• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Understanding The New Man in My Life

Dawne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dawne
Hi. I’m hoping to gain some insight and advise. I just (within the week) adopted a 43 year old CAG. I dont have a lot of information about his past. I adopted him from a young woman who had had him for 3 years. She inherited in from a family friend who passed unexpectedly. She had little experience with CAGs and although she loved him and provided for him she only handled him using a perch as she feared his bite. The first time I met he he stepped up on my hand and the girl stated to cry she was so happy to see this. But there was a dog present and a loss of balance and it ended badly for both me (bites and blood) and Victor (dropped to the floor and because scared). Since then I have not handled him either other than via perch, little touches through the cage and cautious kisses.

Anyway, he is friendly he kisses my fingers and allows me to kiss his beak. He behaves like he would like to step up but because of the bites I received I am fearful. Today I put my forearm up to him and he bit hard enough to leave a mark. However, I do not think it was a bite rather a test to see if that was a sturdy place to stand. He does not lunge, pin or strike. He is very sweet and calm it just seems like he does not know his own strength and does not know human bird contact etiquette. Furthermore I question his eyesight. Sometimes he grabs at food or toys and totally misses them - like he has depth perception issues.

What am I doing wrong and what am I going to do as I want to trust him and have him have physical contact with me if he wishes to.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please realize that this bird has had many homes and many different humans in his long life. Be very slow with him when you attempt any contact. Slow movements with a treat held in your hand may work over time. An African Grey is a very intuitive bird and will know you are afraid of him. This is not good so you should work on your fear as well as him. The AG birds need a high degree of stimulation such as playing with puzzles and other intelligent games which can be found sometimes in baby toys that are safe. The greys tend to be in fear of new things or new people in their world so go slow and don't put anything strange inside the cage for a good while. Hang a new toy in the room someplace first where he can see it and get used to seeing it in his world. If you are feeling the fear of his bite do not approach him at all.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Furthermore I question his eyesight. Sometimes he grabs at food or toys and totally misses them - like he has depth perception issues.
a 43 year old CAG.
The first thing you should do it to get him to a avian vet for a full exam.

And then do not handle him if you are afraid of him. It will send him the wrong signals. Grey's are sensitive birds.
You have so much time to create a strong bond so their is no need to rush.
Let him have out of cage time, and make him a nice playstand where you can watch and talk to each other from a little distance.
Spoil him with good food, sing to him, be funny and let him know that he is their to stay.

Anyway, he is friendly he kisses my fingers and allows me to kiss his beak.
When you decide to trust him, you will have a great friend. :)

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Lots of good advice above. The bite on the forearm does sound like a test. You have to be very careful and know your bird's signals. If he has vision problems, trust on where he steps will be a significant issue. I am very fortunate, Louise has only really bit once and it was not me-but at just over 2 she is still a baby. She has given warning nips and I try to learn from each one and act like it didn't happen (so the reaction doesn't become rewarding--Louise loves to feed the dogs from the top of her cage and gets VERY interested when they compete for the food, I have to monitor so there are not dog fights). I have taken bites from my friend's birds and I grin and bear it and learn from it- except the macaw--he outbluffs me...
Greys seem to understand a lot. I would talk to him about the incident and reassure him that it won't happen again. Always ask permission/describe what you are doing before handling, become predictable and be worthy of the trust. For example, when you hand him a treat, describe what you are doing "hey I am going to open the door and put a treat in your bowl/here take a treat from me....". I would sound weird to most folks, but if I don't take Louise, I tell her where i am going and when I'll be back "Louise, I am going to the bedroom to change my clothes and I will be right back"--and I answer her calls. When I go to work, I give her a treat and say I will be back in a few hours and to be a good bird....
Bottom line, birds bite. You have to expect it and learn to deal with it. I have had pretty deep bites, bloody and still go back. Not that big of a deal. When I first started handling birds, I had a grey on my shoulder who bit me every time I tried to get him to step up. I had him on my shoulders for HOURS. He had me and knew it. I finally got him off with treats. I handle that bird now all the time and he sometimes bits, I expect it, learn from it, and move on. His bites have become less frequent and less hard. And no more hours on my shoulder unless we agree.
And birds poop, wear a bird shirt!:wacky:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Vet exam important because of his age and potential for cataracts. You want him safe and if vision is impaired you need to make changes for safe flying.

