1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UGH!! FRUIT FLY HELP NEEDED!!

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by Newbie GCC, 6/12/17.

1. Newbie GCC

Newbie GCC Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Heather
    I need help from my fellow "bird brains"! How do I get rid of this damn fruit fly invasion??
    Food bowls get removed after a couple hours. I normally clean cages with f10 every night and change papers, but the fruit flies are driving me and the flock nuts!! Trying 50/50 white vinegar and water now to deter the nasty little buggers. Any helpful tips? PLEASE?!?!?!

2. BlueAbyss

BlueAbyss Walking the driveway

You can fill up a bowl of fruit then cover it with plastic wrap. Use a toothpick or something to poke small holes in the wrap. Place around places in the house where you think the flies are coming from. They get themselves trapped in the bowl and don't know how to get out.

3. Newbie GCC

Newbie GCC Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue

Heather
    Just put 2 bowls of canned peaches covered with saran wrap with toothpick holes on top of the cages. Hope the little buggers find their way in and drown themselves! Also poured boiling water and dawn dish soap down the drains.

4. Jenphilly

Jenphilly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Rescue Representative

Jennifer - A Helping Wing
    A trick my husband learned in military. Shallow dish of apple cider vinegar with a drop or two of dish liquid. Don't mix, just let the dish liquid - like Dawn - settle. The flies are drawn to the apple cider vinegar but the Dawn changes the viscosity of the liquid and the fruit flies get stuck and drown.

I put out a couple bowls when I forget bananas... works like a charm!

5. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    use sweet smelling dish soap works the best.

Newbie GCC likes this.
  6. Mizzely

Mizzely Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    I use the fruit fly traps by Terro. Wal-Mart, Home depot, etc carry them and ALWAYS work for me

Newbie GCC likes this.
  7. DQTimnehs

DQTimnehs Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs! Administrator DQ Lou Who Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Jennifer
    I use a small container of water with a few drops of lemon dish soap (Sunlight) in it. The flies end up drowning in it.

I also now rinse my bananas as soon as I bring them home as I read that there are fruit fly eggs on them which hatch. I haven't had fruit flies since I started doing that a year or 2 ago.

Newbie GCC likes this.
  8. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you?

Sadie
    This is the best. We had an invasion of these little pests. Believe it or not, they look like fruit flies but they weren't! They were phorid flies. HUGE invasion of them this past summer. They were literally in every building all over the city. I'd mix a little bit of old soda, acv, and Dawn in shallow containers and killed hundreds of the little beggars. It was the only thing keeping them at bay.

9. Newbie GCC

Heather
    No covering with Saran wrap with holes punched in it?

10. Just-passn-thru

Just-passn-thru Rollerblading along the road Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Suzanne
    Apple cider vinegar in a small container, that's what the fruit fly traps have inside.

Newbie GCC likes this.
  11. Jenphilly

Jenphilly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Rescue Representative

Jennifer - A Helping Wing

nope, once the flies land, they get stuck because of the Dawn... changes the liquid texture and they can't sit on top of it and fly off.

Newbie GCC likes this.
  12. theocnoob

theocnoob Jogging around the block Avenue Veteran

Pablo and George
    Might want to change your fruit source. Unlike other flies that come into the home from outside, more often than not, fruit flies come from the fruit itself. They lay eggs in fruit on the tree and when that fruit gets to your house and reaches a certain ripeness the flies come out of the fruit and start buzzing around your home.

I'm sorry to tell you that if you didn't already know that because I know how gross it is to think you're eating flies when you bite into a piece of fruit but they're too tiny to notice. Fig wasps, on the other hand, are a bit more meaty. Don't google fig wasps if you eat figs. It'll ruin it for you.

Newbie GCC likes this.
  13. Zelle

Zelle Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

Zelle
    I keep a fan on and it blows those little buggers away

Newbie GCC likes this.
  14. Milo

Milo Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Santa Coco ROCKS the SOCKS

Jenny
    We had a pretty bad run in with fruit flies last summer, I went around and vacuumed up the ones I could see on the wall. We also used the cling wrap trick with some banana, it took a few days but it got things under control

Newbie GCC likes this.
  15. hotfoot jackson

hotfoot jackson Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Sue
    Fantastic solutions all....there is a chance that the wee flies may be vinegar flies....they are attracted to rotting fruit and are harmless...they often ruin wine when it ferments, turning it into vinegar, hence the name

Newbie GCC likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)