• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unplayful Baby Caique?

BirdDad

Meeting neighbors
My sister has an 11 month old caique. He has never been playful, not since we got him four months ago and definitely not now. He doesn't seem very happy. He's pretty grumpy a majority of the time. He does have toys and I've been trying to get him to forage however he just doesn't care for it. I have no idea what to do for him. I want to train him but I have no idea how to. He's too stubborn. He won't bother to step up or anything, even if tempted with a treat. He doesn't do much besides hang around and eat. I just don't know what to do for him.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Caiques are very social. If you use an animated voice, sing, whistle, play music and dance, he will respond. I just make a happy big deal about things. When he poops he gets a standing ovation and praise.
I used to engage Joey in rolling a ball on the table and he would follow it then throw it off the table. He likes to watch Sesame Street.
Try to discover what makes your Caique happy.
You have find your own inner caique.

BirdDad

Meeting neighbors
Caiques are very social. If you use an animated voice, sing, whistle, play music and dance, he will respond. I just make a happy big deal about things. When he poops he gets a standing ovation and praise.
I used to engage Joey in rolling a ball on the table and he would follow it then throw it off the table. He likes to watch Sesame Street.
Try to discover what makes your Caique happy.
You have find your own inner caique.
That doesn't seem to really work for him. :/ I'm with him right now and I've tried to get him interested in toys or like you said, use an animated voice and play music for him. Nothing. :(

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
In your last post, you were talking about him being aggressive and loud and mentioned that your sister wants to rehome him. Putting these two together, you should really try some training with him. Training will allow the two of you to develop a bond and help release some of his energy that is otherwise going towards negative behaviors.

Caiques are very food motivated and energetic, so they're pretty easy to train. My girl steps up, waves hi, hops, swings upside down and flies to me on cue.

Read through the stickies in the training court: http://forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?forums/the-training-court.24/
There's a lot of valuable advice that can help you.

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Clicker training: An Introduction to Clicker Training | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

What's his favorite treat? It's always best to have a high value treat that birds only get when they're training. I use small pieces of walnut.

First thing, invest in a clicker. Then you need to "load the clicker," or sensitive your bird to it. Click and feed a treat. Make sure that your bird is calm when you're clicking and not biting or screaming so you don't inadvertently reward bad behaviors. Click and treat. Repeat until your bird anticipates it. Great. Your bird now knows that the clicker means a reward is coming.

The first thing you need to work on then, is step up. Note: these directions are for a bird that is not fearful. Start by placing your finger just above his feet and an inch away. In your other hand, hold the tasty morsel just out of reach, so that he has to step onto your finger. When he steps onto your finger, click your clicker and give him the treat. I usually curl the clicker into my palm and hold it with my ring and little finger while holding the treat in my thumb and index finger. The click is now the reward marker; it lets your bird know that you are praising that behavior. Repeat until your bird begins to recognize what you want- which only takes a few times as parrots are very smart. Then you can start using the verbal cue "step up". You don't want to say the words until he learns the behavior or you're at risk of redundancy. You can gradually start phasing out the treats, but remember that step up must always be exciting for the bird- use a silly voice, commence playing with him, or take him somewhere interesting in the house. Otherwise, your bird will only want to step up on his terms.

Debbie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Debbie
Gosh I hate to say it...but I wonder if something medical could be going on? Caique's are known as the clowns of the parrot world...Mine loved leather strips with knots that he could untie..and beads that he could make crash to the ground all the better...bells...ect...This is the breed of bird that I try to talk would be Macaw owners into getting because my experience with them is that they are as much fun to watch and play with, smart, ect. These guys are usually constant motion...extremely playful. Not an expert since I only owned one...but with him as an example, and other people that I have talked to that had Caiques...I have never heard of one that didn't play or wasn't active? I think you should get a full blood work up done on this bird, make sure doesn't have something like zinc poisoning...unless maybe this bird has had a lot of trama. I do know they have very long memories. Had to give mine meds for 10 days one time....after day one he gave me the evil eye everytime I went to step him up...and it took 6 months afterwards to win his trust back...he never stopped stepping up for me, and to his credit he never did bite me, but I could tell by his body language that the full trust was gone for awhile, and I wasn't sure if I was going to get it back. I still think I would go for a full blood work up though...if it was my bird, just to be sure you are dealing with a healthy bird...

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey always gets happy when he watches the video of saroj12's Chickie and Jojo. Please play it for him.

ezra

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Margret
Not all birds, regardless of species, are exactly as advertised.
You could try training and all, but he might just be different. Or you need to spend some more time bonding, to get him warmed up to you. On the topic of what Debbie said, is he showing anything physical that's out of the ordinary? (wing flipping, fluffed up feathers)

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
It is a good idea to have an avian vet check him out.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I love Wendy's advice of "find your inner caique!" It's so true. Play is something that is learned from other juvenille caiques, so if you only have one, you have to be the other. I get on the floor with a basket of foot toys, hop them around, dangle them over my birds, and generally encourage them to play. Mine love Zydeco music (don't ask--I don't know. It's not my favorite!) so when a zydeco song comes on we play and dance and whistle and act silly. It's quite a sight to behold. LOTS of interaction is the key.

BirdDad

Meeting neighbors
I've b
Gosh I hate to say it...but I wonder if something medical could be going on? Caique's are known as the clowns of the parrot world...Mine loved leather strips with knots that he could untie..and beads that he could make crash to the ground all the better...bells...ect...This is the breed of bird that I try to talk would be Macaw owners into getting because my experience with them is that they are as much fun to watch and play with, smart, ect. These guys are usually constant motion...extremely playful. Not an expert since I only owned one...but with him as an example, and other people that I have talked to that had Caiques...I have never heard of one that didn't play or wasn't active? I think you should get a full blood work up done on this bird, make sure doesn't have something like zinc poisoning...unless maybe this bird has had a lot of trama. I do know they have very long memories. Had to give mine meds for 10 days one time....after day one he gave me the evil eye everytime I went to step him up...and it took 6 months afterwards to win his trust back...he never stopped stepping up for me, and to his credit he never did bite me, but I could tell by his body language that the full trust was gone for awhile, and I wasn't sure if I was going to get it back. I still think I would go for a full blood work up though...if it was my bird, just to be sure you are dealing with a healthy bird...
I've been trying to convince my sister to get him to a vet since people had suggested that on my other post.
I can't afford it right and she can...she just wants to spend her money on other things. @~@ I'll keep bugging her about it though and hopefully she'll take him soon.
The other home that he was in used cat litter at the bottom of the cage and I've been wondering if that would've caused him some respiratory issues. He hasn't seemed sick since we've got him but I still would like him to get checked out.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I like Wendy's advice. I also find mine HUGELY enjoy outdoor trips. Lots of stimulation

I've taken mine down to a beach restauraunt in their travel cages. They have a ball. All the activity and attention

But keep them covered in the car. They dont travel well, and keep the trip short

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Very probable that he did not get much socializing when he was little.
I do think he is older than what they told you. No problem with that.
He may need more time to feel comfortable in his new home.
Don't give up on him. He is a beautiful bird.