• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UGH, I really don't want a turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
My daughter has been asked if she wants a turtle. It does not sound like it is being taken care of very well. I really do not want one. It is a red ear slider living is a 29 gallon. They rarely change the water, feed it turtle pellets. No heater, etc. Anyone want it LOL It is free I just don't really want to add another pet but feel I probably should. I wonder if I can get it and take it somewhere?

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
My mother had a turtle and she ended up having to rehome it to a "reptile guy." They constantly outgrow their tanks and eventually need a more pond-like enclosure. They stink to high Heaven once they get over a certain size. And be careful, as they carry salmonella. My advice: find someone who has a pond set up and rehome the turtle there.

EccentricWrite

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelsey E.L.
We already have a bearded dragon. I really hope we can give the turtle a good home :starshower1:

paperdragon

If it's a female it'll eventually need an about 110g tank/pond (males tend to be a little smaller, so 90-100g), a very heavy-duty filter, and a much larger basking area than those little turtle docks they sell in stores. Plus you'll be buying UVB bulbs twice a year and a lot of water conditioner (I like Seachem Prime myself, it goes much farther than the other brands). Reptomin and hikari pellets for around 25% of the diet, the rest should be plants with occasional treats of things like fish or a bit of egg white. redearslider.com is a great resource for turtle info.

Edited to add: outdoor enclosures need a good solid wall at least 2ft high and sunk into the ground about 1ft to keep the turtle in and most likely netting to keep predators
out.

Last edited:

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
See that is what I thought. They are not using water conditioner, filter, heater or anything :( That poor turtle. Thank you so much for the info. I really do no not want to get involved in turtle care at the moment. They have had it for a few years. Sad.

parsley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Terri
Yes they do require alot of care and bear in mind, that they live for years and years. When my son was 6 years old we got him a little turtle, he loved turtles! Well my son is 31 years old and guess what ? I have a turtle...........still!!! He is a smaller variety, a Mississippi Map I believe. He is in a 55 gal and has been for years. I hope someday my son decides to take him on......

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Turtles are VERY dirty. My niece wanted one so we got one. It was just a baby. Maybe 2 inches? We had a filter heater and a big tank. Something happened and it died. She was so upset so I got her 2 more babies after cleaning the tank well. The filter did not help at all we upgraded the tank size and filter size and it was pointless they were so dirty. It was so bad. I would literally take the turtles out and take a shop vac and suck all the water out and fill it with fresh water. That was the only way to keep it clean. Eventually I couldnt take it anymore and my moms friend had a indoor pond or some type of pont where she had other red ear sliders and she took them and they are doing great.

I know in my state of Pa you are not supposed to have baby turtles unless it is for educational purposes so as long as you are teaching someone about the turtles you are fine. There is a pet store near me that takes in unwanted animals and resells them for cheaper. They would not take in a turtle smaller then I think 5 inches. Call your local shelter and ask who you could call that you really dont want this turtle but you dont want it living in the condition its in.

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
My cousin got a turtle and they ended up giving it away. Ask your friends and family if they want one instead?

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
I'm sure the mid-Michigan reptile rescue will be able to find someone who can give the little guy everything he needs if y'all can bring him there. (Bunnyhugger, your mom (I think? lol) is right about turtles being a whole lot more work than beardies. Although in my opinion you guys are doing great if you bother with raising insects for a lizard, haha!)

KaribaCalico

Jogging around the block
This was posted 4 months ago so I am sure the turtle has already been rehomed.

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
Real talk? I thought I was finally being helpful around here! Space cadet reporting for duty, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.