• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unknown wound

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hi,
Could my linnie cause this to himself? He keeps tucking it. My other linnie doesn't have any problems. Both also got an anti-parasite drip every month and have anti-bloodlice strips in their cage.
20190809_123123.jpg

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Somethings irritating your bird in that area. Best to have vet take a look before going and putting anything on it yourself. Putting anything on it might cause more irratation.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree. You don't want to fool around with sores on the foot.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It definitely looks like something I would want a vet to investigate. Sometimes they can hurt themselves on sharp points on a cage, cut zip ties, from falling, etc and then they sometimes keep picking at it because of the pain or other irritation.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
OH sorry I posted this late last night. Please let us know what happens.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww I agree on a trip to the vet. I hope your Linnie is OK.

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
I agree with the others, a vet check is called for. I am not who usually says vet for every single little thing, but there some conditions in which won't go away or the bird is really bothered by and that injury is one of them. That being said, I hope your linnie is ok and it is nothing serious.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
My vet told me to observe Chip, the wound was getting better when were on vacation even the feathers starting growing in slighty. Now that we are back and he is normal cage. I noticed he slips and falls pretty hard to the ground. They also can always fly free in my room, they have a few stand. But Chip miss counts the distance and slips sometimes from the stand of my keyboard and then falls to the ground hard. Today he fell from my keyboard and the place started bleeding again. :/

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Can you pad the floor of the cage? Maybe use wood shavings or paper shreds? I have one cage with newspaper, then a layer of no-pill fleece, then paper towels. As long as I change the paper towels often the fleece stays clean.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no, I'm sorry for Chip. When Gigi was a young bird she was very clumsy. We used a shorter cage during that time because she fell to the bottom often, but fortunately no injuries. I have heard that Linnies can continue to be a bit uncoordinated as they are a heavy bodied bird. I agree with @finchly that some soft layers could help, in the cage and outside of it where he flies. When Gigi's nails start to get long, I put a sheet down on the floor to protect her from catching on our berber area rug. If I needed more padding I would use a quilt.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What kind of perches are in the cage? Are they perhaps too slick (round dowels for instance)?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Those java wood kind of perches

Depending on the specific wood and thickness, java wood can be really slick. You could try to wrap parts of it with vet wrap to provide extra grip.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Depending on the specific wood and thickness, java wood can be really slick. You could try to wrap parts of it with vet wrap to provide extra grip.

Yes those java trees and perches can become slick, especially when wet after a bird decided to splash water everywhere.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Chip fell again from my keyboard and started beelding. My vet says he can't really do much. He thinks Chip is just clumbsy. I thought maybe a feather protector could maybe help him to demp the impact from the fall. What do you guys think? Or the other ideas?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What diet is your bird on? Certain vitamin deficiencies can manifest as poor balance and poor grip.

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
What diet is your bird on? Certain vitamin deficiencies can manifest as poor balance and poor grip.
I give them a mix. Beaphar big parakeet food mix and small parakeet mix. Then here in the netherlands we sell this egg mix, suppose to give them all the vitamines for egg laying. That's the biggest part of their dry feed. And then i add dried quinoa, chia and a little bit of pumpkin en wallnut every day.

Their fruit and veggies depends i get different kinds of save baby foods and then mix with different kind of fruits and veggies. For instance i gave them mango, peach and apple baby food with pomegranate, coconut pieces, brocoli. Some days i will add coconut oil in it or boil quinoa

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Both of my linnies weigh around 49 grams

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you able to buy a high quality pellet to mix in? Your fresh food sounds great and varied.

Oh no, I'm sorry. I would put quilts all around Chip's areas. What is a feather protector? A collar?