• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Turmeric

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperdragon

Rollerblading along the road
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here gives their birds turmeric.
A friend of a friend that I talked to a while back has 21 cockatiels and one of them developed a cancerous tumor. The tiel was so old that her vet was afraid to use traditional treatments, so after removing as much of the tumor as was safe (apparently part was so close to the spine that they couldn't touch it) he had her start putting curcumin powder (which is derived from turmeric) on the bird's back. After a few months she said the bird had completely recovered with no trace of the cancer, the bit of tumor that the vet couldn't operate on was gone!

After talking to her and reading up on on studies being done I started eating turmeric in any meal I could use it in. Now it's got me thinking, when I get my budgie, would it help to sprinkle a small amount on its veggies, like maybe once a week?

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Turmeric. This common spice helps regenerate liver cells and cleanses the liver of toxins. Turmeric increases the production of bile and is a potent anti-inflammatory. Turmeric increases levels of two liver-supporting enzymes: glutathione-s-transferase (GST) and UDP glucuronyl transferase (UDPGT).
This info is taken from:
HolisticBird and HolisticBirds
It's an article on Fatty liver Disease and what you can do to help your birds who have it/ and to keep them from getting it....
It's a good read with LOTS of good healthy food ideas and why they are needed in your birds diets!:hug8:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for that information BF it was a great read.Turmeric is one spice I use in hiram's birdy bread.:hug8:

paperdragon

Good article! Looks like my future bird is going to have a diet a lot like mine... minus the excessive amounts of sugar and salt. lol

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Yep why not? Do you know that oregano helps/cures giardia? See www.avianweb.com/giardia And that cayenne pepper is blood clotter for wounds, has antibiotic properties and has a useful amount of vits and minerals? Sounds like a nice vego curry might be a life saver!

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
jut got this for my birds. Have a lovebird that has been hurt and I thought I would try it with her. Also find a way to give it to Gizmo.

BirdyBooty

Walking the driveway
Turmeric is also a good digestive aid :)
I'm not positive, but I think I started giving it with some of my birds meals after reading "What Happened To My Peanuts" by by Gudrun Maybaum
Lots of great info about herbs & spices in that book :)

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Tumeric also acts like an anti-coagulant, so I would avoid using it when a bird is molting, or has a problem with broken blood feathers.

It has excellent anti-inflamatory prperties, and is a good supplement when a bird has pain such as from gout.

It is a great antioxident and can act as a natual source of presservative in foods like birdy breads. Tbe antioxidants also reduce free radicals in the body.

It also helps to alleviate nausea, such as a baby that has crop problems and is vomitting back up food. Ginger is also good for this too.

If tumeric is applied to the skin ..such when there is an injury, in combination with exposure to sunlight or full-spectrum light it can have strong antibacterial properties.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Wow - this is great information! Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.