• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tunnel out

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Thats amazing! You are very inspiring with your handy work. Can't wait to see your birds using it!
Thanks, I hope you are right and others will try it too. I want pictures!! :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I love the portholes, definitely weatherproof. Inspiring :D
Thanks! they are not originals so not sure how waterproof, but the outside one is protected by the cage so it should work. Still waiting for small budgies to venture closer and find the millet inside though...

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It really is awesome! Good job, I hope they love it:dance4:
Thanks, it seems like they decided to sleep outside tonight :camping: they didn't want to climb in the bus, and since we FINALLY have a mild weather and Nova is old enough :pillowfight: they are allowed. :xflove:
Just went out to give them a wet lettuce and kiss them good night :heart2:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Merlin and Nova have been using their tunnel for some days now, after a couple of days being very scared when I took them there with the bus, Nova took her courage in both... feet.. and dared go in and through. Merlin could see I wanted something new from him but he couldn't figure out what it was, so it was nice that Nova showed the way.
It is easier for them to go from inside to outside, they feel and smell both the fresh air and the light. The other way around is still difficult, but since Merlin doesn't always want to come inside when it is time, these last couple of days I've taken only Nova inside while Merlin stayed outside. Then they could call each other, so when Merlin finally climbed into the bus and I flushed it against the tunnel from outside he finally got it and went through.
As the days go by, he is less and less afraid, and this morning went quite fast, so I expect them to get the point any time soon with my help/the bus, and hopefully they'll start investigating by themselves at some point, maybe when Summer is over and they want to come inside to get some warm!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
So cute that she was brave and rallied him :)

I remember you saying how he was always trying to get her in the bus, so will be great when she can come in and he can stay out if he wants! :D

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Also, I love how you can see them from inside so it’s easier for you to keep an eye on them. This was such a good idea, I’m glad it’s working out for you!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So cute that she was brave and rallied him :)

I remember you saying how he was always trying to get her in the bus, so will be great when she can come in and he can stay out if he wants! :D
:laugh: sounds like he could go to the pub too :rofl: Nova is always the one trying new things, Merlin is such a routine guy!! But he knows me better so he understands I'm not just inventing new things in order to scare them!

I can't really see them from inside, the hole is only 10 cm wide so not much of a view, and I placed it as high as possible so it is a half meter over my head when I sit on the couch, but one day I expect one of them to climb in there on their own and fly over my head!! :lol:

BTW your new avatar is very cool! :heart:

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Now that you mention it, It does sound like I said he’s “sending his woman home to stay out” :roflmao: I got a visual of Merlin at the pub drinking a budgie beer now lol

Thanks! Did you see the thread by a new member the other day titled “free bird doodles”? She made this for me and a bunch of others- you can get one of ur babies!! I LOVE it! Sent it to my whole family, you know since they all call me the crazy bird lady already I figured why not!?!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I got a visual of Merlin at the pub drinking a budgie beer now lol
:patrelax::laughing6:

Thanks! Did you see the thread by a new member the other day titled “free bird doodles”? She made this for me and a bunch of others- you can get one of ur babies!! I LOVE it! Sent it to my whole family, you know since they all call me the crazy bird lady already I figured why not!?!
:scared2: NO!?? Where?? :excited3:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When I came home yesterday evening, my youngest son had been there (he is at his father this week but drops in after school almost every day) and put the animals outside. The guinea pigs were in the garden, Pichu on the balcony, and the budgies... in their cage inside. The balcony door was wide open, it was freezing cold (8C/46F). I took Pichu inside, closed the door and noticed the little side door of the budgies standing open... Merlin was in there but Nova..?! She was on the playstand above the cage. She could have escaped through the balcony door!! :scared3:
So of course when I saw my son today, I told him that it was nice he had taken care of the animals BUT... he couldn't leave the door of the balcony AND of the budgie's cage open!! He couldn't make sense of it. He had not left the budgies in their cage inside, but OUTSIDE... They were outside when he left, which means... :starshower:THEY DID IT!!! THEY USED THE TUNNEL AND CAME IN ON THEIR OWN!!!! :starshower1:

Finally!! Since 07/17 the tunnel is there and we have been training. They were very reluctant at first but lately they went a little easier through it when I put the bus against it, always easier to go out than to come in. So this is a HUGE step, they came inside by themselves, probably because they were cold and hungry. Good job!! :highfive:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
:starshower:THEY DID IT!!! THEY USED THE TUNNEL AND CAME IN ON THEIR OWN!!!! :starshower1:

I think we should ALL throw a huge party now... let me say I SO can relate to months long waiting for budgies to .... (pick one)
eat a new food
play with a new toy
accept new decor
step on anything they have not stepped on before 100 times
OR
GET IN my travel cage or @Gribouille tunnel!!! :rofl::laughing12::rofl:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think we should ALL throw a huge party now... let me say I SO can relate to months long waiting for budgies to .... (pick one)
eat a new food
play with a new toy
accept new decor
step on anything they have not stepped on before 100 times
OR
GET IN my travel cage or @Gribouille tunnel!!! :rofl::laughing12::rofl:
yep, you are so right!! Budgies are such chickens! I found myself peeling away all the toys they have decided were scary and of course, never ever approached, so now without the toys they have twice as much place, not because the toys took much room, but because the security perimeter around them took much room... :wacky:
As for the travel cage... Pfff... I bought a nice, large, toy one for Pichu, he doesn't like it, probably because is it too enclosed, he prefers the other one but it opens on the top so he doesn't like to have to jump down. So basically I have 2 travel cages and can't use either... :shifty: