• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Turbo is sick again..

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Hello AA.
I'm sad to say that turbo is sick... Again.
I can't seem to see whats wrong with him.
We have an appointment with the vet later today.

His droppings seem okay, but very small.
he eats a little bit from my hand but his behavior has changed alot!
He's so quiet, submissive and wants to sleep alot.
I'm so sad, any one know what to do?
I want to keep him okay untill the vent appointment.
right now tubo is picking a bit at a piece of apple.
he's not eating much of it tho.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry he's sick again. Try to keep him warm. Typically tiels don't eat fruit. Will he eat a little millet spray? Or maybe some oatmeal or something soft?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Also you might try feeding him warm scrambled eggs. All birds seem to love scrambled eggs and it will provide him with much beef protein and calories.

He’s probably sleeping a lot because he hasn’t been eating. Have you weighed him?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I hope everything goes well at the vet!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Turbo will be okay!

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
I'm sorry he's sick again. Try to keep him warm. Typically tiels don't eat fruit. Will he eat a little millet spray? Or maybe some oatmeal or something soft?
Soft food is a no go as well, he's eating today and millet seem to be preferred.
I have turned on the heater in the apartment so he can keep a bit warm.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Also you might try feeding him warm scrambled eggs. All birds seem to love scrambled eggs and it will provide him with much beef protein and calories.

He’s probably sleeping a lot because he hasn’t been eating. Have you weighed him?
Yes I have, he has lost a few grams, yet not too alarming!
He has an infection in his guts again and therefore when it comes out as droppings it hurts.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Turbo has been to the vet, he got antibiotics and is gong back for another shot today, as well as the rest of the week!
His droppings seem better today, yet it's worrying.
When the vet checked his temperature, it was discovered there was blood alongside the droppings.
Today he's better, but we will contenuine the treatment just to be on the safe side.

I don't understand, what is causing these infections?
He isn't very old, I would guess a little over a year.
Dusty isn't having the same problems, so what is making Turbo prone to these gut infections?

I'm feeding him the correct diet, he gets pellets mixed with seeds as well as fresh water and some things like apple slices everyday.
Turbo isn't even picking out sunflower seeds etc, he's more or less onlyeating the pellets since he really likes them.

:(

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry to hear your bird is sick :(

I hope he gets better soon.
:sadhug2:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
While you have the chance talk with the vet about probiotics. Seems to me he has nothing in his gut to fight the baddies, especially after antibiotics.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
While you have the chance talk with the vet about probiotics. Seems to me he has nothing in his gut to fight the baddies, especially after antibiotics.
I'll ask him about it later.
we are going back for another shot today.

Kodigirl210

Hopefully he mends quickly. Unfortunately sometimes it’s just the luck of the draw. Some birbs just end up being a little more prone to illness just like some people. Unfortunately it’s not like we can judge by the outside how well things work on the inside.

I also totally agree with @Ripshod - if he’s put through a lot of antibiotics he will not have anything left in his gut. That could lead to him not digesting his food or digesting it properly and then once again he’s at risk for losing weight, getting sick and so forth. Just keep an eye on his poop until you get some probiotics. If there are issues the food will start passing through only partially or maybe not digested at all.

Overall though, I truly hope he’s on his way up. He deserves a break :)

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Hopefully he mends quickly. Unfortunately sometimes it’s just the luck of the draw. Some birbs just end up being a little more prone to illness just like some people. Unfortunately it’s not like we can judge by the outside how well things work on the inside.

I also totally agree with @Ripshod - if he’s put through a lot of antibiotics he will not have anything left in his gut. That could lead to him not digesting his food or digesting it properly and then once again he’s at risk for losing weight, getting sick and so forth. Just keep an eye on his poop until you get some probiotics. If there are issues the food will start passing through only partially or maybe not digested at all.

Overall though, I truly hope he’s on his way up. He deserves a break :)

He has become much better today, he's been singing and jumping around.
My partner asked the vet about probiotics yesterday and he agreed that it would be the best option after the treatments.
He is going to get another shot today and tomorrow, after that we will be giving him probiotics.

His food is digesting, yet the droppings isnt regular coloured just yet.. But it seems to be going the right way.

Kodigirl210

I would think the droppings will be off until the medication runs its course and the probiotics get to work. It’s one of the reasons most of us hate the thought of them. It seems like they make the poor birbs as much sick as they are healthy. Glad to hear things are getting back to normal and Turbo is getting back to his perky self. Hopefully it’s all downhill from here. Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery! :D

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
I would think the droppings will be off until the medication runs its course and the probiotics get to work. It’s one of the reasons most of us hate the thought of them. It seems like they make the poor birbs as much sick as they are healthy. Glad to hear things are getting back to normal and Turbo is getting back to his perky self. Hopefully it’s all downhill from here. Best wishes for a continued speedy recovery! :D
Thank you!
I have kept an eye on him the past days since my last reply to this thread, he's doing better and is now back at whistling and being a troublemaker ;)

Antibiotics are such a stressful thing for birds and honestly I wish it could be avoided sometimes!
But in order to take care and keep our feathered companions around, it's nessecary :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am glad Turbo is on the mend. Feel better little dude! :swoon: