• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Untamed Lovebird from a pet shop?

Anna205

Strolling the yard
I'm very new on this (first post :D) so excuse any mistakes..

There's a little lovebird in my local pet shop. Not sure how old he is (though I will ask today) and I don't know the sex (I will ask today, though I have my doubts they will know. Also, I say he as its easier). He is all by himself in a small cage, no toys, just one plastic dowel perch. As you can imagine, I feel so bad for this little bird. I am seriously debating getting him..The only thing is, I am supposed to be getting a hand reared cockatiel. It will be around August I'll be getting the tiel. I know their personalities will be so different, the lovebirds are generally louder, more aggressive, and if this lovebird is an adult, it could take months to tame him, and it mightn't even work. But I feel so bad for him..I have everything I need for a bird (large cage, toys, aid kit) and yes, they are all appropriate for a lovebird too, I just need food. By now, I'm babbling on, so I just really need someone to help me out. Should I get this lovebird, or wait for the cockatiel? Also, I should mention this lovebird has been in the shop quite a while.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This pet store staff may just be displaying the lovebird to you in such a way to tug at your heartstrings so you will make a purchase. Any bird lover who walks in a pet store that Often they will replace this bird with another very quickly. I suggest you go with your original plan.

Anna205

Strolling the yard
That is true...they haven't had any birds for the longest time until around November last year, and only one bird has actually been sold (it was this lovebirds partner). It just saddens me so much to see the little bird.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I don't buy animals from pet stores even if they are in bad conditions and need help because the way I see it even if you help that animal the money the store gains from the purchase allows the wheels of cruelty to continue and more birds will take their place. I don't judge people who want to do it because you are helping an animal worthy of a good life and loving home but I stop myself from doing it by thinking of the animals who will take their place from the profit gained from buying him

Anna205

Strolling the yard
I think I'll just wait for the cockatiel. Another bird will likely replace this one, and I can't keep buying them all. If the lovebird is still there after I get the cockatiel, I might get him. Just not for now. Thanks for the help :)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lovebirds have it tough in pet stores because they rarely get handled enough to be like other birds that will jump on anyone who walks up to them. They have wild little hearts and need lots of interaction/socialization to keep them friendly to humans. Plus all the lovies I've met seem to want to evaluate people very much on an individual basis, no matter how "tame". So those factors ensure that they languish at pet stores, or are returned to pet stores because they're not insta-tame.

It all depends on what sort of personality spectrum you prefer in your birdy companion(s). And yes, he will be replaced after you buy him, but it's the same deal with the baby cockatiel you're waiting for.

Anna205

Strolling the yard
I'm getting the cockatiel from a good breeder, actually (not the pet shop) :) Sorry, should have said that. And yes, that's true. I was talking to the people in the pet shop today, they described lovebirds as very aggressive and they will bite you all the time. They of course do have them tendencies, but the people seemed more focused in the negatives than the positives. They were wondering how they are called 'love' birds, as they said they're so aggressive.. It's sad to see them being so biased on this little bird.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Anna205 It's usually the same deal with breeders. There tends to be an unfortunate primary interest in the bottom line, and regardless of whether or not money is indeed a motivator, it just adds to the problem of unloved and unwanted birds needing homes.

And lovebirds are indeed spunky, but they do not deserve the bad reputation people insist on perpetuating about them. (There are far more aggressive species being touted as friendly companions, ironically.) The people at the pet store should know better - and they have no business having lovebirds there if they have that attitude. It gets tiresome to hear it, especially as I have 6 lovebirds and am fostering 2, and the only one who will really bite is Snerky, and that's certainly not all the time. (I've had and met birds that were far more aggressive than Snerky ever has been.) 7 of the 8 are quite loving, and my boys love to cuddle. Even Snerky leans into my hand and wants her cheeks rubbed. I've also interacted with many lovebirds up for adoption or being sold in pet stores, and nobody was biting me (though they'd have been well within their rights to do so with me being a strange person).

Are there really aggressive birds? Yes. Do some people have a bad experience with a bird? Yes. But these are typically the more aggressive of the hens, and that's nowhere near all lovebirds, or even half. I'd say a small percentage of people have these experiences with very aggressive birds, but they complain to everyone about their experience (usually of one bird) and it ends up being blown out of proportion and spread around. Don't believe everything you hear, especially from people with narrow or little personal experience. I'm glad you're not buying into what they're saying wholesale.

If you took that lovie on, who knows how it would go. Maybe he would be aggressive, but you can't know. Would you blame the bird, though? It's obvious that no one cares about that poor creature. They're doing the bare minimum of housing him but otherwise neglecting him. It's sad.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I don't have much experience with lovebirds (because the only lovebird I've ever gotten to know is Kamara) but I certainly wouldn't describe her as aggresive, she's never tried to nip me or gotten defensive even with her being totally unsocialized as she came to me. Obviously all birds are individuals so other birds may be wildly different. I can't say I've never met any other lovebirds

Anna205

Strolling the yard
Don't worry, the breeder is very good :) I would only get the bird from a good place. This breeder seems to be the only one i can find that actually knows lots avout cockatiels, which is actually unfortunate. I've actually checked all rescues in my area, even rescues an hour away, and none have rescue cockatiels..I live in Ireland, and the part I live in isn't exactly a place where they are knowledgeable about birds..I've never seen any on a pellet/fruit/veggie diet, as they don't sell pellets where I live, so pretty much all birds are on just an all seed diet. I'll have to get my birds food online, sadly, but I don't mind too much.

That aggravates me to no end! It makes me so sad to see the cute little birds being stereotyped. After the cockatiel (maybe before if I can get another cage), if the lovebird is still there, I will likely get him. The only thing is he might be replaced, though they usually put two birds in at a time, so at least they won't be alone...I've never believed the whole 'this animal is aggressive' thing, so I won't believe it with birds. I feel so bad for the poor thing. If I get him, I certainly won't blame him if he's aggressive or if it takes him months to only be semi tame.It's extremely sad, definitely.