• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Two lost toenails?

Becky&Trico

Checking out the neighborhood
My little parakeet, Becky, has lost two front toe nails. She did bleed. I'm not sure how or why the toe nails came off, but is it threatening? I'm extremely concerned for my budgie.

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Did the bleeding stop? Could another bird have harmed her, or could she have become caught in something in her cage? It's important you stop the bleeding, and I would take her to the vet. Make sure the wounds are clean, you don't want her to get an infection.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
has the bleeding stopped? from your picture the toenails are there but looks like they got cut or snapped off into blood vein.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
VETERENARIAN NEEDED! IMMEDIATELY!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To repeat what others have asked, "Has the bleeding stopped?"
I use Kwik Stop to stop bleeding but cornstarch is another good thing to use.
When you can't get the bleeding to stop then you need to get your bird to the vet.
Hope your budgie is OK. Please let us know how she is doing. Check the cage to see if there is anything she could have gotten her nails caught in.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Her left foot looks a little swollen to me. Hopefully you got the bleeding stopped, you can use cayenne pepper paste on those toes for a couple days, it's a natural antiseptic. I would call the vet just for peace of mind..Find whatever she got caught in and remove it immediately. Hope she's OK.

Becky&Trico

Checking out the neighborhood
Update on it: all bleeding is stopped. No other bird was in the room, but her toe nail just came off with no pain. She seems to be alright now. I cleaned the wounds, and I've checked the cage and nothing could have harmed her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that all is well with her. There has to be something that caused that unless she did it to herself??

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It kind of looks like just the tips of her claws broke and her toes aren't actually injured?
Injured claws usually don't need treatment other than cornstarch to stop the bleeding if needed. I'm glad she's ok. It's the kind of injury that might happen if she was perched on a door that got closed (so her claws got hit), or possibly if she got her claws caught in a frayed rope or fabric toy and struggled to free herself.

Lorene Farrell

Moving in
Real Name
Lorene Farrell
My Lovebird Yoshi's nail came out. Got stuck in the rug. Took him to vet. Doc gave him pain killer and antibiotics in syringes. I hope you took your baby to vet. Feel better little guy!