• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Uncoordinated, but sweet

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
At some point, a pair of mourning doves decided to make their nest in the eaves, simewhere outside my bedroom window.

So, when their clutch hatched, Syd and I could hear the peeps from the babies rather clearly through my window. Whenever they went on a rant, and waiting for the parents to return to feed them, Syd would start pacing the top of my dresser, looking nervously out the window...they louder they got, the more frantic his pacing became. He would call out to them too, as if to tell them "don't worry, they'll be back...I'm watching you, and you're alright!"

I know he was half of a breeding pair, so I'm assuming his parental instincts kicked in, or that the sound brought back memories for him. Whichever, he made me giggle to see him so concerned.

Well, the 2 babies have just barely learned to fly...if you want to call it that, lol. They've been working on their landings, apparently.....much grace has yet to be learned! But, I've noticed that they're landing in places where they can see Syd, and he, them! Yesterday morning, they were resting on top of one of the patio umbrellas...today, they've landed (not at all gracefully, either lol) in the tree next to the patio, on branches that are low enough to have full view of Syd.

Visits to Adopted Grampa Syd....I'm giggling, but I think that's pretty darned cool!

Yesterday morning, almost directly above Syd's stand:
20170802_082849.jpg

About 20 minutes ago:
20170804_143658.jpg
(It's hard to see him in all the leaves, lol...but he's there!)

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Aw that is the sweetest story.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
He's a frustrated daddy - it's so wonderful that he has so much interest in the babys.