• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Turquoisine Parrakeet

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi, I have just found this group and thought maybe I could get some feedback about my bird. Birdie (original, hey?) is my first bird. I was going to find myself a Parrotlet as I had heard they would be good companions, but I fell in love with this beautiful Turquoisine Parrakeet. The pet store said she would be a good pet for what I wanted - one bird to bond with as I am home enough for just one bird to not get lonely. She is a shy little bird and she prefers to stay in her cage even though the door is always open. When I take her out she will usually go back into her cage. I didn't know anything about this type of bird when I got her and it has been hard to find much info online, but I have learned that this bird is not the best for a pet like I have her as but would be good for an aviary. I want to make her happy and content somehow even though I have her in the wrong situation. I think she might be an older bird from what I have recently heard - her nails are quite long and her feet are a bit 'scaly' looking. Is there any way I can slowly get her to interact with me a bit more?

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Her feet look fine in the pictures that you posted. Do you have any closer pictures? I am not sure why the pet store owner said that, but usually grass parrots are better suited for aviaries. Most tend to shy away for people as they get older. To try and form a bond I would take her favorite snack and hold it back. Only give her some when she is out with you. She will eventually see that being with you will get her her favorite food.

Matt

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi Matt,
Yes, I think her feet are fine, it is just that I recently read that that is how to tell if a bird is older - their feet look sort of 'scaly'. I was actually about to try doing what you suggest with her favorite foods, but then she started molting and so I wanted her to have everything she needs and I have not pushed her too much to stay out of her cage. I think she is fairly happy - she preens, grinds her beak, chirps in the morning and a few times in the day, but I worry that she is bored. She will sit in the same spot for hours in her cage. Thank you for your reply, it is very much appreciated! I should wait until she finishes molting before I try the keeping back of foods for now, right? Molting birds need extra tlc?
Brenda

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
She is, isn't she Alyssa?? :)

Matt, here is a close up of her foot...

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have never heard of being able to tell age by feet. @CheekyBeaks might be able to share some information about grass parrots.

Matt

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
As far as I'm aware I don't think there is anyway to determine age by the feet.
Small grass parrots are generally not considered to make good pets, there are some exceptions I think Bourkes can make nice pets but a majority of the species don't and really are better suited living with their own kind in an aviary, these can also be kept in peaceful mixed species aviaries from what I understand.
@Stormcloud may be able to help more as he has small grass parrots

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi CheekyBeaks, thanks for your input. I know by what I have read now that this little birdie would be so much happier in an aviary, but unfortunately I didn't know that when I bought her. The pet store employees didn't seem to know anything about this species. But I thought she was so pretty and sweet so I brought her home. Now I am doing the best I can to make her a happy little Birdie. :xflove:

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Hi CheekyBeaks, thanks for your input. I know by what I have read now that this little birdie would be so much happier in an aviary, but unfortunately I didn't know that when I bought her. The pet store employees didn't seem to know anything about this species. But I thought she was so pretty and sweet so I brought her home. Now I am doing the best I can to make her a happy little Birdie. :xflove:
I've heard of them becoming loving pets! Was she hand raised?

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
You never know she could become a great companion to you :) Many birds are nervous in the beginning so I'd give her some time to come around.

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
She is a Red-Fronted mutation of the the Turquoisine Parrot. If you wish to tame her then you will need to keep her in a relatively small cage to begin with. Your training will need to be assertive without being pushy, if that makes sense. Waiting for an untamed grass parrot to come to you won't work. Once you've got her tame then I'd look to buy a cage 36" wide and put newspaper on the grill as they like to run around the bottom. I would also put her food at the bottom of the cage, but in a position she won't poop in it from above. Regarding her overgrown claws, I would ditch the the rope perches and replace them with natural hardwood ones around 13-20mm diameter. Many of our vendors such as T4W, MSBS, TNT and Crytalsbirdtoys all carry them at very good prices.

She will come out of her cage more as she becomes more accustomed to her new environment and begins to feel more secure. Make sure you put a small bowl of chopped or grated veggies in her cage along with her food and water every day. Forgot to add that this little one won't leave you with perforated eardrums and living proof that there are such things as quiet parrots.:)

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I've heard of them becoming loving pets! Was she hand raised?
I don't know anything about her life before I got her. She is a sweetheart though!
She is a Red-Fronted mutation of the the Turquoisine Parrot. If you wish to tame her then you will need to keep her in a relatively small cage to begin with. Your training will need to be assertive without being pushy, if that makes sense. Waiting for an untamed grass parrot to come to you won't work. Once you've got her tame then I'd look to buy a cage 36" wide and put newspaper on the grill as they like to run around the bottom. I would also put her food at the bottom of the cage, but in a position she won't poop in it from above. Regarding her overgrown claws, I would ditch the the rope perches and replace them with natural hardwood ones around 13-20mm diameter. Many of our vendors such as T4W, MSBS, TNT and Crytalsbirdtoys all carry them at very good prices.

She will come out of her cage more as she becomes more accustomed to her new environment and begins to feel more secure. Make sure you put a small bowl of chopped or grated veggies in her cage along with her food and water every day. Forgot to add that this little one won't leave you with perforated eardrums and living proof that there are such things as quiet parrots.:)
Thank you, Stormcloud for all the information! I have had her for three months now, and right away I bought the biggest cage the store had...but it is high and not long. I will have to start over in the cage department!

She does go on my finger now, and she will let me touch my nose to her beak for a playful little nudge.

I will take all of your suggestions seriously - thank you again!

Cyreen

What a sweet little bird! It sounds like you're already doing very well with her.

Brendajean71

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Cyreen! What part of Alberta are you in? I am in Edmonton. :D