• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

tumeric for birds?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Has anyone used or heard of using tumeric for inflammation in birds? Especially in a liquid form you would buy or make a suspension? (I don't think sprinkling stuff on foods can provide enough of the agent)

My 40+ year old BCC is on digitalis and so cannot use meloxicam or celebrex because of drug interactions.

He is having some leg/foot problems that may be due to arthritis. (xray out for second opinions).
A trial of tramadol gave only very slight improvement but that is for pain and not inflammation so possibly wouldn't be getting to the root of the problem. (another potential cause is a tumor but nothing definite showed in xray). He has two toes that do not bend in and grip so climbing and holding foods has become more difficult.
I would prefer not to use tramadol longterm so I'm looking for other options and thinking of tumeric suspended in optomega oil (blend of 3, 6, 9 omega fatty acids).
Bloodwork came back OK.
Any info or other ideas? I'm meeting the vet Wednesday to re-evaluate.

note: I have a Morton's neuroma plus plantar fasciatis on the same foot and I have found daily cumin (Theracumin brand) does help with pain relief for me.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have used the spice for Gizmo in her foods to help with arthritis. She definitely showed improvement with it.

I used it in bird bread and mixed it with her pellets.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have used the spice for Gizmo in her foods to help with arthritis. She definitely showed improvement with it.

I used it in bird bread and mixed it with her pellets.
Thank-you, it is good, and encouraging, to hear it had an effect!
Was the vet able to give you a dosage or were you "winging it"?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank-you, it is good, and encouraging, to hear it had an effect!
Was the vet able to give you a dosage or were you "winging it"?

Winging it for sure. When I started I had just a "sees birds" vet, and she was definitely not interested in holistic solutions.

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
My bird has a tumor and i have read about Golden paste for birds.
Its is made of turmeric, black pepper and coconut oil and it should help fight this disease and many others.
I made some goldenpaste yesterday and mixed in with the pellets. He eats it without any problems. Hope it will help.

Last edited:

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Vera
I had not heard of golden paste so thank-you! Is it helping your bird?
I am doing something similar to that. I tried 4 different tumerics (in oil or water, and for taste) and learned the one I am taking for myself (Theracumin brand) has excellent solubility in water (which is where the golden paste recipe is going with the oil and pepper).
So I am giving Will about 1/5 capsule in a drop of water to give .1 to .15ml given orally. made fresh each time.
He also gets optomega oil from the vet separately.
I have seen some improvement in his foot. Where before all the toes would stay straight, now they do curve gently when he holds his foot up and when he goes to climb. He cannot "make a fist" or actually get much grip out of it but I am encouraged by at least it is now longer looking hyperextended but falling into a natural and relaxed position.
@TWR Thanks for the link!

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I always add it to my chop

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
@Vera
I had not heard of golden paste so thank-you! Is it helping your bird?
I am doing something similar to that. I tried 4 different tumerics (in oil or water, and for taste) and learned the one I am taking for myself (Theracumin brand) has excellent solubility in water (which is where the golden paste recipe is going with the oil and pepper).
So I am giving Will about 1/5 capsule in a drop of water to give .1 to .15ml given orally. made fresh each time.
He also gets optomega oil from the vet separately.
I have seen some improvement in his foot. Where before all the toes would stay straight, now they do curve gently when he holds his foot up and when he goes to climb. He cannot "make a fist" or actually get much grip out of it but I am encouraged by at least it is now longer looking hyperextended but falling into a natural and relaxed position.
@TWR Thanks for the link!

Ok, I know this is a relatively old thread, but I have a very similar situation with one of my fids. What is optomega oil? Is it something that has to be purchased at the vet? Or can I get it otc? If you don't mind me asking, is Will still with you? I'm sorry if I'm being rude, I'm just curious. We're at our wits end with this, and trying to find help for a situation like ours is almost impossible.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@Jean20057
I get it from my vet, here's a description I found... it's used for EFAs (essential fatty acids)
USANA Optomega | USANA
Sadly, Will passed a year ago. He seemed "off" so I took him to vet and we did bloodwork and I even think an xray. They came back just fine, except a bit dehydrated so they did give sub-q fluids. But eventually, I think it was just his time. He was somewhere around 45 years old. That's beyond estimates I've found for Blue-crowned Conure lifespans.
He was a special guy and made such an impression on me.
I hope you can figure something out with your fid. Are you working with an avian vet at all?

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
@MommyBird
Aww, I'm sorry for your loss. They really do dig their little beaks right into our hearts, don't they? And 45 years is a great lifespan for a conure.

Unfortunately no vets will work with us on this. They aren't vets that work with homeopathic options. One is a wait and see, and the other is quick to suggest euthanasia for their "suffering" without even trying all we can. And he's definitely not strong enough for blood tests and x-rays. We just lost another one of our keets to getting x-rays, and she was far stronger than he is now.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@MommyBird
Unfortunately no vets will work with us on this. They aren't vets that work with homeopathic options. One is a wait and see, and the other is quick to suggest euthanasia for their "suffering" without even trying all we can. And he's definitely not strong enough for blood tests and x-rays. We just lost another one of our keets to getting x-rays, and she was far stronger than he is now.
Dr McCluggage is a holistic vet with a good reputation and I used to take my birds to him a long time ago before he moved even farther away from me. I believe he would do consults, especially with a vet on your end too. Or there may be some info in the articles on his website for you.
WellVet.com & Chaparral Animal Health Center

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
Omg thank you! I will take a look at that right now! And I'll have to bring it up to our vet. Can I ask, did Will have any bumps, like, inside but that you could see poking out? Essentially looking like an abdominal hernia?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Omg thank you! I will take a look at that right now! And I'll have to bring it up to our vet. Can I ask, did Will have any bumps, like, inside but that you could see poking out? Essentially looking like an abdominal hernia?
no, Will was bump free exterior and on xrays. His problem was arthritic feet and a weaker heart as he got older. Didn't help I live at 1.5 miles (7500 ft) altitude for that I guess, but this was his home with somebody who loved him bunches.

Jean20057

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kristen
I can tell you cared for him a great deal just from chatting what we have. And anywhere you lived was the perfect place for him, as long as he was in a loving home with you.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I give mine stuff from Dr. O...it's 1 gram of tumeric in 10mls of distilled water with 1 gram of ginger. I have .06ml for 60 gram bird. I just put it on their nutriberries. Celebrex seems to be a staple now in my house for several. The oldest and sickest heart birds also get tramadol. I was to the point that I didn't think Lola had any quality of life. I asked to put him on tramadol and he completely turned around.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I give mine stuff from Dr. O...it's 1 gram of tumeric in 10mls of distilled water with 1 gram of ginger. I have .06ml for 60 gram bird. I just put it on their nutriberries. Celebrex seems to be a staple now in my house for several. The oldest and sickest heart birds also get tramadol. I was to the point that I didn't think Lola had any quality of life. I asked to put him on tramadol and he completely turned around.
yes, I make a new batch of Celebrex about every 2 weeks here for freshness.
And, Will was on tramadol also towards the end. It did help as much as anything could I think in helping him be comfortable.
We are always looking for the least harmful and most helpful thing for our older ones.
I'm so glad to hear Lola had a wonderful result!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
yes, I make a new batch of Celebrex about every 2 weeks here for freshness.
And, Will was on tramadol also towards the end. It did help as much as anything could I think in helping him be comfortable.
We are always looking for the least harmful and most helpful thing for our older ones.
I'm so glad to hear Lola had a wonderful result!
I'm so sorry you lost Will...seems not too long ago you just picked him up. Love these older babies but boy they sure are hard on your heart.