• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

underdeveloped/runt cockatiel?

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I should've taken a picture, but didn't. Today I found myself in a NOT great petshop in my town, and fell in love with 2 pied/pearl(?) (grey specks/streaks over light yellow) cockatiels. The woman there said that one was 6 months old, and the other 5 months old.

The 6 month old looked like a normal full grown cockatiel - full crest, robust looking, nice looking tail. He had bright orange cheeks.

The 5 month old looked considerably younger, but she assured me that he was born in early September (that seems more about 4 1/2 months old). This one had very faint orange cheeks. Anyway, he had almost no crest sticking up, just the teeniest bit of one at all it seemed, he also looked MUCH smaller than the other one in girth. About half the size, and pretty fragile/pathetic looking.

Also, the older one stepped on my finger, no problem, but the younger one had to be held in my cupped hands, as he didn't know how to perch yet I suppose. He tried to fly away at one point, and landed awkwardly on the ground.

So I'm wondering (without seeing photos, sorry) if he could be just a little underdeveloped, or is this a sign of illness/weakness do you think?

Anyway. I just loved them both, and wondered if the little one looked sort of pathetic because he was just a little underdeveloped, or maybe there might be something wrong. (Other than the looks of him, he didn't seem to be acting ill or anything).

I could even try to get a picture some point in the next couple days.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I would love to see pics. It is so hard when you fall for an animal and fear there might be something wrong. Hard to adopt, harder to not... I just adopted a very small schnauzer. Got her at 3 months and she was 4-5 pounds (ave is 8-10). She is now 5 months and 6.5 pounds. I think she is a little "special". I have had prob a dozen schnauzer puppies over the years and none have been this hard to potty train and relentlessly impulsive. I knew when I got her there could be problems, but I didn't get the problems I expected. I am working with it and love her dearly and do not regret the decision. Very long way of saying if you can work with the issues, afford the issues, and love the bird, she will have a better life with you than someone who is ill prepared or doesn't recognize there may be issues. There may also be someone who is more prepared than you. Please keep us updated and good luck with this decision.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Thank you @Sweet Louise I have been casually looking around at different birds to see what feels right, and man, I just wanted to snatch that little one up instantly. Also, it was a very chaotic/dirty pet store. Most of the birds in there were extremely wild, cages stacked on top of cages, the 2 little cockatiels kept in a cage very near the floor. Ugh. But I held them both, and that little one - even though I was more or less restraining him - let me snuggle his head, and he closed his eyes and seemed to like it. I just don't know. I'll see if I can get back there to get some pics. Thank you! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
But I held them both, and that little one - even though I was more or less restraining him - let me snuggle his head, and he closed his eyes and seemed to like it. I just don't know.
When he closed his eyes as you restrained him, that was a sign of a very weak bird. Not because he liked it. There was no fight in that bird.

That store will use your emotions against you. They don't care about that bird. As long as it lives long enough for you (or anyone else) to buy it (to make room for more).

I understand where your heart is but no matter what you do, the birds lose.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you @Sweet Louise I have been casually looking around at different birds to see what feels right, and man, I just wanted to snatch that little one up instantly. Also, it was a very chaotic/dirty pet store. Most of the birds in there were extremely wild, cages stacked on top of cages, the 2 little cockatiels kept in a cage very near the floor. Ugh. But I held them both, and that little one - even though I was more or less restraining him - let me snuggle his head, and he closed his eyes and seemed to like it. I just don't know. I'll see if I can get back there to get some pics. Thank you! :)
Warmth of hands being cupped around him and the feeling of protection like that of being with a parent. If the older one is stronger it could also be that the little one is being bullied and isn't getting enough food or water. I'm a sap, I'll admit it. I'd go back and get him just because. Sometimes the runts turn out to be the sweetest of birds even if their life span isn't as long as it should be.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Goodness, the way you describe that little bird makes me want to go and snatch him up right now! I know John is right about not enabling that store, but I would have to get that little bird anyway and shower him with all the love he deserves.:heart:

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
It's like fighting with what your mind says and what the heart wants. Many feel a need in "rescuing" birds in pet stores with those conditions. And in that event always seems to be a double-edged sword in the outcomes, for better or for worse. In acquiring him you may just make him the happiest bird and he may flourish. A hard decision for sure, but in getting the runt would mean he'll be a special bird! As @Birdbabe alluded to, just be prepared...

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Poor little guy , like others have said buying him is enabling the store but sometimes you do have to follow your heart even if it leads to heart ace. I probably would have scoped him up in a second, I have a soft spot for animals and would rescue them all if I could.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
When he closed his eyes as you restrained him, that was a sign of a very weak bird. Not because he liked it. There was no fight in that bird.

That store will use your emotions against you. They don't care about that bird. As long as it lives long enough for you (or anyone else) to buy it (to make room for more).

