• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Umbrella Cockatoo dislikes women

Pennys People

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Heather & Skip
So.... We adopted Penelope, a 35 year old Cockatoo. Her owner had passed and the wife had a love/hate relationship with the bird and had to part with it. She wanted to do more with Penelope but was afraid to let her out of her cage due to biting episodes. I was warned that she hated females and had bitten and pulled hair out of those women who try to approach her. She took immediately to my husband and showed happy signs coming right out of the cage to him from the get go. Apparently he resembles Penelope's former owner, go figure lol. Since she's been with us she had been let out of the cage daily, increasing the time bit by bit and had been rather good. I spend a lot of time socializing with her to get her to trust me and she slowly is approaching me on her own out of the cage BUT when I did happen to get her to come out of the cage and perch on my shoulder (and even give me kisses! ), she flipped a psycho switch and tried to bite my face when my husband walked into the room. And yesterday when she was sitting on the couch next to him, I put my arm out slow and easy and, Christ oh mighty, that stinker chomped down on my arm!
Is this territorial? Hormonal?
Any advice on taming this behavior?
She's also good with my boys too but after that arm deal, I'm a little apprehensive about letting them pet or handle her.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
BUT when I did happen to get her to come out of the cage and perch on my shoulder (and even give me kisses! ), she flipped a psycho switch and tried to bite my face when my husband walked into the room.
This happens a lot when the birds chosen person comes into the room, in this case, you husband.
It would be wise to make sure you put her down on a stand when you know Skip will be coming into the room.
I don´t know if you will ever be able to stop that from happening, but don´t be discouraged from trying to build a relationship with Penelope - just be aware that that happens, and do your best to avoid it.

Sometimes it´s not what the bird does, but what we can do to better the situation. Learn when she would bite, and avoid those situations. In time, you will figure it out.

You say your ¨boys¨, are they teenagers or adult? Maybe @JLcribber can give you his thoughts on that.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just don't look at @JLcribber war wounds - LOL, they are scary! He's been bitten uh... "a few times".
Hope you can get Penny to warm up to you and learn to divert the biting if at all possible! :scared5::scared4::scared1:

Pennys People

Real Name
Heather & Skip
My boys are 13,17,& 21 yr old twins. She seems to like them just fine but then again Skip was not in the room.

Here's what she did to me through a heavy sweatshirt.

Attachments

Pennys People

Real Name
Heather & Skip
Just don't look at @JLcribber war wounds - LOL, they are scary! He's been bitten uh... "a few times".
Hope you can get Penny to warm up to you and learn to divert the biting if at all possible! :scared5::scared4::scared1:
Ugh... I did see the battle wounds :jawdrop1:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Ugh... I did see the battle wounds :jawdrop1:

Ruh roh... too late to turn back now right? ;)
Nice Penny.. nice Penny... HERE, have a treat Penny - BEFORE biting! :blink:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a thing about birds being the shoulders-only a few I totally trusted-any time they are higher then you they have a feeling of superiority and when you have a biter it can be so dangerous, that big red scarlett in my avatar pic almost took out my eye. While you are trying to build a relationship with her I would make sure she doesn't feel like she has the upper hand. Good luck, its takes time & patience's.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
A lot of moving parts going on here. Penelope might just have chosen your hubby as the "chosen" one...and yes, it could be territorial or hormonal. You guys were advised she didn't like females..those things do happen.
Since there could be a lot of different things-or a combination of those things at the cause, "taming" the behavior is going to be quite the challenge. I also don't really think you can "tame" that kind of thing, IMO.
I have a thing about birds being the shoulders-only a few I totally trusted-
I totally agree...my belief is that 'toos should never be allowed on your shoulders...ever. Cassie, my soul bird, was not allowed...and Milton is certainly NOT, either!

In my opinion, birds should be able to like who they want. Right now, Penelope prefers your hubby...in our house, Buddy's love is my brother. She comes alive when he visits...she climbs on his shoulder and whispers to him. She refuses to leave him until he has to leave...and even then she contact calls for him for an hour after he leaves.
For my wife and I...all we get is grumbles...at least we don't get bitten. ;)

And you never know...birds can be fickle with their affections...you never know when Penelope might change her mind and start wanting to hang out with you....;)