• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Turning my filter into a sponge filter?

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I had an overcrowded fish tank a while ago, and I really didn't want it to be like that but I had no choice. It had an albino goldfish, a calico goldfish, 2 female and male gold gouramis, and 4 baby angelfish. OVERCROWDED.

anyways... They all inevitably died. So I want to get a betta fish, but I've read that too much flow is unhealthy for a betta fish's long fins, so I want to turn my filter into a sponge filter. I don't know what type of filter I have, but, in short, there's a long tube with bars in the tank that sucks up water, into another thin tube that has holes on the bottom to drop the water into a square tunnel, which has floss, which chemically and physically filters the water which is then dropped down, making a sort of circular motion in the tank. I was going to just put a sponge in the pipe that sucks water, but that won't solve the issue with the water falling down below. I've tried getting the water to fall weaker, but that overflows the floss up on the top.

Should I just get a new filter? Or are there some inventive engineers out there willing to help?

Revelth

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Claudia
Is it possible you could attach a picture?

maybe attatch a prefilter sponge and than point that outake filter towards an aquarium wall?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
What I do for my betta is take a plastic waterbottle, cut off the top and ends (so you have a cylinder) and cut a slit down the middle. Put that on your output, and it should baffle the output enough so it's not too much for the betta. Then you don't even need a new filter!

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Interesting.. But I already took apart my filter and got everything covered. Thanks for caring tho!