• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent U2 Prolapse - warning graphic pics

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jasmine, U2, was egg bound back in November. Vet removed 2 eggs November 29th. She was on antibiotics for 10 days & has seemed fine since. January 4th I noticed a small lump on her lower right abdomen. January 5th a 2nd lump showed up. Called the vet, but couldn't get her in until yesterday. By the time we got her to the vet one lump had gone away, but her abdomen looked a little swollen to me, so I was assuming possibly another egg. So the vet took an x-ray. Nothing. Asked about Lupron shots. Was told their supplier quit making it, but they'd find one & call me. They called & told me the cost would be $600.00 for 3 shots over a 6 week period & no guarentee they'd work for a month, 6 months or maybe not at all. Vet is 50 miles one way. So we passed. She was out of her cage last night dancing on top of the parrot tower, etc.

Fastforward to this evening. My husband let Jasmine out of her cage around 6:00PM. I was getting supper ready. She climbed onto the parrot tower. He says she has something dark on her bottom, you better check. So I go look. OMG! A huge prolapse. Got her in a towel, placed her on my lap, put a medical glove on & slowly got it back in. Took me a good 20 minutes. I'd get some in & then it slid back out. I finally got it all in & it stayed. I told my husband while I'm trying to get it back in that she may not survive. The tissue was all still red, & none of it looked dry at all. Pretty sure it had just happened. She was wrapped in the towel, panting like crazy, but never make a peep. She's one tough bird. She bled some, but once I got it back in there was no more bleeding. I checked her every 15 minutes until 11PM. No bleeding & the prolapse is still in. There are no emergency vets here that see birds & no vets with after hours, not even for dogs or cats. Will call the vet in the morning.

So I've been researching. According to info either sex can prolapse, so egg binding may cause it more often in females, but it's not actually the cause. They don't really know the cause, but assume it's due to straining to poop. Some birds just tend to push harder to poop & it weakens the cloacol wall. Seems as tho putting a stitch in often fails & has to be repeated often. Surgery often fails. Hormone shots don't help with prolapse. All are very expensive & may not last more than 6 months, if that. So what does help??? From what I found ....Diet change to mostly wet foods, less dry foods & more exrecise seems to be the only thing that may help.

This was her prolapse. As you can see it was huge. Warning photos are graphic:

IMG_8940Jasmine.jpg

After I got it back in. She still has blood on her, as I didn't want to stress her trying to wash it off. I did put cold compresses on her for a bit to help reduce the swelling. She has no tail, as she chews it off all the time. She has new tail feathers coming in, but she only lets them grow half way in then off they go.
IMG_8941Jasmine.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwww. Poor baby. Hopefully with diet change, etc you can avoid further problems.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well when dealing with something as drastic as that the odds are better when you stack multiple treatments.

Ask about a depo shot over the lupron. While you can't use it forever it should buy you a year to change other things to aid this. Make her work/exercise. Swings/climbing up ropes can strengthen those muscles. Does she fly? That would aid her. How is her diet? Will she accept you soaking her pellets to add that water?

I had a BG that used to prolapse. He was too old for them to consider the surgery but had I found a vet to stitch him I would have.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh bless her heart. Good on you for staying calm and being able to reduce it back in. Hopefully it will stay and not reprolapse.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow that's so scary! I have no help to offer but I think Sarah's advice seems sound

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I would think she needs antibiotics prophylactic. This tissue is so delicate and prolapse and egg binding often lead to infection. If infection, it travels quickly up internally and can be life threatening.

Reactions: tka

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well when dealing with something as drastic as that the odds are better when you stack multiple treatments.

Ask about a depo shot over the lupron. While you can't use it forever it should buy you a year to change other things to aid this. Make her work/exercise. Swings/climbing up ropes can strengthen those muscles. Does she fly? That would aid her. How is her diet? Will she accept you soaking her pellets to add that water?

I had a BG that used to prolapse. He was too old for them to consider the surgery but had I found a vet to stitch him I would have.
She is 24. She had a depo shot when she was 4 & it turned her into a zombie.

She was already destroying her feathers at age 7 months when I got her. Pretty sure she imprinted on the breeder clipping her. She has chewed her wings & tail off ever since. So she has not flown since I got her. She will wing flap if I hold her up & I've done that many times over the years. When outside in the aviary she climbs around a lot. She dances a lot. Bobbing up/down, flapping her wings. Inside she does the same on the parrot tower.

Diet is pellets. She eats a pellet & takes a drink, eats a pellet, takes a drink. She will also eat them soaked. I feed chop, cooked potatoes, mixed veggies, scrambled egg, banana, apple, melon, some seed mix which is more freeze dried veggies than seed, nutriberries.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She is 24. She had a depo shot when she was 4 & it turned her into a zombie.
Depo-provera is the medication I was referencing. It should not have that effect.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depo-provera is the medication I was referencing. It should not have that effect.
Yes that's the med she had. As I said it turned her into a zombie.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor baby. I hope she'll be okay. Any luck at getting her to a vet today? I know it's not super close for you but on PEARL's website there's a list of Avian vets in the Pittsburgh area. I can PM you with who I use and some other suggestions if needed.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I am so sorry you have to deal with that! So brave. You are doing amazing. I hope it all stabilizes.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby. I hope she'll be okay. Any luck at getting her to a vet today? I know it's not super close for you but on PEARL's website there's a list of Avian vets in the Pittsburgh area. I can PM you with who I use and some other suggestions if needed.
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind if needed.

I called the vet & asked a bunch of questions. Assumed I'd have to put her on meds. for infection, pain, etc. Nope. Vet said it's best to not use meds unless there is serious need. She said I did good getting it back in right away. I sent her the photos & she said you could see it wasn't dry at all & must have just happened when we saw it. She's not had any bleeding & has pooped. Vet suggested I give her liquid calcium daily via syringe, as she isn't getting enough from her food. Jasmine has always been a dainty eater & thin. Offer more wet foods. Let her in cage for a few days to calm & rest. Vet said no shower for now, so the blood will remain on her feathers for a few more days. Later offer more exercise, like wing flapping exercises daily, since she has no real wing feathers & can't fly. If this happens again then we'll do vent stitches & see if that helps. Vet is hoping it won't & assumed this happened because she was recently egg bound with 2 eggs. Jasmine isn't 100%, but close. She's back to chewing her cage cover, hanging on the side of the cage & bouncing up & down.

I've done some research. They don't know why this happens, but males prolapse almost as much as females. It's suggested they may not be drinking enough water, pressing too hard when they poop, not getting enough calcium, etc., from their food. Just like us they can eat a healthy diet, but still have health issues.

So I'm keeping fingers crossed this doesn't happen again.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This talks different types of prolapse and their appearance. The cloacal type is generally more smooth and balloon like . With ridges I worry more rectal, edit , or more than just cloacal..You observed in person, and I link for bettering our understand as a community.. and I worry about this situation

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
How is Jasmine? Everything resolved ok, no other treatment needed?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Jasmine? Everything resolved ok, no other treatment needed?
Thanks for asking. Jasmine is doing OK. No prolapse since I put her on liquid calcium 5 days a week. No eggs. She will still try to nest build tho. She pulls her cage cover thru the bars in the bottom corners & chews it. We're giving more light, less time covered, more out of cage time. So we're keeping fingers crossed.