• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Undigested food in poops

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sending good thoughts!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Ollie gets better soon!!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I was nebulizing with F10 because the vet told me to continue, but I see how it might make him feel panicked and yukky if he is feeling sick. Perhaps I will leave off tonight. It's more like diarrhea today - poops with a high water content. Some vomiting again before I took off the covers this morning.. But he had a good appetite for his breakfast of fruit, sprouts and veggies. He was in fine voice too! I made a pasta, lentil and sweet potato stew with garlic which I served with more fruit, veggies and sprouts. He's eaten the sweet potato. It's good to see him eat. He ate very little yesterday which might be because I "contaminated" his food with Guardian Angel (vits and probiotics).

Enigma, this vet here prescribes probiotics too. I got some when Chico was ill 2 years ago.

A friend is doing some distant Reiki on Ollie right now. Interestingly he was preening for about 20 minutes beforehand. When she started there was a bit of growling, then he closed his eyes and is currently very still.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the strawberries caused some kind of gastritis, it makes sense that it would take time to a) pass out of his system and b) heal from the irritation. So I wouldn't discount that possibility for a few days yet.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you going to take him into the vet? Or are you waiting to see if it just passes & is done? I'm sorry he's still feeling crummy.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That is true, enigma. He has had no access to the strawberries for 3 days now. I hope it was the strawberries. His poops looked just about normal before he went to bed. I decided not to nebulize him and I've laid off any "additives" in his food and drink today.

Rain, a vet came to see him on Friday. She took the jar of poops I collected over 2 days to send off for testing. Results should be back in about 5 days. There are no avian vets here for members of the public, but the vet said she knew the in-house avian vet at Durrell Zoo who she will consult with if necessary.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd ate way too many raw pumpkin seeds one Halloween and he sat beside me looking like a 2 year old with a bad stomach ache for a few hours. I don't remember his poop being messed up but he certainly wasn't feeling well at all. He powered through it and was back to himself by the next morning thankfully. Hopefully your right and he over did unripe strawberries.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is true, enigma. He has had no access to the strawberries for 3 days now. I hope it was the strawberries. His poops looked just about normal before he went to bed. I decided not to nebulize him and I've laid off any "additives" in his food and drink today.

Rain, a vet came to see him on Friday. She took the jar of poops I collected over 2 days to send off for testing. Results should be back in about 5 days. There are no avian vets here for members of the public, but the vet said she knew the in-house avian vet at Durrell Zoo who she will consult with if necessary.

I'm sorry Roz I remember you mentioning that now... My lazy butt usually looks back but well, I was being lazy. I think it's cool that you worked out a way to get Ollie fixed up even tho there's not a way for a regular "office" vet visit. It was actually probably better then loading him into a car & all that stress on a fid that was feeling so crummy. Sending healing thoughts your way!!!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks, Rain! Yes, I really try to be careful with stress for Ollie as he is the one who has Asper too, plus the scarred air sacs, and the blocked nostril left over from sinusitis. Poops looking better today, although some smaller undigested bits this morning. Much less vomit. He's quite bright and energetic today. I do feel a bit helpless though with all the waiting for test results. Vet did say to contact them if he should get worse.

Terry, glad Nerd made it through the pumpkin seed binge!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope it was just the strawberries and that he'll be better soon.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Update on Ollie. We got the results yesterday: Inconclusive. They did a whole lot of tests on his poops but nothing out of the ordinary was flagged... no bacteria, no parasites, no yeasts. Since he is getting better, we decided to call it a day.

I've removed access to the strawberry plants (though I wouldn't have thought strawberries - even green ones - were toxic), been keeping him hydrated and warm, added probiotics to his drinking water, giving him Potent Brew (which helps with digestion) - rotating with DMG, adding vitamins to his breakfast, sometimes Milk Thistle to his evening juice (as the vet mentioned potential liver problems), diffusing Thieves essential oil (anti-bacterial and anti-fungal) and he's had two sessions of distant Reiki. No vomit yesterday morning and poops with very little and small undigested pieces. Ollie is back to his old self.

Keeping Ollie hydrated with a juicy organic pear before breakfast...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He is loved......

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it makes you feel any better, my girl who had YEARS of episodes like this and thousands of dollars of tests never got a positive diagnosis either. But she's been symptom free for 3 years now and my vet said in something like half the vomiting cases they see, the bird gets better and they never know what it was. Wishing you and Ollie all the best.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Hey, thanks both of you! He is desperately loved, Clueless! :heart:

Really interesting, enigma! Just glad your girl has been symptom free for 3 whole years now!! Hoping that is the end of it for Ollie... although the few pieces of undigested food still worry me...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Another beautiful photo of Ollie! I'm so glad he's feeling better!

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW lest it seem like something is amiss at my house: My birds are sick a lot because I intentionally adopt chronically ill birds. I don't get them healthy and then make them sick. :roflmao: (I always worry about this when I talk about all my experiences with weird illnesses.)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I think you know from his symptoms that something inflamed his gut, so it's not surprising that it's taking some time to heal.
Actually that makes me feel much better... that it is "taking some time to heal." I won't be so impatient and worried that it's taking time.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
BTW lest it seem like something is amiss at my house: My birds are sick a lot because I intentionally adopt chronically ill birds. I don't get them healthy and then make them sick. :roflmao: (I always worry about this when I talk about all my experiences with weird illnesses.)
That's so lovely of you! :heart:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually that makes me feel much better... that it is "taking some time to heal." I won't be so impatient and worried that it's taking time.
The upset went on for a while so it makes sense that recovery will take a while too. I'll be thinking of you and him!