• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ugly macaw tail :/

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Aw sooo cute! Welcome to the forum to you both!

Don't worry about the tail or baby scruffiness. My harlequin is 2 years old and scruffy from all the rough housing. He has only juuuust started to realize he has feathers sticking from his bum and honestly in the past 3 months has actually started to preen the big, long ones. He had no trouble with the shorter feathers, but those 2-3 *big* feathers went unnoticed and uncared for. Showers helped the feathers look nice for a tiny bit, but as soon as he's dry and mobile...good bye straight, orderly feathers. :wacky:

htee

Meeting neighbors
@Chopper LOLL omg that is soo cute. I hope mine can start talking later on. Do you know what age at when they start to talk? Im trying to get mine to imitate a kissy noise but i've only had him for a month so i guess i might be waiting for a while.

Also @nu2birds @tka @Birdbabe i've noticed that you guys have commented specifically about his face. Im just curious but don't all macaws look the same? :p Does my one have a specifically cuter face? or you were just commentating his posture at the time? haha

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Babies just have insanely sweet little faces. They're so soft and bright white, with those big ol' dark eyes...:xflove::heart:

htee

Meeting neighbors
Ohh i see! so when they grow up they won't look like that anymore? hahaha dam i didn't notice babies/adults looked different :p

@jen2016 i showered Nova too and that happened to me as well. As soon as he dried off its back to ugly again. I even tried using a spray bottle on his tail frequently to keep it tidy for longer and i just gave up after a few hours haha.

Also i made a compilation video of Nova since some people were asking for some photos of him. Thought you guys might appreciate it more than my friends here who have no interest :p

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Adults have bright yellow eyes and get a little wrinklier as they age. They're still super cute though! :D
This is my buddy Taco (after smearing a blueberry across his face lol)

20180712_092102.jpg

Last edited:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a cute video!! Nova's so sweet!

Baby Laurel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Laurel Howard
What a sweet baby angel! We adopted Pippin a couple of months ago and she just gets sweeter and more cuddly every day. Her tail is a hot mess too... we have to rough house for at least an hour before bed.

I don’t have human children so my friends are paying up for the past 20 yrs when I graciously looked at pics of their kids. In that spirit, here are pics of Pippin. Playing “got your nose” with a macaw is the extreme sport version of a trust fall. D18A4530-966E-42F1-A729-46996A92FFD3.jpeg FA222885-BEF7-49F8-9590-E62EA1882EE5.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Love the video, he is so cute and very cuddly.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@htee they are the same species, but each one looks different and his face is unique and soooo kissable!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
@Chopper LOLL omg that is soo cute. I hope mine can start talking later on. Do you know what age at when they start to talk? Im trying to get mine to imitate a kissy noise but i've only had him for a month so i guess i might be waiting for a while.

Also @nu2birds @tka @Birdbabe i've noticed that you guys have commented specifically about his face. Im just curious but don't all macaws look the same? :p Does my one have a specifically cuter face? or you were just commentating his posture at the time? haha
I've known some macaws at my friends store to start talking at an early age. 6 months would not be unheard of.

Each macaw face is different. You will start noticing it more now that it has been pointed out to you.

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
The biggest difference I notice in the face as they age is the color of their eyes... they start off really dark, turn lighter brown, lighter brown, and eventually that super pretty silver color. That and of course the beak growing a lot!

Babies look a mess, its okay they're having fun. Ollie never pays attention to what she's doing with her tail (until she gets it stuck on something!), its just too big for her to deal with! Gets in the way of play ;)

Left picture - Ollie at 6 months, loving some strawberries
Right picture - Ollie at 15 months, still loving some strawberries

IMG-0241.JPG IMG-4300.JPG

htee

Meeting neighbors
@issajoy wow! yours looks so different at 6 months. still looks like a baby haha.

And yeah.. since i posted this Nova has broken 2 tail feathers already zzzz

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
17715F80-8F1B-4C57-B583-AD16A7602532.jpeg
At least he has a tail!

:D Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

All my birds had terrible looking tails as babies....

Mr Walter however... has no tail. LOL.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

htee

Meeting neighbors
@WallyLoopey OMG LOL. i laughed so hard at that picture. What the hell happened to his tail??? Is that him now? or when he was a baby?

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Please tell me what breed of dog that is and where I can buy it! :lol:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
@htee That’s him now. We got him like that from a woman off craigslist. She claimed another macaw plucked him.

He snips his feathers off and throws them on the ground, thankfully he doesn’t mess with his chest feathers like other birds.

I think a dog attacked him in the last but who knows. I’m just guessing based off him screaming bloody murder when he saw one once. He’s been with us over 2 year and still no tail.