• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two questions regarding my lovebird

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
First one is a behavioral question. When I scratch her head, Nana will sort of flop down and hold her own face/head. Is this normal? She's not hurting herself, I've just never seen a bird do this?

Secondly; I've been thinking of changing her name now that she's settled in to our home. Do you think it would be detrimental to her mental health? It's just kind of awkward for me to call her Nana, when I just lost mine not too long ago.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not too sure what you're describing. Is it possible to get a picture?

Changing her time won't hurt her. She'll come to associate it with herself soon enough.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Not too sure what you're describing. Is it possible to get a picture?

Changing her time won't hurt her. She'll come to associate it with herself soon enough.
Okay, that's good to hear, regarding the name at least.

I'll try to get a picture of it the next time she wants scratches. Basically, she'll land on me and if I pet her head, she lays down on her side and curls up with her chin or cheek tucked into her chest so she can hold it with her foot, sort of in a semi-fetal position. It doesn't look like she's in pain, but I've really never seen a bird do anything like it.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It does sound strange, but birds do have some pretty unique and strange habits. Probably just her way of showing she's enjoying it?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Is she helping scritch herself? When I scritch Blu sometimes he rubs his own cheek/ear area with his foot.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Okay, that's good to hear, regarding the name at least.

I'll try to get a picture of it the next time she wants scratches. Basically, she'll land on me and if I pet her head, she lays down on her side and curls up with her chin or cheek tucked into her chest so she can hold it with her foot, sort of in a semi-fetal position. It doesn't look like she's in pain, but I've really never seen a bird do anything like it.
Dexter, my umbrella cockatoo, holds his face when receiving neck scratches at times. Is this what your bird does:
(Not my pic, I took it off the web as an example)

I understand that she might "flop over" more, but as far as the foot goes, is this accurate? Dexter grabs his head with his whole foot, not just the toes (as this bird does)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Is she helping scritch herself? When I scritch Blu sometimes he rubs his own cheek/ear area with his foot.
I haven't seen her scratch herself, just hold her own chin/cheek. Sometimes, she moves her head, but just goes back to holding it.

Dexter, my umbrella cockatoo, holds his face when receiving neck scratches at times. Is this what your bird does:
(Not my pic, I took it off the web as an example)

I understand that she might "flop over" more, but as far as the foot goes, is this accurate? Dexter grabs his head with his whole foot, not just the toes (as this bird does)
Yeah, it's quite similar to that! Only she doesn't stand while doing it and doesn't always grab under her jaw. Sometimes, it's her jaw, other times, it's most of her face or the top of her head.
She literally lays down and flops onto her side with her other foot tucked into her stomach fluff.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I haven't seen her scratch herself, just hold her own chin/cheek. Sometimes, she moves her head, but just goes back to holding it.

Yeah, it's quite similar to that! Only she doesn't stand while doing it and doesn't always grab under her jaw. Sometimes, it's her jaw, other times, it's most of her face or the top of her head.
She literally lays down and flops onto her side with her other foot tucked into her stomach fluff.
Oops! Dexter doesn't actually give himself neck scratches either. That's just what I call it, lol. Dexter also grabs in different spots as well. He's started using it as a cue to get me to continue scratching. I wouldn't be concerned.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oops! Dexter doesn't actually give himself neck scratches either. That's just what I call it, lol. Dexter also grabs in different spots as well. He's started using it as a cue to get me to continue scratching. I wouldn't be concerned.
Aww, Dexter sounds like an adorable little guy. ;v; Thanks for letting me know that it's nothing I have to be worried about!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Termite would do something similar when my ex would give him scritches.

73694565-A5D1-47B9-ACC2-1D62096AA6E5.jpeg

And weird stretching poses:

5DC021DD-31CF-42B3-8C3A-F6D9CBE07B30.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh how funny @fluffypoptarts ! You guys have interesting birds on this thread! All mine do is a regal neck bow that means the servant (me) must obey. NOW.
It was hilarious, and so cute! I’m glad I still have them. :) Twinkie will do the regal head bow! :D Tiny tyrants are so adorable, aren’t they?