I understand where your heart is but no matter what you do, the birds lose.
John - You are absolutely right about the store - I was disgusted. I used to volunteer a bit at the Macaw & Cockatoo rescue in NM, but it's been years, and I wanted to get reacquainted with different types of birds, so I've been "looking around" a bit lately. My intent was to find a rescue, but the nearest one to me is a few hours away, and have not returned my messages in a few weeks, so I'm not sure. I've also been met with a lot of craigslist scams lately when enquiring there. Anyway, I always appreciate your insights, and know you are right. I hate to leave those birds there, but I also hate to support such an awful place. I'll be thinking it over. Thank you!

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
No denying that one

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Warmth of hands being cupped around him and the feeling of protection like that of being with a parent. If the older one is stronger it could also be that the little one is being bullied and isn't getting enough food or water. I'm a sap, I'll admit it. I'd go back and get him just because. Sometimes the runts turn out to be the sweetest of birds even if their life span isn't as long as it should be.
That's what I wondered too Sandra, being unfamiliar with babies, I couldn't tell if he was just a little guy, or if somethings going on to prevent him from flourishing.

John is wise, Sandra has a big heart...I'm a sucker..I'd get the runt...listen to your heart but be prepared ..hopefully the baby will flourish, if you get him..:hug8:
Thank you Birdbabe. I'm going to be tossing some thoughts (and feelings) around. <3

Goodness, the way you describe that little bird makes me want to go and snatch him up right now! I know John is right about not enabling that store, but I would have to get that little bird anyway and shower him with all the love he deserves.:heart:
Yes, and if that happens, I'll just make sure to never step foot in there again. :darkcloud:

It's like fighting with what your mind says and what the heart wants. Many feel a need in "rescuing" birds in pet stores with those conditions. And in that event always seems to be a double-edged sword in the outcomes, for better or for worse. In acquiring him you may just make him the happiest bird and he may flourish. A hard decision for sure, but in getting the runt would mean he'll be a special bird! As @Birdbabe alluded to, just be prepared...
Thank you. You are absolutely right. I'm waiting to hear back from a rescue some hours away about visiting there, but in the meantime, this little guy - and/or his brother actually - are pulling at my heart.

Poor little guy, like others have said buying him is enabling the store but sometimes you do have to follow your heart even if it leads to heart ace. I probably would have scoped him up in a second, I have a soft spot for animals and would rescue them all if I could.
I totally feel you Catherine. I'm going to try to be wise here, but we shall see.

Might as well face it folks, when it comes to little ones who are runts we're pretty much all saps.
:xflove:

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Okay all. I braved the ice today and went back to that pet shop, and got some photos. I didn't want to ask the woman to get them out because last time it was a little bit rough/scary on them. Today they seemed very interested in me through the bars, especially the one with more yellow. It's a little hard to tell because of angles, etc. but the 6 month old is the one with the full yellow crest, and the 5 month old is the more grey one with very little crest. The 5 month old is about half the size or maybe a little more than that, of the 6 month old, though it's hard to see. What do you think? Do they look unhealthy or just scruffy? Is the little guy a runt? I just don't know what to look for, I haven't seen cockatiels in person much.

Size difference:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The little one looks like he's been picked on or had feathers plucked but that's mho. He is, however, looking at you quite intently ... as is the bigger one. I hesitate to ask what they're asking for them?

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
The little one looks like he's been picked on or had feathers plucked but that's mho. He is, however, looking at you quite intently ... as is the bigger one. I hesitate to ask what they're asking for them?
They're asking $150 each. I felt like telling them they should just let me take them off their hands, as the owner said "they don't usually get out of their cage, so they're a little wild". :shifty:

Other than just looking picked on, do you think they look normal/healthy? The little one seems pretty clumsy as well, but I don't know if thats just his youth or what...

Another thing I noticed today: the more yellow one was very vocal, and I never heard a peep out of the little one.

Last edited:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am not a cockatiel owner. The yellow one looks like a classic beauty. The small one looks completely adorable and intently looking at you. It is quite sad that he/she seems to be getting picked on. If you get them both, will they continue to share a cage? Are there other birds in the cage that could be doing the plucking referenced? I am a sucker for sure and I would have a very hard time not taking the little one home...

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
And very greedy to top things off. :rant:
Yeah. I really don't want to support these people. :shifty:

I am not a cockatiel owner. The yellow one looks like a classic beauty. The small one looks completely adorable and intently looking at you. It is quite sad that he/she seems to be getting picked on. If you get them both, will they continue to share a cage? Are there other birds in the cage that could be doing the plucking referenced? I am a sucker for sure and I would have a very hard time not taking the little one home...
I don't know if I'm getting either at this point. I take a long time making decisions. But if I did, no, they wouldn't share a cage. I think the little one needs his own space for a while. They are the only 2 cockatiels there, so if he is getting picked on, it's that one who's doing it.

Aww, reminds me of my own little guy.
Aw! What a little sweetie! Is he a runt, or just younger?