• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Hi, Minty never let's me rub his head anymore. But he loves showing off to me and all that budgie jazz. Will he ever be that close to me? I know I've posted about this kinda thing before. Don't get me wrong he is bonded to me and loves hanging out with me, but is he getting what he needs? Would another budgie friend be what he wants? If I was to get another male which was tame as well and bond with him, would me and Minty still have the same relationship? Would he still talk like he does? Would they both be talkers? I don't want to rush into something I may regret. I need someone to smack some sense into me... Or just some friendly opinions. :shy:

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
Well in my own experience, getting another budgie for another never really strengthen my relationship with the first budgie, if any of that made any sense. What happened is that the first budgie started to ignore me once I got him a buddy. I guess he bonded with his friend more than me. But that's just my experience.

Every bird is different. Some will love stitches while others don't. Minty might be one of those birdies who don't seem to like getting scratches no more. He sounds perfectly happy with you but it's just a matter that he no longer likes stritches.

Like I said this is my own experience and opinion. I hope some others could pitch in and share.

:heart::heart::birdance::birdance::heart::heart:
sorry I love the dancing parrot smiley!!

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got my budgie Pip a buddy (Sky) and the difference was amazing. He was so much happier. They instantly became friends. They played together, ate together, groomed each other, chased each other. I loved watching them. I couldnt believe the difference in his behavior. I felt awful that I had for deprived him of companionship that I, as a human, could never have provided. Sadly, Pip died recently and I am once again down to one budgie (sky). I am actively trying to find one to to keep Sky company. It looks like I will bringing one home tomorrow. So, to recap, I strongly recommend a friend for you parakeet. They are flock birds and I believe they have a strong drive to be with their own kind. Pip's happiness was more important to me than my own wish to bond with him. Also, I will say that Pip, who was not tame and found outside, did become somewhat tame after I bought Sky.

BirdLover_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carter
Some people get a fake budge and put it in the cage with them.

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
I believe they should be kept in multiples. They are very social. My Fred has gone through the addition of 5 budgies. While he definitely loves his budgie buddies, he still loves his mom. Just make sure you keep spending time with Minty and the possible new birdy!