• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Uh oh!!!! Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annie
I think the problem is downsizing them from such a big pond to a small tank, which causes stress and because the space is limited, the nitrite and ammonia spiked, produced from waste. Temperature could be a bit too hot too but then I have my common feeder (now a monster size) in a tropical Asian tank but in a 215 gallon. Also, initially when the tank is first set up, the water has be cycled for a month to get the nitrite down.

I hope your 50% water change helps but yes make sure you use tap water conditioner. And when you add the water in, add it high so that it creates bubbles, this elinimates the chlorine from the water too. And yes get a testing kit ;)

As to picking out dead fish, use a fish net.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I think the problem is downsizing them from such a big pond to a small tank, which causes stress and because the space is limited, the nitrite and ammonia spiked, produced from waste. Temperature could be a bit too hot too but then I have my common feeder (now a monster size) in a tropical Asian tank but in a 215 gallon. Also, initially when the tank is first set up, the water has be cycled for a month to get the nitrite down.

I hope your 50% water change helps but yes make sure you use tap water conditioner. And when you add the water in, add it high so that it creates bubbles, this elinimates the chlorine from the water too. And yes get a testing kit ;)

As to picking out dead fish, use a fish net.
They had been in the tank since May of this year, so I am not sure if "stress" from moving would still apply. Or would it?

Just a quick update, the remaining goldie and the pleco are still alive this morning, the goldie is now swimming around some, instead of floating and breathing labored. I am hoping we are out of the weeds.

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
They had been in the tank since May of this year, so I am not sure if "stress" from moving would still apply. Or would it?

Just a quick update, the remaining goldie and the pleco are still alive this morning, the goldie is now swimming around some, instead of floating and breathing labored. I am hoping we are out of the weeds.
that's some good news. good job

Annie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Annie
In that case it wouldn't be from stress then. Perhaps just nitrite and ammonia spike. But glad you got it sorted out!

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Great news!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is awesome. Good job on the water change!:highfive: I thought you had just moved them. No, more likely as you suspected the heater malfunctioned, causing them to start dieing, in turn harming the others as the ammonia spiked.

Status
Not open for further replies.