• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

U2 'whine'...what does it mean?

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
I'm curious if anybody can give me any insight?

There are these two U2s at the rescue I go to... I don't work directly with them, but I do hang out with them on breaks. They don't like people in their aviary ... Mated pair that are very territorial... but will gladly chill on the side of the aviary with you. Often they make this noise and I can't tell what it is, or if it's a good noise or a 'you're freaking me out/go away noise'. I think I have heard other cockatoos make it... My RB2 makes a somewhat similar noise when he's wanting attention and I ignore him.

It sorta sounds like a quiet (human)baby cry? A very quiet squeaky whine that goes on only for a few seconds. It could just be a noise they are mimicking ( it probably is) but I'm curious if those with U2s have heard this noise? I've been wondering what the noise is for a while ( I'm actually worried It mean I make them nervous) and I just got home from volunteering ( and they did it once again) so I figured I'd ask!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmm... Can't say that I have. But Echo my U2 doesn't have a wide range of calls so that doesn't really mean any thing. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Once in a great while, Milton will start crying like an infant. The first time he did it- about 4 years ago, we rushed into his room to see if there was anything wrong. He laughed at us. We left the room, and he began the crying again...and again laughed at us when we came in.
We left again, and he began again. This time we stood behind the door where we could see him, but he couldn't see us. Anyway, he cried again, then stopped and tried to look around the door to see if we were coming in.
When he realized we weren't coming, he started to laugh again...

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
It could be a baby sound. (Does it sound like wheeeee/sheeee?)

If so, he's begging or bonding... he wants or is getting some kind of comforting, such as food or physical contact (scritches). We always responded when Rhubarb made her baby sound and reassured her briefly (even just a "You're ok, birdy girl." in a soothing voice.) She stopped doing it by a year old... and started working on her repertoire of squeaks, squawks and chirps for communication.

(During this time he's the most open to learning how to mimic sounds of he's inclined to pick up anything.)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I have a D2 who is a species who is known for whining for the first year or two and then they generally just stop and you never hear it again. Reggie still does it every now and then when he feels really ignored and screaming hasn't gotten what he gets wanted.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking it's an attention grabber they're doing... They seem to do it the longer I'm quiet around them. They are really really quiet birds, strangely quiet for cockatoos. Besides for this noise, I have literally only heard them scream once.

I unfortunately don't know their history... They could actually be mimicking an infant! I think I might ask the staff at the rescue next week about them.

@Tanya - I think my RB2 originally did it as a baby call, but he's over a year now... talks and mimics non stop and I used to mimic it back at him so now I think it's just one of his contact calls haha!

If it's the U2s making a baby sound it would be confusing as i'm pretty certain they are adult 'toos, but I guess it's still a possibility?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Take a video so we can actually hear it.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
Take a video so we can actually hear it.
Good idea, actually sort of an obvious one I never thought of lol.... I'll try to record them next week, not sure how it will come out , they have a lot of birds ... Huge rescue...but I can try! :)

If I can , I'll post it here next week

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
They could be telling you that they don't mind you being next to their aviary eating lunch. but it's rude not to share lunch with them.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
@JLcribber ...unless you meant video of my RB2? Sorry just realized you might have been talking about his noise.

I unfortunately can't record him making the noise... He despises my phone ( which is my only way of taking a video). The second he sees it he goes dead silent and begins aggressively banging and rubbing his beak on me non-stop. I usually don't use it around him unless he's playing ( and thus not paying attention) . I tried filming him, because he had just made the sorta similar noise but then he stopped. It's literally a minute of a not so happy cockatoo lol....

@Shinobi haha! I actually don't eat there- just sit and drink water for a few minutes - cleaning aviaries can be very exhausting :'D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You don't need to capture any video. Just the sound. He doesn't need to see the phone. Keep it behind your back or under your shirt.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Then maybe he asking why you haven't brought a few nibbles for him and his partner.

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
You don't need to capture any video. Just the sound. He doesn't need to see the phone. Keep it behind your back or under your shirt.
I'll try that!
Although I'm not sure how to upload an audio file here. :) I'll figure it out! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm good at missing the easy solutions ! Haha

@Shinobi Perhaps! They seems very happy when I gave them each a pistachio last time :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll try that!
Although I'm not sure how to upload an audio file here. :) I'll figure it out! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm good at missing the easy solutions ! Haha

@Shinobi Perhaps! They seems very happy when I gave them each a pistachio last time :)

One more time. Take a video. It doesn't matter what the camera captures. Black. Inside your shirt. Thumb over the camera. It still captures the audio. Upload the "video".

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
One more time. Take a video. It doesn't matter what the camera captures. Black. Inside your shirt. Thumb over the camera. It still captures the audio. Upload the "video".
Lol, I misunderstood you, sorry about that!!! Sheesh I'm making myself out to be a idiot ;)
I'll do that later today!

birdashes

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ash
alright! recorded Val's noise, it's usually a bit longer. It is at the end of the video, before it ends. Hope this works :) The U2 noise is significantly ... more whiney? But still pretty similar.