• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two is better then one?

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Every now and then I get the hankering to get another lovebird for Birdy. What stops me is if they will hate each other or love each other over me. But I just found this on YouTube.

Could this be a possibility for me? It's so dang cute!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There is really no way to tell if your current bird would get along with another. There would be a period of quarantine where they may hear each other. Is your bird male or female?

Milestone

There is really no way to tell if your current bird would get along with another. There would be a period of quarantine where they may hear each other. Is your bird male or female?
Male, he's also 1 year and 4 months old. The other would be male too.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No way to tell if they would get along, so you'd have to be prepared for that.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Males have a better chance at getting along. Females are the vicious territorial ones.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Too cute! :heart:

I got a second lovebird when mine was slightly older than yours. While they're friends now and have even moved in together, it took many months to get my first to tolerate the second; Gem, my first lovebird, is rather bonded to me and was hesitant about having another bird follow her around literally everywhere. If you do get a new lovebird, remember to take things really slowly with introducing the two. Also, this might just be my case, but keep in mind that it will probably be quite a bit harder to tame a new bird once they've chosen to be friends with their own kind.

Milestone

Too cute! :heart:

I got a second lovebird when mine was slightly older than yours. While they're friends now and have even moved in together, it took many months to get my first to tolerate the second; Gem, my first lovebird, is rather bonded to me and was hesitant about having another bird follow her around literally everywhere. If you do get a new lovebird, remember to take things really slowly with introducing the two. Also, this might just be my case, but keep in mind that it will probably be quite a bit harder to tame a new bird once they've chosen to be friends with their own kind.

So does Gem alow you to rub or cuddle her even with your other lovebird caged with her?

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn

So does Gem alow you to rub or cuddle her even with your other lovebird caged with her?
As much as she always has - she's never been overly fond of being pet unless she's just taken a bath and that hasn't really changed since Panda's arrival. Overall, her interactions with me have not been different - She's still quite clingy and essentially needs to be sitting on me most of the time that I have them out. :heart:

Milestone

Thankyou @JaclynBin

There is quite the glut of lovebirds here so I can take my time on picking a suitable lovie and time. :) How much time do you devote to both of them ( one on one time)?

JaclynBin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Thankyou @JaclynBin

There is quite the glut of lovebirds here so I can take my time on picking a suitable lovie and time. :) How much time do you devote to both of them ( one on one time)?
They spend their out time together and get about 2 hours on a weekday, and as much time as I can muster on the weekend. I don't like to keep them isolated from each other anymore as it usually stresses Panda out a bit. They're free to fly around and play on their tree stand, or hang on doors, canvases and the ceiling fan, but mostly Gem sits on my shoulder and begs for kisses or tries to climb in my shirt and Panda goes through cycles where he will venture out for a few minutes before landing on my head and rappelling himself down to my shoulder to preen my hair, Gem or himself.

If you do get a second and they're hand raised / comfortable with people already, you might have enough luck and time to bond with it before your birds potentially become attached - which is something I didn't get the chance to do with Panda.