The vet said to call and make an appt when I was 'ready.' Well I waited a bit to long and shortly before we left for the vets he started meowing and acting like he was in pain. The vet put him down and he is out of pain. My point is, there is no right or wrong time to put your cat down. But it is what you can live with and what is best for kitty. I still wish I would have took him in sooner, but it is in the past now and a lesson learned. My opinion is if she is in kidney failure, take her in to euthanized so she doesn't have to suffer like Cubby did. It is a painful loss, but at her age and with what she is going through it is inevitable. I am sorry you have to go through with this. :hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks. I was giving myself the day to get mentally prepared but I don't think she is in pain or I would have taken her in. She is happy just to sit on my lap (she always tries to get up on me) or lie beside me, purring away. I know purring doesn't always mean happy but she seems to start when I'm softly stroking her or just have my hand touching her. She is awkward walking or jumping and I think this is frustrating for her but isn't meowing or seeming to be in pain. If she worsens I will definitely have her put out of her misery.

Teasha

Thanks. I was giving myself the day to get mentally prepared but I don't think she is in pain or I would have taken her in. She is happy just to sit on my lap (she always tries to get up on me) or lie beside me, purring away. I know purring doesn't always mean happy but she seems to start when I'm softly stroking her or just have my hand touching her. She is awkward walking or jumping and I think this is frustrating for her but isn't meowing or seeming to be in pain. If she worsens I will definitely have her put out of her misery.
:hug8: I know how you feel. You definatley need lots of hugs. :hug8:

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I am so sorry you are going through this. Prayers for good health for Scully. While done out of pure love, it's such a tough decision to make - one I hope are not faced with. :hug8:

Teasha

I forgot to help a cat with calories you can get Nutrical. Call your vet they should have it it is over the counter and works wonders! Also consider adding pedialyte to the gravy and mixing it or giving it to her instead of water. Those two things are very helpful with sick kitties. I would go for it with the gravy, might make her drink more if it's with the gravy. :)

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I came home yesterday and she met me at the door. She is walking much better (still a little wobbly) and even running a bit. She is drinking well and eating a little. I also heard her in the cat box for the first time since it started but she is so shy about it, jumps out if I try to spy. I make gravy with her Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach as it is the only cat food she doesn't vomit. I gave her salmon juice on the food yesterday. The vet called me yesterday to say he had given her Vitamin B12 not Thiamine (B1). So I have been researching where to get some B1. I can either buy some human vitamins & break them down or try the feed store where I used to get B vitamins or order online (will take longer). I found out that Petromalt (for hairballs) has Thiamine Hcl in it, not sure if this is the same as Thiamine but I gave her some anyway. She loves it but I usually don't give it as she throws it up.
Anyway, she seems to be improving so I am much more optimistic. Time will tell but she has gotten better not worse so that is good. She is also more independent now, not sticking to me like glue. Still sleeping on the bed & using the step I made her out of a suitcase & towel. But she is not stumbling & falling like she was before.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks again for all the support!! :heart::hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'm glad that she's showing improvement! :hug8::hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
This is such good news, Jen! I hope she continues to improve. :hug8:

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Update: Scully is back to her old self and has been for a week or more. She races around, plays with the other cat, Bailey, and is back to being a pain getting in kitchen cupboards, etc. :rolleyes: She had lost a lot of weight but has put 0.5 lb on in a few days eating tuna and moistened dry food. She is also back to eating some dry.
I am thinking it may have been a poisoning. She had eaten some of the lily plant maybe a week before she got sick. I didn't know it was poisonous then.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad to hear she's all better! :hug8:

topazldy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Linda
She is so beautiful! I have always had siamese cats, my entire life. My mother said siamese are prone to vomiting more than any other cat. This has held true for all the ones I have had. They are a breed that reminds me of the senegals or caiques. Bold, comical and ruler of the house! They can be very sassy and insist things be their way or no way lol. My mother's siamese, Suki, lived to be 22 years old. I can't imagine my life without a siamese! Prayers and well wishes headed your way for Scully, and may she rest comfortably as she heals:o:

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My mother said siamese are prone to vomiting more than any other cat. This has held true for all the ones I have had. They are a breed that reminds me of the senegals or caiques. Bold, comical and ruler of the house! They can be very sassy and insist things be their way or no way lol. My mother's siamese, Suki, lived to be 22 years old. I can't imagine my life without a siamese! Prayers and well wishes headed your way for Scully, and may she rest comfortably as she heals:o:
That is interesting! I had not heard that about Siamese. She will eat anything though - any plant, any hair, feathers off the rug, so no wonder she throws up. She is only 1/2 or so, what they call a "Snowshoe" I guess but basically 1/2 Siamese, 1/2 something else not so slim. I like her rounded head.
She is vocal but not as vocal as full Siamese and not as demanding. She will talk to ask for something or respond if you talk to her, but is not annoying.
Thanks for your message & well wishes! :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is good news!!:)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I missed seeing this thread earlier and only read it just now to find Scully is feeling better. I'm very happy for you. I love her picture. She is beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.