• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Unexpectedly completed my flock. In love all over again.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Craigslist is evil. Lol. But I rarely see well taken care of and loved birds. I haven’t seen another rose breasted cockatoo rehome anywhere close to our area. I really got lucky when I found her ad. And her old owner and I are still friendly. He loves her very much. Same with little Mali. She was rescued by a sweet bird lover from an owner who wasn’t taking care of her and quickly decided to dump her after they bought her from a breeder. She took her to the vet and got her on a good diet knowing she was going to rehome her because she works a ton of hours. She wanted to keep her but knew it was best to let her go.

I’ve never knew a bird could be so affectionate right off the bat! Day 2 and she’s making regurgitating movements for me. Uhg. Sweet that she likes me because I love her too but I don’t want to encourage that as she matures.
No, the ones we've gotten off of CL weren't taken care of either. The place where Cisco came from was really bad but I don't think they had them very long and I think the birds there fell in their lap and were free and we paid to get them out. There was a B&G that we ended up going back to get and gave her to George's rescue in IL. I couldn't leave her there when they contacted us again to see if we would take her but we absolutely could not take a B&G with all our dusty birds. Thankfully, George had room for her.

Cisco sounds a lot like Mali, instant bond to me and I could tell that she was really loved at some point in her life. Part of me really felt that if I placed her with someone else I would be betraying her, so we just decided to keep her and she seems to be happy. I just wish she would buddy up with one of our other single Amazons. Seeing Ami and Iris together really makes me think that they are happiest when they have a buddy. So far, she's only interested in me!:)

The greys were in kind of bad shape too but are sweet and loving little guys. I think they've been bounced around a bit and the owner we got them from was trying really hard but she might have been in a bit over her head.

I never know if I should keep in contact with the former owners or not. Some it's easy to tell, some it's not so easy to tell.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so happy for you laylatoo:D
Two of my three birds are from the Dutch craigslist as well. There are three big rescues but those rarely have small birds like lovies and tiels, my first bird, Tiki the Tiel, came from a sort of bird Mill, he had a very wounded beak and there were so Many birds there and they still sell birds... And they were located in an appartement. I recently saw that they are selling a macaw now as well, very strange.
Fëanor, lovebird, came from craigslist too and was reasonably loved. They thought they were taking Great care of him, it was not too bad but well, not good!
So I agree there are not a lot of cared for birds on There sadly.
But both are Total sweethearts, though Tiki was quite traumatized he learned to be a happy bird:heart:

Last edited:

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
@TikiMyn @jmfleish i love hearing Craigslist stories that end well for the birds! With Layla and Mali I paid a pretty penny for them even though they were rehomes but because they were both so well socialized and healthy I’m ok with it. Neither was a bargain but I’d pay double knowing what great birds they are honestly. I can’t believe the conditions some people try to sell their birds in for top dollar. Makes me so sad because I know nobody will step forward for them and the greedy owners don’t care enough to just get them in a better home.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
No, the ones we've gotten off of CL weren't taken care of either. The place where Cisco came from was really bad but I don't think they had them very long and I think the birds there fell in their lap and were free and we paid to get them out. There was a B&G that we ended up going back to get and gave her to George's rescue in IL. I couldn't leave her there when they contacted us again to see if we would take her but we absolutely could not take a B&G with all our dusty birds. Thankfully, George had room for her.

Cisco sounds a lot like Mali, instant bond to me and I could tell that she was really loved at some point in her life. Part of me really felt that if I placed her with someone else I would be betraying her, so we just decided to keep her and she seems to be happy. I just wish she would buddy up with one of our other single Amazons. Seeing Ami and Iris together really makes me think that they are happiest when they have a buddy. So far, she's only interested in me!:)

The greys were in kind of bad shape too but are sweet and loving little guys. I think they've been bounced around a bit and the owner we got them from was trying really hard but she might have been in a bit over her head.

I never know if I should keep in contact with the former owners or not. Some it's easy to tell, some it's not so easy to tell.
They all sounds amazing and I am so happy they landed in a soft spot with you! I also doubt wether I should update Fëanors previous caretaker or not. I did when he was with me three days and I don't know if I should do it again!

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Layla’s old owner and I text frequently. With Layla’s illness he was so worried and wanted updates. Very sweet and makes me feel good that she has had love before me. He and his wife also follow Layla and Jazzis Instagram page and he always tells me how much he loves it:)

They all sounds amazing and I am so happy they landed in a soft spot with you! I also doubt wether I should update Fëanors previous caretaker or not. I did when he was with me three days and I don't know if I should do it again!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@TikiMyn @jmfleish i love hearing Craigslist stories that end well for the birds! With Layla and Mali I paid a pretty penny for them even though they were rehomes but because they were both so well socialized and healthy I’m ok with it. Neither was a bargain but I’d pay double knowing what great birds they are honestly. I can’t believe the conditions some people try to sell their birds in for top dollar. Makes me so sad because I know nobody will step forward for them and the greedy owners don’t care enough to just get them in a better home.
I agree so much! I tried to find a lovie that ate Healthy foods and loved to play, so he could show Henkie, but that turned out to be quite hard! Eventually I fell in love with Fëanor and he was still pretty young so I decided I should be able to teach him those things quite easily so I adopted him:)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Layla’s old owner and I text frequently. With Layla’s illness he was so worried and wanted updates. Very sweet and makes me feel good that she has had love before me. He and his wife also follow Layla and Jazzis Instagram page and he always tells me how much he loves it:)
Ahww that is soo sweet!
And I didn't know your monsters had an instapten page! I am going to check it out:D

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
thanks! I don't even have instagram but I might have to make one just to follow all the insta parrots!

tracieerin

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tracie
Congrats! She is very cute. She looks like a Brownie (brown-headed poicephalus) or a mix thereof.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations!!! Pois are the bomb!:heart:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
She's beautiful, congrats!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And she eats broccoli! Yay!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You and your fantastic photos. :chrisphoto: You could make an ugly bird look good. (If there were such a thing as an ugly bird.)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Right?! If she’d teach the pinkies how to eat half as healthy as her then I’d be thrilled. Lol
Have they met or is she in quarantine? When they do meet she’ll be a good influence!

Last edited:

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
@faislaq no fancy photos here. Just some iPhone snaps. I promise my professional work is better. Lol

@saroj12 they have met. Unfortunately no way to quarantine the correct way in this house. It’s just not feasible or attainable to the correct standard that would actually work. Jazzi is actually a good eater too. Layla is my super picky girl but even she does pretty good as long as I purée all the good stuff up and add it to their creamy zen. :)