• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unsure whether to clip older (rescue) parrot

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Another thing to consider: when we got her, we noticed she had two broken toes on her left foot where the last joints have fused. This means her grip is not as good - she refuses to go on people's shoulders, for instance, because she's not that stable. She does fine on narrower perches. One concern I have is that it might be harder to teach her to land safely on a hand/finger because she can't grip effectively with her left foot...

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird had bad, deformed, and missing flight feather in his left wing. He also was very skinny his whole life. He knew he couldn't fly well so made short hops, emergency escape flights etc. He would sometimes grow in enough good feathers to make a decent controlled flight, and when he did he'd be so proud of himself. He happily walked or accepted rides where he wanted to go and had really big thighs. Most of the time when he did fly it was FLAP... FLAP... FLAP... THUD! However he was quite happy with his lot in life and never wanted or tried to escape. They can be happy if their life is good and they are loved and have fun things to do but flight is still best if they are capable. Some days he'd just flap as hard as he could on top of his house and I'd say FLAP MY PRETTY and hed go as fast as he could till he was panting. I sure miss the 31 years we had growing up together.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Whenever Simon goes on holiday he gets carried everywhere and comes home lazy. If he refuses to fly on the first day back I warn him that the next day I will give him a forced flight. This involves having him on my arm and dropping my arm out from under him so he ends up flying. I rarely have to do this though because he will usually have a fly pretty soon after the warning.
This is not mean and will get a bird to have at least a little flight. This is the only method I have ever used to get Simon to fly, he came to me clipped and unable to fly. Also I always say what I am about to do before I do it.
If he really doesn't want to fly he will grip my top with his talons.