• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ultimate cage mat! maybe...

samccormack

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Scott
I’ve been on the search for some cage mats that will protect my carpets and support my cages better than what the chair mats and foam mats have been able to do without spending a fortune. Finally last week I found this on amazon:

IncStores - 16 Piece Modular Tap Dance Set with Edge Pieces (Oak) - Excellent for use as portable dance floors, trade show booths, and general flooring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CRA4JFW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9aDICb2CPPTD3‘

It remains to be seen how they hold up long term but they hold up the cages well so far and work on carpets and hard floors.

Before anyone asks Elima’s cage had just been placed and I hadn’t hung her water bottle yet. :)

Here is a picture of a 4x4 foot floor under Elima’s cage
5291A194-5F73-4C64-A347-0E2A96A69EF1.jpeg

Last edited:

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Looks nice. So, you're going to be cleaning a 'floor' instead of a rug? Personally, I think I like cleaning a rug. Why? Cuz all I have to do is vacuum it up. No scrubbing or water or soap or anything but vacuuming.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That looks like a good solution for protecting the carpet. I hope it works out for you! The manufacturer claims to have a 12 year warranty too. Hopefully you'll never need to use it but if so I hope parrot destruction is covered :wacky:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Looks like a great way to make a carpeted area into a vynil covered bird room or play area. Almost all the rooms in my house are carpeted so finding bird safe areas for Dobby is hard. He lives on the vynil front door threshold that we don't use. We use the office carpet vynil runners and office chair covers. Kinda spendy but if they truly last 12 years and can be locked together or used by themselves it's quite a easy reasonable solution.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I’ve been on the search for some cage mats that will protect my carpets and support my cages better than what the chair mats and foam mats have been able to do without spending a fortune. Finally last week I found this on amazon:
Looks like a great way to make a carpeted area into a vynil covered bird room or play area. Almost all the rooms in my house are carpeted so finding bird safe areas for Dobby is hard. He lives on the vynil front door threshold that we don't use. We use the office carpet vynil runners and office chair covers. Kinda spendy but if they truly last 12 years and can be locked together or used by themselves it's quite a easy reasonable solution.
Looks nice. So, you're going to be cleaning a 'floor' instead of a rug? Personally, I think I like cleaning a rug. Why? Cuz all I have to do is vacuum it up. No scrubbing or water or soap or anything but vacuuming.
Over the years I have attempted many solutions for this problem... What I have finally settled on, and it works quite well, is to wrap a vinyl mesh (literally HD window screen) around the bottom half of all the cages. I attached with aluminum corner bead. This keeps the majority of the mess inside the cage. I also simply use moving blankets from harbor freight. They are like 10$ and are machine washable. I switch them out as needed.