Dawne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dawne
Hi Everyone !

Thanks so much for all of the great advise. I have other birds and have done tons of research so I am not a complete newby but at times I really feel like it. As it was said above “many homes” who knows what experiences he has had in in 43 years? He is strange because he behaves like he is craving contact and if I get close and get busy doing something like changing paper or dishes I am sure he would step on me if I am not vigilant. But we are not to the point of complete trust and comfort.

Sweet Louise; you are so right as sure as there will be poop there will be bites that is just the nature of the relationship. I think you are so right about the constant dialogue too. I do talk to all of my birds all of the time but the whole narrative about what is happening and why is a great and I will start that.

Our first Vet appointment is Wednesday - check up and full bloodwork. I need to have a baseline of his health so we can ensure he is getting the best care possible.

As for toys and play stands he is set - I have tons of interactive things most of them children’s toys and he had a stand in almost every room. When we are home he is out of his cage unless it is unsafe.

When I first started communicating with his previous owner she described him as “bomb proof” just takes everything in stride without ruffling a feather. It was a seven hour drive to bring him home. He sat in the backseat in his crate talking all the way, whistling “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” and happily taking any treats I would give him. He does not freak out or get scared he just takes it all in. Maybe its because he is 43 - seen it all and nothing gets him worked up lol,

Thank you all so much for taking the time to answer me. I will go slow and love him endlessly.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Sounds like an ideal home! would love to know what other birds and if you could post pictures....I love to live vicariously. Congratulations on your newest addition and thank you for taking him in.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It was a seven hour drive to bring him home. He sat in the backseat in his crate talking all the way, whistling “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” and happily taking any treats I would give him. He does not freak out or get scared he just takes it all in.
Someone socialized him very well and he sure sounds adorable. Congrats!
Our first Vet appointment is Wednesday - check up and full bloodwork. I need to have a baseline of his health so we can ensure he is getting the best care possible.

As for toys and play stands he is set - I have tons of interactive things most of them children’s toys and he had a stand in almost every room. When we are home he is out of his cage unless it is unsafe.
It will be perfect. he is in a good home.
Just give it time, and please let us know how vet visit goes. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Victor. :)

Great advice so far. I'm glad you've got a vet visit scheduled for him...that should give you more insight on possible vision concerns.
You're in it for the long haul...remember, patience, patience, patience! :)

Last edited:

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Gorgeous flock! Keep us updated as the new member gets settled (looking forward to hearing how the vet visit goes)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Your owners are beautiful. And very attention to what you are doing. So be careful. They are watching you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Your birds are beautiful.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Very handsome crew! Thank you for sharing!

Dawne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dawne
Good Evening All

Well the 43 year old Victor had his vet visit on Wednesday. I'm sure many of you could hear the screaming. It all went smoothly until they took him to take blood. I could hear this terrible screaming like he was being plucked alive. It went on for some time and it was breaking my heart. Then the vet tech came out and said "we haven't done anything he is still in his carrier". Lol how dramatic. Anyway they were able to get the blood sample and he was his happy self in no time. Looking forward to getting the results. It's been two weeks since we brought him home and he is settling in.

I'm still not handling him with me hands just on a perch.

He often sits on his perch and flaps like crazy. Is this just exercise or something else? I had read somewhere that it is a mating thing but I also read it is just pure joy. What is it?

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Louise likes to get on the top of her cage and flap like crazy. Sometimes she flaps so hard that she hangs on with her feet and mouth. "big wings". I don't think it is mating behavior/Louise has done it since she was months old. I think she does it for fun.