1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Twisted feather???

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Garet, 4/24/18.

1. Garet

Garet Rollerblading along the road

Garet
    I swear, if it's not one thing, it's the other. It doesn't appear to be a blood feather, and he's having no issues flying. He doesn't even fuss with it. Still worried about my pretty cupcake boy. Should I pull it? Let him deal with it on his own????

He eats pellets, the dried fruit and veg that comes in his mix, birdie pasta, and seeds. He's only ever had access to egg bread, we don't eat white in this house and I give it to them very sparingly. IE: one small piece once a month.

None of the others grabbed him, I was with him all day. He was behind a family picture napping and came out like that. There's nothing behind it but wall, and no hook or nail. I just have it sitting there at an angle with the wall for support and he likes to nap there.

Attached Files:

Tiel Feathers and Hjarta5 like this.
  2. Cat The Great

Cat The Great Meeting neighbors

Caitlyn
    As long the feather isn't bothering him and doesn't start bleeding, I would just leave it alone. Hope this helps and BTW he is very handsome lovebird.

3. Garet

Garet
    Thanks for the advice! And the birdie compliment. He's my handsome littlest guy.

I haven't noticed any bleeding at all, but I'll try to keep an eye on it just in case.

TikiMyn likes this.
  4. TikiMyn

TikiMyn Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Tailgating Party!

Robin
    Perhaps it is going to molt soon? I would leave it be as well as long as it isn’t bothering him:)

Sarahmoluccan and Garet like this.
  5. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    Ah the twisted feather. Leave it be it's one that's probably on it's way out. Drives me crazy to see them but I leave my Zons alone and they fall out or go back into place before they fall out.

You are a great parront to ask Garet! :cool:

Tiel Feathers, Garet and TikiMyn like this.
  6. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

laurie
    Leave it be Sweet Pea gets them all the time. She rights them herself.

Sarahmoluccan, Garet and TikiMyn like this.
  7. Hjarta5

Hjarta5 Jogging around the block Tailgating Party!

Jennifer
    Is that Geralt? He is such a cutie and looks like hes doing well :xflove:

Sounds like it's ok to leave it alone as it's not bothering him and not bleeding. But in case something goes wrong, do you have the supplies on hand to stop a blood feather? I feel like someone recently posted about an episode in the Emergency/Urgent thread -- it was helpful to read about broken blood feathers! Edit: here's the link Urgent - Not urgent... Emergency averted... | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Lady Jane and TikiMyn like this.
  8. Garet

Garet
    Yup, it's him! He's the world's biggest troublemaker now. I wish I had gotten a picture of it, but I briefly turned on the lights to find him, and all I saw was his little face peeking out from behind the picture frame watching me with this mischievous look in his eye.

I have needle nose tweezers and three or four containers of corn starch. People kept forgetting we had some and just bought more of it when they wanted me to cook something that called for gravy.

Tiel Feathers, TikiMyn and Hjarta5 like this.
  9. Garet

Garet
    @Hjarta5 thanks for reminding me about the corn starch, BTW. His cagemate decided to taunt one of my girls and got his foot nipped. It's a small injury, but the starch worked like a charm.

Last edited: 4/27/18
    Hjarta5 likes this.
  10. Hjarta5

Hjarta5 Jogging around the block Tailgating Party!

Jennifer

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)