• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Uchtred plucking pinnies :(

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Long story coming:

This same time last year Uchtred decided to swan dive into a cake that had strawberry jam on it, then flop around. I had to bath her multiple times to "dejam" her feathers. Her skin was irritated and broken out under her wings and that night she plucked alot of her feathers and pinnies. I took her to the vet the next day and they gave her some soother spray. I was still randomly finding 1-2 pinnies on the cage floor for months after.

Now she is molting bad. I never see any fully plucked bald spots on her (although she looks alittle rough right now, poor baby) but keep finding a ton of pinnies everywhere. Vet said that the cake nightmare last year probably trigger it. That she associates the relief of pulling pinnies out now to the time her skin was irritated and she plucked.

I've been keeping the humidy high, giving her baths, alittle coconut oil and a tiny sprinkle of bee pollen on her chop.

She has been vetted recently and goes back again in March. I've had CBC, lead and zinc testing, gram and she was check for internal and external parasites.

I get so sad when I find pin feathers. I know she is uncomfortable and itchy. I wish I could do more for her. I'm glad she doesn't full out pluck her feathers but it is still disheartening.

20180225_183203-1.jpg Pinnies I found today :(

20180225_183120-1.jpg My sweet lil girl ❤

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I feel ya. Layla still plucks pin feathers and under her wings. When she gets really itchy seeming the vet starts her on a round of yeast medication which seems to relieve it but only for a short time. She seems to be very very sensitive to yeast. I wish I had a permanent answer because the pin feathers at the bottom of the cage breaks my heart too. But Layla saw three vets, tons of testing and the only thing we could find and treat was a mild flare of yeast. :(.

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
@Laylatoo

I will ask my vet about the yeast medication when we go.

I usually give her childrens Zyrtec during the warmer months as she has horrible seasonal allergies (she breaks out in hives, gets itchy and her eyes get really red). I'm going to ask her vet if she thinks it will be ok to start it early and if it will help with her itching.

All we can do is are best, as heartbreaking as it is, atleast Layla and Uchtred have parronts that love them and are trying.
❤:sadhug2: ❤

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If she has sensitive skin be careful about all products. (even to much water) Some can be good but some can also give her allergy.
The only thing I know works with sensitive itchy skin is natural sunlight.