• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two scared cockatiels,

Kathy beard

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Hi, I have 2 cockatiels that I bought from pet shop, am pretty sure they are both female, have had them for about three weeks and they are still scared to death of everything, have tryed to feed them millet seed but they won't have that, I believe they are both adult birds, would love to be able to interact with them , how do I start, the pic of them are on my profile pic, any help would be appreciated

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Patience's!!!!!! I know we all just want to love our pets & want them to love us back. Animals aren't near as trusting as humans. Give them time...talk to them alot as you are walking by, have a short conversation w/them through out the day...let them get comfortable with you. TRUST takes TIME. and oh any time you have two in a cage they have each other for company for its alittle harder to bond but can be done, I have 4 in a cage.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. It takes some birds longer to adjust than others. Where do you have their cage? Tiels do better if a cage is against a wall and not in a middle of the room. If they're still really scared you can try covering three sides of their cage and just leave the front open so they don't have to be on "alert" from all sides. Do you play any music or have a TV on for them? Silence often means danger in the wild. So some soft sounds might be helpful for them. Also, spend time sitting with them and just talking to them. As silly as it sounds, I would even sit and read magazine articles to my tiel just to have something to say and get him used to my presence and voice. Are they eating and drinking okay?

Kathy beard

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Yes they eat and drink fine, right now I have their cage in front of a window, should I move them to another place?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes they eat and drink fine, right now I have their cage in front of a window, should I move them to another place?
I might for now. A lot of times birds do like to look out the window. But since they're still scared, they might feel more secure if they weren't. Then once they adjust you can decide to move it back or not.