• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unzipped feathers

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
My bird looks a bit raggedy and I'm going to make a vet appt but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here as well.
20170320_075921.jpg

He's been looking this way for months now and I was worried at first that he may be over preening.

Then I thought maybe it was all due to him having such a long (about 6 months now) heavy molt and figured those feathers were just ready to go to make room for new ones. But it doesn't seem to be looking any better.

He's still molting (just dropped two more clipped primaries last week) so I'm hoping it's just all part of the molt process but I'm curious what you guys think?

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I worry that since he's been having such a long heavy molt that he just feels itchy and irritated all the time and it's causing him to overpreen. Does that seem like a logical explanation?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Does that seem like a logical explanation?
No not really.
I worry that since he's been having such a long heavy molt that he just feels itchy and irritated all the time and it's causing him to overpreen.
"You" feel he's itchy and irritated. He didn't say that. Preening and grooming is what they spend "most" of their waking hours doing. His feathers are not perfect but they are "not" abused.

Take him to the vet and have your mind eased. Vet is going to tell you the same thing.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
No not really.

"You" feel he's itchy and irritated. He didn't say that. Preening and grooming is what they spend "most" of their waking hours doing. His feathers are not perfect but they are "not" abused.

Take him to the vet and have your mind eased. Vet is going to tell you the same thing.
Thank you, John. I hesitated to ask this because I kind of figured you would say that. :) I am not extremely worried but I would like to ease my mind for sure. Thanks so much!!!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's good to know Blu's not the only one. I mist or bath him multiple times a week (anywhere between 3 to 5 days a week) and he seems to enjoy that. Thanks Birdbabe!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo looks exactly like that fairly often ;) he eventually gets around to it, or they molt out since they've lost their "zip". His are usually from crawling around in a happy hut vs from preening.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Jingo looks exactly like that fairly often ;) he eventually gets around to it, or they molt out since they've lost their "zip". His are usually from crawling around in a happy hut vs from preening.
That makes me feel alot better that other birds can look like this, thank you! I wondered at one point if it partially had something to do with Blu rubbing up against his hanging toys. Sometimes he takes a nap with his toys touching his back.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That makes me feel alot better that other birds can look like this, thank you! I wondered at one point if it partially had something to do with Blu rubbing up against his hanging toys. Sometimes he takes a nap with his toys touching his back.

Oh yes that absolutely can do it!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've found a soaking shower usually zips them up.

Rubbing and toweling and such can easily make them look raggedy. My Green Wing girl was looking all beautiful and fresh from her shower on Thursday when we arrived at the vet last Friday. After being toweled and examined she look like I dragged her behind the van to get to the vet! :)

Last edited:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my tiel girls constantly has a bend in her crest feathers because she likes to sleep with a toy on her head. :rolleyes: Blu's feathers also look normal to me, just typical wear on an active bird.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I've found a soaking shower usually zips them up.

Rubbing and toweling and such can easily make them look raggedy. My Green Wing girl was looking all beautiful and fresh from her shower on Thursday when we arrived at the vet last Friday. After being toweled and examined she look like I dragged her behind the van to get to the vet! :)
Sorry, I meant to reply to this sooner. It seems his zipper is broken cause even after soaking showers and baths they never go back. But I feel soooo much better now knowing that the explanation is from his rubbing his back on toys when he naps. I laughed out loud about your GW looking like it had been dragged behind the van. :)

One of my tiel girls constantly has a bend in her crest feathers because she likes to sleep with a toy on her head. :rolleyes: Blu's feathers also look normal to me, just typical wear on an active bird.
Thank you so much!:)

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I don't think his feather quality looks that bad. If you're concerned he's over preening, try introducing him to foraging. Start slow and work your way up. Foraging is what they would be spending the most time doing in the wild with only a very small portion of their awake time being grooming and "socializing". Or you could try some training, I've seen some people do amazing things with quakers!